DM800 Tuner and Motor Problems.

215liverpool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1meter dish & DM500HD
My Location
Hertfordshire
Hi peeps,

I have used the search button to try and find my answers before I create another thread ! :-ohmy)

All the other threads on the tuner and motor problems on the DM800 seem to be relatively old. Does this mean all these problems are supposed to have been sorted out in the newer images ?

My DM800 does drive the motor but when it wants to. So I know the motor does work with my DM800. It just has a life of its own. I used the increased voltage option under the LNB settings but it hasn't done anything.

I know there are new drivers that can be installed that are supposed to correct the motor problems but aren't these included in the newer images ?

Also the tuner in my DM800 is soooooooo slow in registering a signal that I drive the dish past the correct position because it's so slow in updating when I try to program in my motor positions.

I have tried two images Nabilo Blackhole V12 and Gemini 4.5 but it hasn't made much difference.

Are other people still having these problems or is it just me ?

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
With regards to driving the motor I would try USALS if you are using a diseqc motor. Personally I found the 800 to work better like this. Probably it will solve your problem. Of course I am assuming your cable and connections are ok.

215liverpool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1meter dish & DM500HD
My Location
Hertfordshire
springer said:
With regards to driving the motor I would try USALS if you are using a diseqc motor. Personally I found the 800 to work better like this. Probably it will solve your problem. Of course I am assuming your cable and connections are ok.

Well it works fine with my DM600 but it doesn't seem to like the DM800.

When my motor was initially installed it was set up manually and not with USALS ( by the installer)

Can I still revert back to USALS if this is the case ?

Many Thanks

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
Should not be a problem. Infact you can use two receivers on same motor (of course NOT at once) one using USALS and the other using manual positioning.
For USALS just put your position co ordinates in Tuner Configuration menu. Then try to fine tune by adjusting east/west co ordinates till you get best reception. If you are lucky and dish is set up accurately you should be ok with your exact co ordinates but usually these have to be adjusted slightly.

215liverpool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1meter dish & DM500HD
My Location
Hertfordshire
It's really odd.

I've installed an older image and ( The last EDG Nemesis DM800 image) I now seem to have more luck moving the dish.

The tuner strength is still playing up a bit, saying that signal strength on certain satellites is low when I know that on my DM600 it was a lot stronger. Doesn't bother me as the tuner seems to lock on at a lot lower strength signal now. I can now lock on to transponders now on my DM800 that I couldn't have previously on my DM600. Even in last nights rain storm ! :p

Anyways I am making progress so I am happy. :)

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
I've had a very similar issue for a long time. I had it will my 800 and now I still have it with my 8000. I know my dish is bang on it always has been, I fitted it myself. I get good results using USALS, always have done. My problem is, only certain channels with move the dish. for example if I'm on 1w or 13 or 19e and I hit sly one UK, the dish won't move. If I hit Nat Geo it moves. There are many other examples of channels that move the dish and those that don't on all satellites.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
B16MCC, with the 2100, try hard resetting the motor (pin hole underneath) if you can get to the dish.

Also check connections as poor terminations can cause corrupt DISEqC/usals goto X commands.

It may be the motor itself.

215liverpool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1meter dish & DM500HD
My Location
Hertfordshire
My dish is set up manually, I never really had much luck with USALS.

My DM600 moves the dish fine. It's just the DM800 the motor doesn't like. So I don't think there are any connection problems.

Not quite sure why but when I use an older DM800 image (EDG Nemesis) it seems to move the dish. Not as well as my old TM1500 but probably just as well as my DM600.

p.s. I have a proper box not a clone !

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
B16MCC said:
My problem is, only certain channels with move the dish. for example if I'm on 1w or 13 or 19e and I hit sly one UK, the dish won't move. If I hit Nat Geo it moves. There are many other examples of channels that move the dish and those that don't on all satellites.

Usually that is due to the voltage difference distributed by the receiver to the lnb to change polarity. A Vertical polarity gets 13v whilst a Horizontal polarity gets 18v. So if you change to a channel with a frequency with Horizontal polarity the voltage running from receiver through the motor to the lnb will be 18v against the 13v for a vertical polarity. Of course this helps motor to run more easily. Dreamboxes are known to be prone to low voltage output. Hence the option in satellite config. to put a higher voltage to lnb. Infact when I once measured a 500 (without load, motor and lnb not connected) it was reading 11.5v when it should have been 13v and 17v instead of 18v. When I checked my Humax it was reading 14v and 18.5v! ;)

215liverpool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1meter dish & DM500HD
My Location
Hertfordshire
Hi there

My motor has stopped moving again and I feel like throwing the box out of the effing window ! 'O'

I've had a thought and I don't know if its possible but would I be able to run a VBOX with my DM800 so that can move the dish ? Would that stop the problems I am having with my dish ?

Please help

Regards

springer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HDse
motorized 1.8m
My Location
Malta
A Diseqc Positioner should solve the problem but I would try USALS first as box should be able to turn motor.

215liverpool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1meter dish & DM500HD
My Location
Hertfordshire
I've just wasted another day trying to set my DM800 up.

Before I buy a V Box to drive the satellite I came up with the idea of finding the satellites with my DM600 and then swapping the lnb cable over to my DM800 then saving the motor positions down on to my DM800.

This was working fine and have been scanning the channels from the satellites I have been finding no problem. BUT !!!!!

Now when I go to move to different satellite positions it either drives the dish as far east as it possible can or as far west as it possibly can.

The weird thing is that the only motor position that it remembers correctly is 13 degrees east. Which incidently was the first one that I programmed in.

Can anyone share any wisdom on what they think might be happenning ? LOL

p.s. I'm now using Nabilo Blackhole v12

Thanks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm800 90cmdish and motek 2100a www.expert-ict.co.uk
My Location
lancashire uk
I have had the exact same propblems as you , I find if i use the fine tune to move the dish to the possition i want it will work but this takes ages and some time when i store a new position in i loose all my old one , this drives me nuts.

i have been watching the dish as i move it to the new positions and when i first select a channel on another satellite the dish moves slighty then stops , if i then start to flick through all the channels it will eventualy move to the wanted satellite.

its been doing my head in now for so long i just use my old dm7000 to set up the positions and use the same stored positions in the tuner config of the dm800

karl

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
I have just returned a brand new DM8000 to Dream because the motor would not move when changing satellites. Their support said its a faulty tuner but I am now having my doubts. It ws suggested I put a DVB-S tuner in one of the spare slots, great stuff. Spend £800 on a new box and get told to spend another £50 on another tuner. I am doing a Google on the problem to see if its a common DM fault.

DSat

Plank
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800
My Location
North
This isn't going to be much help, because I don't know what I did... but...

I had this exact problem. It was very annoying. Certain channels randomly would not move the dish. Once you'd selected a channel on a sat and it didn't move, it was then a case of having to go back to another sat, then back again, as the box thought it was already there so wouldn't try to move again.

Anyway, I was running advanced mode, using "all satellites" and after reading some posts started to experiment with setting each sat up separately. Halfway through I needed to get it working again for a footy match so just set it back to "all satellites" temporarily and it has worked flawlessly ever since (touch wood). Been a while now and hasn't failed to move once.

Not changed anything else.... BH12.

Scared to flash another image now as problem might return !