Cyprus: I need a GOOD installer in Peyia/Paphos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
Thanks for the replies,

I've not checked in for weeks as I thought I had notification set for replies to the topic, but apparently I didn't.

@wanann: Thanks for the offer Adrian, but I think this may require a little more than a re-alignment. Once we've got the system stable you'll be a useful person to know.

@Zorba: You clearly know you're stuff and you have the same Freesat box my Dad has over there, although currently he's using a Pace2600C1.

...The original DH dish comes with different struts for the LNB and the rear mount on your dish is not the original,they don't even fit on the supplied pole properly, so they have a bit of freeplay in strong winds which is not good as a movement of even 1 inch will lose bbc.

Is this something that can be fixed/repaired/made good?

Your dad can not get bbc1 south. He probably means bbc1 london on 974.(we can only get bbc1 london,scotland ireland and wales). ITV meridian E is the weakest out of all the itvs although it should work in Peyia,especially if you have a pace 2600.There are stronger transmitters that you can tune manually. His "friend" seemed to know how to but he must have got the instructions mixed up.

I am based in Limassol and it would use up half a day to come and sort it out so i am trying to help you here. Do you know if ch 180,(ITV4+1) works all night because if it does then you can have an ITV that does work.

I'm really not sure what he can get, he seems to be watching what he can get and just ignoring what no-longer works.

I'll be over there from this Thursday (late) for 2 weeks and will check out what channels he can/can't get on Friday. Are there any channels he should be able to get I can look out for that would help deduce whether it's certain transponders (is that the right word?) he can no longer get channels from?

I appreciate it would take you half a day, but do you thing you'd be able to put it right if we could agree a suitable price? I'll be able to give a LOT more detail from next Friday, things like available channels, type of cable and anything else you'd like me to check.

Thanks,

Mark.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Ther Pace 2600 has got a very good tuner.
A 4 inch diameter pole should fit better for your mount.Have you got 4 struts on the back of the dish, from the ring to the edge ?
On 2D strongest channels - ch4 104, next strongest bbc1 london 101/974,next-itv channels on 10.832H and itv4+1 on 180,next itv2+1 on 131.
So, if itv2 +1 is working then everything else is working.
I go off on my holidays on wednesday for 2 weeks.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
Zorba said:
Ther Pace 2600 has got a very good tuner.
A 4 inch diameter pole should fit better for your mount.Have you got 4 struts on the back of the dish, from the ring to the edge ?

I believe the pole is concreted in so I'm not sure how easy it'll be to replace it with a 4" one. I don't recall there being any struts on the back of the dish, that doesn't mean they aren't there.

On 2D strongest channels - ch4 104, next strongest bbc1 london 101/974,next-itv channels on 10.832H and itv4+1 on 180,next itv2+1 on 131. So, if itv2 +1 is working then everything else is working.

I'll check that when I get there, is 2D the potential problem satellite for reception issues then?

I go off on my holidays on wednesday for 2 weeks.

That's a shame (for us, not for you:D), we'll be flying home the Thursday after you get back from you holiday. There's 2 options here.

1/ I get as much information together and we see if we can get you to sort things for my Dad after I get home. The fact you are so far away is obviously still a consideration. I'm thinking new cable runs may be necessary to get the best signal, and I'd like to get his Humax connected AND his Pace 2600 if we can work out a sensible routing option.

2/ We find someone else with the Zorba level abilities, perhaps a little closer to Peyia?. Would you know anyone to recommend?

Have a great holiday,

Mark.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Going to Paphos is no problem, I go 2 or 3 times a month on average. First we have to see what is the actual problem. You can ask your dad to try 101/974(bbc london depends where your card came from),104,180 178 and 131(and while your at it, 321 true movies, at around 9pm Cyprus time and see which ones are working or breaking up.(a 5 minute phone call) I wouldn't mind having a go,also confirm dish diameter.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
Zorba said:
Going to Paphos is no problem, I go 2 or 3 times a month on average.

OK, you look like the man for the job then, we need to discuss likely costs etc?

First we have to see what is the actual problem. You can ask your dad to try 101/974(bbc london depends where your card came from),104,180 178 and 131(and while your at it, 321 true movies, at around 9pm Cyprus time and see which ones are working or breaking up.(a 5 minute phone call) I wouldn't mind having a go,

I'll get him to test those channel tomorrow & report back tomorrow

also confirm dish diameter.

That'll have to wait until Friday I'm afraid, there's no way he'll be able to sort that out. I know you're away, but if I check the info and post it it'll be there on your return.

Perhaps we should take this to email now? I'll PM my details :)

Thanks again,

Mark.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
Zorba said:
try 101/974(bbc london depends where your card came from),104,180 178 and 131(and while your at it, 321 true movies, at around 9pm Cyprus time and see which ones are working or breaking up.

I got my Dad to check the channels you mentioned this evening...

101 = Nothing
974 = OK
104 = OK
180 = OK
178 = Nothing
131 = Badly pixelated/breaking up or Nothing

Does this shed any light on anything?

Thanks,

Mark.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Well, this is how a 3m works in Limassol in peak summer humidity . So maybe its how a 2.7m might work in Peyia in the same conditions, if not installed perfectly.
Don't forget your tape measure (metric).

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
Zorba said:
Well, this is how a 3m works in Limassol in peak summer humidity . So maybe its how a 2.7m might work in Peyia in the same conditions, if not installed perfectly.
Don't forget your tape measure (metric).

I'm in Cyprus now and have checked the setup.

It definitely is a 3M Dish and there's 2 x 47M run of RG6U 75 Ohms cable to the set top box.

The dish is definitely securely mounted and is braced to the frame behind.

We used to be able to get more channels, but there's no usable ITV at all in the evening (even using 'Additional Channels' option on the sky box).

No movie channels seem to work either, but Sky sports 1 & 2 seem ok.

I'm wondering whether a re-calibration may be all that's needed, but someone who knows exactly what they're doing and with the correct equipment.

I'm going to try and upload some pics (I got in trouble for linking to them in my webspace last time.

Thanks,

Mark.

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1685.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1688.jpg
    IMG_1688.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 36

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
47Mts (155 feet) is still a fairly long cable run, critical for reception of weak satellites. Signal loss over this length will be approx 15dB @ 2Ghz. Need to get the dish performing well first and then look at the cable run, maybe changing it for a quality type (an option).

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
satelliteman said:
47Mts (155 feet) is still a fairly long cable run, critical for reception of weak satellites. Signal loss over this length will be approx 15dB @ 2Ghz. Need to get the dish performing well first and then look at the cable run, maybe changing it for a quality type (an option).

Is that quality CABLE? or Dish? < hopes cable ;) >

What would be a quality cable for this purpose?

Thanks,

Mark.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
That maybe the norm over there but without seeing the cable it's hard to say as there are many variants of RG6U quality. Double screened copper to copper is the better type.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
satelliteman said:
That maybe the norm over there but without seeing the cable it's hard to say as there are many variants of RG6U quality. Double screened copper to copper is the better type.

I didn't realise there was more than 1 type of RG6U.

All this says on it is RG6U Coaxial Cable 75 OHMS - DEAS - CE - Best Quality and the length markers. The cable is white which is probably better in the heat over here. Much shorter routes are possible, but requires a channel & conduit to be created across the drive. This is what I originally instructed they did. The shorter run would also have less turns.

Without un-terminating the end I can't tell what the screening is.

I'll see about getting the dish re-aligned & go from there.

If better cable is an option it'll need to be a significantly better cable than is there at the moment.

Mark.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
As said, an option.

shane77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin/VU+/AzBoxMe/TM5400 and many more odds and sods
My Location
notts uk
Maybe take a small tv up to the dish, make a small cable run 5m and see if the signal improves?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
shane77 said:
Maybe take a small tv up to the dish, make a small cable run 5m and see if the signal improves?

Today I arranged for a local guy to come on Tuesday so I'll post back after that if I need any more help :)

Thanks,

Mark.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Hi Mark I just got back from my holiday and to my computer. the rg6u that some installers use is just standard uhf cable and its possible you might be losing some signal .Also I see you have what we call an astrotwat dish. See how the mount is wider than the pole it sits on. You can get your fingers in that gap,might just need alignment.And it looks like the dish is facing the house.
Coincidentally I have been asked to check a dish at Coral Bay that is having BBC/ITV problems and might be going this week. Let us know what your man says or does.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
Zorba said:
Hi Mark I just got back from my holiday and to my computer. the rg6u that some installers use is just standard uhf cable and its possible you might be losing some signal .Also I see you have what we call an astrotwat dish. See how the mount is wider than the pole it sits on. You can get your fingers in that gap,might just need alignment.And it looks like the dish is facing the house.
Coincidentally I have been asked to check a dish at Coral Bay that is having BBC/ITV problems and might be going this week. Let us know what your man says or does.

I thought I was going to miss you because you were away fro 2 weeks? I've arranged to have someone else pop over tomorrow to see what he can achieve. If that doesn't work out I'll be in touch, but the guy seems to know what he's talking about and will be using a Trimax 2500 professional meter.

I'm off home Thursday so not a lot of time to get anything else sorted before then.

I'll keep you informed :)

Thanks,

Mark.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Mark Falsebeard said:
I thought I was going to miss you because you were away fro 2 weeks? I've arranged to have someone else pop over tomorrow to see what he can achieve. If that doesn't work out I'll be in touch, but the guy seems to know what he's talking about and will be using a Trimax 2500 professional meter.

I'm off home Thursday so not a lot of time to get anything else sorted before then.

I'll keep you informed :)

Thanks,

Mark.
So,are you watching weakest link now ?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyHD (500gb)
Shopping 4 Non-Sky
My Location
Maidstone, Kent.
Sorry so late in replying, being on holiday means I'm sometimes off doing stuff with family as well as sorting out my Dad's TV.

Yes, all fixed & happy, got a 20%ish signal strength improvement over the originally bad alignment.

I'm getting ITV Meridian on 103 even later at night and a whole load of channels are back :)

Wanann from these forums popped over from Paphos and sorted out the alignment. That was all that was needed.

Even though the original installer didn't do as we asked it does appear than there wasn't too much problem with signal loss due to the additional cable run. The original alignment was apparently not very good at all though, and Adrian had that sorted fairly quickly.

Thanks for everyone's help here, I'm off home tomorrow leaving my Dad with all his channels back.

Mark.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Excellent news - I've been following this story over the weeks and am really pleased it is all sorted out.

I hope you had a good holiday, too! :)