Dr.HD F15 - A review.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I didn't intend buying another receiver, I really didn't...but as my multi sat project progressed I came round to the idea that a receiver which had reports of a very sensitive tuner might be a good option to have on the motorised dish, rather than trying to integrate that using the VU+ and setting it up with the switching for the multi sat. I was (and still am) very impressed with my VU+ Solo. It has a better tuner than my previous Manhattan or Vantage receivers, once set up it's very easy to operate and I found that a Linux based STB wasn't as difficult to use as I'd feared. But I couldn't afford another Solo or indeed to replace it with a Duo and use the motor on the second tuner. So, having read a few posts on the forum and seeing that it was priced at about £150 I ordered a F15.

It's physically quite small, lacks an alpha numeric front display and seems to run on the warm side. It's GUI is ermm....a bit retro and I found the way it displayed the channels as annoying as I did the Vantage. However, thanks to one of the really helpful members on here (Vipersan) I got that sorted (merely knowing which button to press!) and I also have some beta firmware and a channel and satellite editor. I've left the new firmware for now (a visit by a stepdaughter and sister in law punctuated by a possible rebooting of the F15 from time to time can lead to severe repercussions) In fact the F15 is very much as it was when I first set it up.

The good points : It will lock on to and hold a fringe signal better than the VU+. The difference is marginal admittedly but as an example it will hold Arabmotors on Badr 6 steady when on the VU+ it starts to break up. The remote is well thought out, chunky and glows in the dark! It seems to drive the motor more quickly than the VU+. I haven't had a chance to time a full sweep of my arc (57°E - 22°W) but I'm certain it will be quicker.

The less good points : Picture quality isn't quite up to the VU+, despite supporting 1080p. I know there's an upgrade in the new firmware and that the 1080p would only be upscaled anyway but it's definitely a bit 'soft' on HD, though perhaps I'm hypercritical. There's a distinct lack of space to store satellites and as I said the menu's I found a bit unintuitive. ( I'm sure the firmware upgrade will address most of these)

Overall I'd give it 8/10 but my VU+ would beat it by a point. That's purely on ease of use and flexibility. The F15 is a true enthusiasts STB and will do all you need it to do. You can read about the F15 here : _http://www.dr-hd.ie/f15.html

If anyone would like screenshots etc. let me know and I'll do my best to accomodate you. (Note, it will be next week before the F15 is 'online' again)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
This is the best I could do Nano. Getting a shot of the STB isn't easy without taking it off the unit LOL. Other photos should be self explanatory. I did a scan of AB4 as it was crystal clear this morning. Needless to say I just got my usual lot from 7°W and some others from 8°W but I was doing a network scan.

I forgot to mention the F15 will blind scan and (other than on E.G. 19°E) seems to take about 30 mins in 4Mhz steps. I believe this is a software only scan.

Attachments

• DrHD.jpg
    DrHD.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 323
  • Scan menu.jpg
    Scan menu.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 343
  • 7°W.jpg
    7°W.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 270
  • Full info.jpg
    Full info.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 26°E.jpg
    26°E.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 231

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
nanochickin said:
Looks like a nice bit of kit Pete, even if it is quite small :D

As my Dad used to say "good things come in small packages" LOL.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
the F15 will blind scan and (other than on E.G. 19°E) seems to take about 30 mins in 4Mhz steps. I believe this is a software only scan.
That's too fast for software blind scan, but pretty slow for hardware scan so should be pretty thorough. The Openbox is supposed to be able to do a full scan in 2 to 3 minutes. Maybe VS could confirm if this is true.

AlphaOm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital - Thor 5, Thor 6
75cm Visiosat Bisat - Astra1, Astra2, Hotbird
My Location
South Wales, UK
Thanks for the review and the pictures, Pete. I do feel tempted now.
Did you have the opportunity to test the spectrum analyser?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
AlphaOm said:
Thanks for the review and the pictures, Pete. I do feel tempted now.
Did you have the opportunity to test the spectrum analyser?

No, not yet. (though I doubt whether I could interpret it's readings!) I can't get it to display more than a simple graph line, though I'm sure it's possible to make it look more like a proper spectrum display (which it shows in the manual).

strs65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Decoders: VU+ Uno, DR.HD F15
DVB cards: TBS6983, TBS 6925
Dish 1: Tecatel 1.10m
LNB1: Smart Oxid
Motor: Amiko DM3800
Dish 2: Gibertini 125L, with actuator
LNB2: Invacom QDF-031
My Location
Greece (Crete - Chania)
Some pictures with the latest firmware 1.21pSE, and the new HD GUI. Third picture presents the spectrum analyzer.

P7284341.jpg

Attachments

• P7284336.jpg
    P7284336.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 271
  • P7284340.jpg
    P7284340.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 238
  • P7284338.jpg
    P7284338.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 278

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
That looks so much nicer!! But the spectrum still doesn't look as it's shown in the manual. Maybe it is the way I have it set up.

strs65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Decoders: VU+ Uno, DR.HD F15
DVB cards: TBS6983, TBS 6925
Dish 1: Tecatel 1.10m
LNB1: Smart Oxid
Motor: Amiko DM3800
Dish 2: Gibertini 125L, with actuator
LNB2: Invacom QDF-031
My Location
Greece (Crete - Chania)
It probably won't look as it is shown in the manual*. I've read that the developers chose the new appearance to speed up the analyser.

*I think this was the look in the very first version of the firmware.

AlphaOm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital - Thor 5, Thor 6
75cm Visiosat Bisat - Astra1, Astra2, Hotbird
My Location
South Wales, UK
sonnetpete said:
No, not yet. (though I doubt whether I could interpret it's readings!)

No doubt I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do with the readings, but considering that for some reason I seem to enjoy observing the bar graphs for my signals' strength and quality (feeling very proud when they're optimum, and thinking about ways to improve them when they're not... Don't ask...), I'm sure that would prove to be way more entertaining! :)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
sonnetpete said:
....It seems to drive the motor more quickly than the VU+. I haven't had a chance to time a full sweep of my arc (57°E - 22°W) but I'm certain it will be quicker....

The F15 is back online (my visitors departed for the ferry at 9:15 this morning!) and I just timed a full sweep of my arc west to east. 52 seconds, which is substantially quicker than the VU+ manages (from memory nearer to 90 seconds). I don't know how this compares with an actuator and polar mount but considering it's driving a 1.2M dish I'm quite impressed.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
good review, I take it there is a card and cam slot behind a cover at the front ?

I did read somewhere probably a post by vipersan that the satellite list is fixed but I wonder if we could edit the out of reach satellite positions if needed.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
wod said:
good review, I take it there is a card and cam slot behind a cover at the front ?

I did read somewhere probably a post by vipersan that the satellite list is fixed but I wonder if we could edit the out of reach satellite positions if needed.

Yes Wod, there is the 'usual' card and cam slot (plus a USB socket) behind the panel. It wasn't mentioned as I didn't want to pad out a review with a list of specs that can be found on the 'net if you wanted. There's a link in my original post to the Irish dealer, where you can download a PDF of the manual. The manual is quite comprehensive and well laid out by the way.

You can alter the sat positions and rename satellites. I've already done that with a couple!! There is an editor you can use too, hopefully this week I can download the channel list etc. and sort it on the laptop. I've also got an up to date version of the firmware to load.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
I didn't intend buying another receiver, I really didn't...but as my multi sat project progressed I came round to the idea that a receiver which had reports of a very sensitive tuner might be a good option to have on the motorised dish, rather than trying to integrate that using the VU+ and setting it up with the switching for the multi sat. I was (and still am) very impressed with my VU+ Solo.
Pete, I think you're just a shopping addict. I doubt very much that the tuner on this is superior to the Vu+ (something you'll be able to confirm or dismiss in time) but you would have had no problem interfacing the Vu+ Solo with your motorised and fixed dishes. Here I have my 1.5m motorised, 1.8m fixed (28ºE), T90 and another couple of dishes all linked to Tuner A of the Vu+ Duo and it works flawlessly. I've got an SPS between my uncommitted switches and the 1.5m motorised so I can access that dish (and all its LNBs) with a second receiver at the same time as using tuner A (and :cool: on the Duo.

To me the F15 seems a backwards step for you. It uses proprietary firmware, you've done away with the ability to make nice screenshots and any 4:2:2 feeds you do find you can't stream or view. And according to VS it can't play the audio from certain channels. All you seem to have gained is a blind scan function that takes a good hour to scan one satellite, and, a spectrum analyser function that seems to be completely different from the PR bumf on the website.

What am I missing?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
Pete, I think you're just a shopping addict.

A bit harsh Huevos, the F15 may have seemed like an impulse buy but it wasn't. However, you're entitled to your opinion.

Huevos said:
I doubt very much that the tuner on this is superior to the Vu+ (something you'll be able to confirm or dismiss in time)

Well I can only go on what I've seen. Break up on Badr6 with the VU+ and a steady lock from the DrHD.

Huevos said:
...you would have had no problem interfacing the Vu+ Solo with your motorised and fixed dishes.

No, you're quite right, there wouldn't have been a problem. I know the VU+ will be easy to set up on multi sat and it's zapping ability is second to none. But I did like the idea of a seperate receiver on the motor and if I'm trying to use the motorised dish for fringe reception (and maybe C-Band) why not one that seems to have a more sensitive tuner?

Huevos said:
To me the F15 seems a backwards step for you. It uses proprietary firmware, you've done away with the ability to make nice screenshots and any 4:2:2 feeds you do find you can't stream or view. And according to VS it can't play the audio from certain channels. All you seem to have gained is a blind scan function that takes a good hour to scan one satellite, and, a spectrum analyser function that seems to be completely different from the PR bumf on the website.

I don't feedhunt and the only screenshots I take are with a camera. Not sure about the audio, though I haven't found a channel yet that won't play audio. The blind scan has taken a maximum of a half hour so far, though I have only used it on about four or five sats. The spectrum analyser is dissapointing and it isn't as comprehensive as it appears in the manual (so not strictly PR bumf)

I know it doesn't have the support of the VU+. I am going to change to an upgraded firmware. I haven't stopped using the VU+, in fact it will still be used probably 75% of the time. If you like, the Dr.HD is a step sideways, rather than backwards. I'm happy with my choices.

Huevos said:
What am I missing?

Nothing, you've been very comprehensive.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
A bit harsh Huevos
Just tongue in cheek.
sonnetpete said:
I can only go on what I've seen. Break up on Badr6 with the VU+ and a steady lock from the DrHD.
The Duo out performs receivers with mythical status (like the Pace 2600 and the Humax Foxsat), so if the F15 tuner were to out perform the Duo it would have to be pretty good. It's hard to say though because you are comparing the F15 with the Solo and I was assuming the tuner in the Solo was as good as the one in the Duo which it may not be.

sonnetpete said:
I don't feedhunt [...] The blind scan has taken a maximum of a half hour
I don't know. I was just going by a video on youtube (678afE_IWsU), of the F16. A scan from 10950 to 11150 in 1 MHz steps on 21.6ºE took 14 minutes 30 seconds and it still wasn't finished. But if you are not feed hunting the time doesn't really matter and if you are looking for new transponders in C-band those small steps are going to come in handy where there are low symbol rate transponders right next to one another.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
Just tongue in cheek.

Fair enough Huevos (though perhaps you should have added a LOL originally)

Huevos said:
The Duo out performs receivers with mythical status (like the Pace 2600 and the Humax Foxsat), so if the F15 tuner were to out perform the Duo it would have to be pretty good. It's hard to say though because you are comparing the F15 with the Solo and I was assuming the tuner in the Solo was as good as the one in the Duo which it may not be.

Unless there's a very strict quality control, I'd guess there's bound to be small differences between individual tuners regardless of Solo, Duo, Uno or Ultimo when it's released. The Solo was a big leap in sensitivity from my Vantage, whereas it seems the F15 is a small step from the Solo. I will comment that the F15's selectivity (it's ability to reject signals from close satellites?) is poor in comparison. Scanning 4°W picks up some TP's from 5°W for example. I'm pretty certain the dish is spot on, so can eliminate that.

Huevos said:
I don't know. I was just going by a video on youtube (678afE_IWsU), of the F16. A scan from 10950 to 11150 in 1 MHz steps on 21.6ºE took 14 minutes 30 seconds and it still wasn't finished. But if you are not feed hunting the time doesn't really matter and if you are looking for new transponders in C-band those small steps are going to come in handy where there are low symbol rate transponders right next to one another.

I've only tried blind scans in 4 Mhz steps so far, logic tells me a 1 Mhz step scan would take 4 times as long. A 4 Mhz step blind scan of 26°E took 28 minutes last night.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
I will comment that the F15's selectivity (it's ability to reject signals from close satellites?) is poor in comparison. Scanning 4°W picks up some TP's from 5°W for example. I'm pretty certain the dish is spot on, so can eliminate that.
That's not selectivity. Selectivity is the ability to differentiate signals on adjacent frequencies, not adjacent satellites. If signals from adjacent satellites are present on the aerial system and you do a blind search, there is no way for the tuner to know which orbital slot those signals are coming from. The only thing you can do to limit this effect is get a bigger dish. For example, on the spectrum, if I am pointing at 7ºW with the 90cm dish I can clearly see the transponders on 8ºW, but on the 1.5m dish they are only just above the noise floor so a search doesn't pick them up.

The reason you don't find signals from adjacent slots when you do a search with the Vu+ Solo is because you are doing a transponder search, i.e. you are only scanning frequencies known to exist on a particular satellite, and those frequencies are not in use on the adjacent satellites.