Dishpointer - obstruction height - reference point?

ched999uk

My Satellite Setup
zone 1 sky type dish with quad lnb @28.2e, zone 2 sky dish with octo lnb @ 19.2e and Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
Looking at Dishpointer to assist in setting up a new dish. I have a good South facing wall to mount dish on that is above a good ground floor flat roof so no balancing on ladders :)
I have been looking at Dishpointers obstacle calculator and it is suggests I might have a problem. Looking at it, the buildings to the rear are 25m away and need to be under 11.9m high. I guestimate the peak height of the building is about 12m maybe a little more as they are 3 story Victorian with a high roof.

Does anyone know what reference dish height they are using to determine the height of the maximum height the obstacle can be?
i.e. Do they calculate it as if the dish is ground mounted or first floor level etc?

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I believe the reference points are from ground level. It might even be sea-level but don't quote me on that. So if your dish is on the ground, then it needs 11.9m height clearance for objects 25m away. If your dish is on the wall 2m up, then it only need 9.9m height clearance.

ched999uk

My Satellite Setup
zone 1 sky type dish with quad lnb @28.2e, zone 2 sky dish with octo lnb @ 19.2e and Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
I believe the reference points are from ground level. It might even be sea-level but don't quote me on that. So if your dish is on the ground, then it needs 11.9m height clearance for objects 25m away. If your dish is on the wall 2m up, then it only need 9.9m height clearance.
That is what I was hoping. The dish should be about 4m up and about 10m above sea level.
Thanks.

mosllam

My Satellite Setup
240 cm local motorized dish and 2 fixd 180 cm local dish with multi lnb VU+ DUO 2 yuner in use
My Location
Egypt- Cairo
the obstacle height is measured from the base of the dish

means the lowest point in dish surface that reflect signale when it is pointed at a certin sat

right - if the dish is two metre high thin you should dudect 2 m from the obstacle height

sorry if the pictre is to big

hope someone give me a link on how to orgnize the post and make pic small like other posts

dishpointer-opist--405w_zps4db2a255.jpg

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Do not calculate, just watch Sun next week. At certain time of the day Sun will be right behind all satellites on Clarke belt. So, if at that time you see shadow from building on your wall than place antenna above shadow.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
My Location
uk
Or buy a laser pen like I have done today and precisely cut a piece of wood to the degree of the satellite of your choice, put it on level ground and aim it in the sat direction keep raising it until it clears the obstacle,
Measure the distance to the ground and fit the dish accordingly.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Or just download the few app for your mobile.