Don't forget to put your clocks back!

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
The VU+ has updated and is showing the correct (I.E. European) time. The Dr HD is not but is in standby and was locked onto 4W when I last used it. Rural France is still on 1959...and I don't mean a minute to six o'clock, though I do prefer that it is....

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
A minute to eight, surely!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
My Technomate and DrHD boxes have to be changed manually, so I did that last night as I had a recording set for this morning at 7am.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
That'll teach Ross not to read the entire thread :p

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Trying to get the oven, microwave and fridge to show exactly the same time is a pita :mad:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Our microwave has a knob for a timer....

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Posh. And I thought ours was advanced when it had a digital temperature display. ;)
Buttons galore, don't even start me on the oven and microwave oven! You should see how thick the instruction booklets are! Having said that though it is all very logical (German!) :)

Last edited:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
So, did as many clocks as I could think of early last evening, tried to go to bed half an hour later than usual, but still woke with jet-lag.

And now to find and alter all the other clocks what I forgot eg Clever Heating Programmer doesn't do the BST/GMT switch automatically, neither do the Cars. Sat Boxes sometimes do and sometimes don't.

And I recall from previous occasions there will still be the odd one I have completely forgotten - but (obviously!) I can't remember which one/ones it is/they are.

The mystery is solved.

My life is such that I frequently need a siesta, so at 2.15 this afternoon I set the Alarm Function on the DECT phone to wake me at 3.45pm.

Sadly, I hadn't reset the Clock Function to Z Time (Quite literally) and got a rude awakening after only 30 minutes!

Feeling a tad grumpy now :mad:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
:-lol an early night then for you then G :)

Always is - generally in bed by 9pm and asleep anywhere from 9.30 and 10.30. Sometimes fatigue just hits in a trice and other times it doesn't.

And the blasted jet-lag hasn't abated yet as I was wide awake at o'crack sparrow f*rt again ths morning. Pesky clocks.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Bloody hate DST, out moded crap so it is....My Technomate righted itself as did my high end Chinese android phone.........just before it sent all my personal details to the evil superpower..........Google!! lol

A

archive10

Trying to get the oven, microwave and fridge to show exactly the same time is a pita :mad:
We'll how about his for an idea:
What if the power companies modulated the current time-of-day on to the grid.
Then all compatible devices could read the exact time-of-day from the net at any given time, and would always, *ALWAYS* be set right.
Could be low-frequenecy. It's just 50 bits or so, and with some padding, 64.
As time has this remarkable property of being slow-changing and predictable, it could be done relatively slow, so that other things like power-line IP/broad´band is not disturbed.
Non-compatible devices would never know it's there.

How about that: All electrical devices fed of mains would always know what the time was!!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
We'll how about his for an idea:
What if the power companies modulated the current time-of-day on to the grid.
Then all compatible devices could read the exact time-of-day from the net at any given time, and would always, *ALWAYS* be set right.
Could be low-frequenecy. It's just 50 bits or so, and with some padding, 64.
As time has this remarkable property of being slow-changing and predictable, it could be done relatively slow, so that other things like power-line IP/broad´band is not disturbed.
Non-compatible devices would never know it's there.

How about that: All electrical devices fed of mains would always know what the time was!!

Sounds like a good idea, although I suspect cheap manufacturers would ignore it to keep costs down. We've already got radio time signals everyone could use.