DM8000 How many Streams can it decode & record??

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IT: 1 x iMax 27" Quad Core, 2 x iMac 24" (running OSX & OSX Server) 1 x Macbook Air
AV: MacMini Plex Media Centre, SpearNZB Episode Downloader, DM500, DM8000
My Location
uk
Hi,

I am still interested in purchasing a DM8000.

I have been looking seriously for a month and they are still virtually impossible to buy even if you can afford the hefty price tag.

(Its no-wonder the chinese copy DM kit, they create the demand by poor production runs and the chinese take advantage)

Anyway, with 4 tuner slots, I would like to know how many streams the box is capable of descrambling / recording if anyone has done any tests.

One AV techy guy I was talking to the other day doubted it would be able to operate at the physical capacity of all tuners because of the mpeg hardware decoders abilities.

I said I would ask the question here because I am likely to get an honest tired & tested answer :-)

Thanks in advance.

meagain123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skydigibox, DM8000, DM800, SkyStar2 CI
My Location
UK
The user manual says ‘The number of simultaneous recordings depends on the number of services residing on a transponder. It is possible to make up to eight simultaneous recordings.’

I only have 2 tuners fitted but I’ve just recorded 4 programmes and watched a HD recording I had made previously. I hope this goes part way to answering your question.

Regards,
meagain

DeepDiver

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vista- DreamBox 7020Si Nabilo Darkstar II -7025+ Black Hole 0.11 - DM8000 BlackHole 0.11
My Location
Mariana Trench - Pacific Ocean
meagain123 said:
The user manual says ‘The number of simultaneous recordings depends on the number of services residing on a transponder. It is possible to make up to eight simultaneous recordings.’

Regards,
meagain

That is correct, however it only applies to DVB SAT tuners.
DVB T tuners only allow 1 record. I ignore about DVB-C tuners

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IT: 1 x iMax 27" Quad Core, 2 x iMac 24" (running OSX & OSX Server) 1 x Macbook Air
My Location
uk
Thanks for the replies.

@meagain123
I assume the 4 recordings worked ok, no freezing or signs that the box was struggling?

I am unlikely to want to use the box to the manuals suggested capacity, and I must admit I would be pleasantly surprised........no make that incredibly impressed, if it really could record 8 channels at once without any performance or recording issues on any of the streams.

meagain123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
healeydave said:
Thanks for the replies.

@meagain123
I assume the 4 recordings worked ok, no freezing or signs that the box was struggling?

Just recorded BBC1,2,3&4 and watched a HD recording whilst the other channels recorded. Just ran the recordings for five mins. No signs of any problems whilst recording or watching the recordings afterwards.

Regards,
meagain123

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
meagain123 said:
Just recorded BBC1,2,3&4 and watched a HD recording whilst the other channels recorded. Just ran the recordings for five mins. No signs of any problems whilst recording or watching the recordings afterwards.

Regards,
meagain123

Thanks, that's great news!

Sorry, I would have replied earlier, but I only just got the email from the forum whilst your reply says 6 days ago

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
ok, DM8000 is on order, just found someone with 20 (well 19 now) :-)

meagain123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I moved from Cuberevo/IPbox and I'm very happy with the DM8000 I think you will be too!