My Satellite Setup
Sly mini-dish with octo-LNB
Dreambox DM800 HD
Nabilosat Black Hole v0.12
CCcam v2.1.3
Sly full sub
My Location
UK
I just followed your tutorial How To Setup The Smargo Smartreader+ and now my DM800 will not boot. This happened after I edited the CCcam.cfg as instructed, and restarted from the Nabilo menu.

The LCD screen reads;

Dream
Multimedia
booting...

and the progress bar is at around 35%. On screen, it is the blue splash screen with an image of the earth with sunflowers laid over the top. It hangs before I get the Black Hole splash screen or anything else. I can't get in via FTP.

You should be able to see my set up in my signature.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @davejuk,

I don't have a DM800 (only an old DM7000S with FlashWizard Multi-boot) so I cannot be certain but if you cannot access the box via its IP address (FTP or telnet), then the only option will be to install an image via the RS232 port using DreamUp.

Making any changes to Dreambox files could cause this type of problem (although I have not known editing a Cam/Emu config file to cause such serious problems!).

It is one of the beauties of Multi-boot, that you do not have to worry too much about this type of problem. If you mess up a multi-boot image so it fails to fully boot, then you just boot another image or the base (flash) image, delete the corrupt image, re-install a fresh version of that image and try again.

If it's possible to set-up multi-boot on a DM800 then I would recommend it as it makes recovery from this type of situation so easy.

Hope you soon get it sorted.

Best wishes, John.

davejuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800 HD
CCcam v2.1.3
Sly full sub
My Location
UK
Hi John,

Thank you for your advice.

Nabilo was installed when I got it - I haven't installed any software at all. I suppose it's possible it's already multi-boot. How would I access a multi-boot menu?

This is the part of the tutorial I followed, that screwed things up:

NABILO IMAGE ...

Install the appropriate driver from this zip file. It contains Nabilo packaged drivers for the DM7025 / 800 / 8000. Ftp the correct file to /tmp and then go to the Green Panel, then addons. Select manual install of nab.tgz files. You should now see the file you FTP'd in the list. Simply select it and confirm to install.

Thanks to sonic1, ( I missed this part out.)
Edit the file /etc/init.d/bootup

you add:

echo 90 > /proc/progress
modprobe ftdi_sio

Restart enigma 2

Again, edit the CCcam.cfg to suit our new reader.

Code:

SERIAL READER : /dev/usb/tts/0 smartreader+

Reboot the box to use the new drivers.
Thats it guys.

I'm really surprised this caused such a serious problem. My PC doesn't have a serial port so I suspect this is going to be a real pain to resolve.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @davejuk,

When I last used DreamUp I used a USB to Serial Port adaptor (should be easily available). I remember having initial problems and had to install it as a serial port bridge rather than a serial port adaptor. Can't remember much about it now but they must have been choices at installation time.
You will need to use a 'Null Modem' cable between PC and DM800.

Your DM800 runs Enigma 2, whereas my old DM7000 is Enigma 1. FlashWizard is only for Enigma 1 (afaik) but I'm sure there will be some way to multi-boot an E2 Dreambox. Most times people (even the E1 folk) have little interest in multi-boot (I can only use one image at a time, why do I need that, just extra complication for no reason.....until!!).
I doubt that your box came with multi-boot but you will need to get a reply from someone familiar with E2 to find out more.

Good luck with sorting the problem.

Best wishes, John.

BTW: It will almost certainly be an error in your edit of the start-up file; /etc/init.d/bootup
that killed it. Did you make sure to use a Unix/Linux compatible editor? That is Essential!! A Windoze editor (Notepad etc) will kill it!
Also, did you make sure the file was still Executable after editing? File permissions for an Executable file must be 755 or 777.

D

deleted

Davejuk.

you will have to use dreamup with null modem cable to reflash, try not to use usb to serial as they can have issues working, it will probably take 30 mins to load so be patient

davejuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800 HD
CCcam v2.1.3
Sly full sub
My Location
UK
I have a modern motherboard so I don't have a serial port. Nor does my laptop, my old PC, or my girlfriends laptop.

I have ordered a USB to Serial port cable (fleabay item number 300476156807). I'm sure I have a null modem cable somewhere but I can order one of those as well if not.

I edited /etc/init.d/bootup using FlashFXP's built in text editor. In hindsight I should have used EditPad. I would have hoped the developer sof FlashFXP would have been aware of this kind of thing though. However I did restart Enigma 2 successfully after editing it - would you have expected the problem to become apparent then, or only when I did a full Restart?

If I do go ahead with flashing it using the USB-Serial cable, can it kill the box completely or is the worse case that it just won't do the job and I'll need to find someone with a crusty old PC from 1998?

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

D

deleted

Hi Davejuk

usb can sometimes do the job, just not as stable has some issues, worst case is image will not load as casble may have missed some bytes etc, if so find a lappy with serial port and do the way i said you should have no probs.

Could you tell me on the front panel is it displaying no CA found.

davejuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800 HD
CCcam v2.1.3
Sly full sub
My Location
UK
No, it's never said no CA found. What does that mean?

As per my original post, the LCD just displays the following when it hangs, with the progress bar at approximately 35%.

Dream
Multimedia
booting...

D

deleted

No CA error normally applies to bad flash or not passing boot stage, leaving the box inaccessible from ftp or browser dont worry it is common and can be easily fixed,

could you explain how you install your image and what method you use , ie have you tried through browser.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @davejuk,

With my DM7000S the USB to Serial either worked OK or not at all. Once installed as USB Serial Bridge, it worked fine. Give it a try and see how it goes.

As for the editing, I'm not sure about FlashFXP having a built-in editor? I remember setting it to use UltraEdit32 (Do not buy this editor there are free ones. I had bought it as part of Klona's recommendations from his Dreambox Guide). As default I thought it used Windoze Notepad but I could be wrong. However, the important thing is the Line End characters. With Windoze it is CR, LF but with Unix/Linux it is only LF. Most dual system editors will have an option in the setup to select Linux or Windoze Line Ends. This needs to be set before you save any Dreambox files back to the box.

Another option, if you have no Linux compatible editor, is to save the file back to the Dreambox and then, from a Dreambox Telnet session run the dos2unix utility before rebooting the box.
EG: dos2unix /etc/init.d/bootup [Press Enter]
If you are not sure about the format, it will do no harm to run this utility once any file has been saved back to the Dreambox. Even if the file is already in Linux form, running dos2unix will do no harm.

Hope this helps?

Best wishes, John.

davejuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800 HD
CCcam v2.1.3
Sly full sub
My Location
UK
For sake of completeness: When I first turn it on, it displays the Dream Multimedia logo. Then it displays this message and flashes past a few modules it's loading:

_http://davejuk.com/files/dm800_sim201.jpg

After that it display Dream Multimedia booting... and a few seconds later the progress bar stops.

I don't suppose that offers me any way to reflash or otherwise fix this without using the null modem cable method?

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @davejuk,

Sorry but not if it does not accept FTP or Telnet. If it is not accepting communication via its network port (ip address), then the only way in is Null Modem lead and RS232 port.

My router is on a shelf above my Dreambox, so I see the Dreambox port on the router become active as the Dreambox boots (which is long before it has fully booted). Do you see any activity on the light for your Dreambox port on your router? If so then you should be able to FTP or Telnet but otherwise no, it will have to be RS232.

Good luck, John.

D

deleted

Dave i have told you the only way to do it m8, if you dont take advice then you wont fix it.

davejuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800 HD
CCcam v2.1.3
Sly full sub
My Location
UK
Yeah it responds to pings even after its hung but I can't get in by FTP, HTTP or telnet.

Are there any other protocols I can try before my null modem cable and USB-Serial adapter arrives?

davejuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800 HD
CCcam v2.1.3
Sly full sub
My Location
UK
OK... all is good.

After restarting it I tried telnet and it would connect but then drop the connection immediately. HTTP wasn't doing anything at all. I gave up, but then when I went back to my FTP client it had managed to connect at some point during the 99 or whatever it is retries.

I rebooted again and managed to get in an change the bootup file to UNIX line feeds, and success! It boots and the Smargo works fine. Thanks for all your help. At least I have the cables if I ever need them!

D

deleted

Ok last shot mate if this doesnt work do as i suggested.

Dont know if you use this method or not but its the only 1 without null modem cable !!

switch off dm800, then hold silver pwr button down on front panel whilst powering up the box, Hold until red light flashes continuously, look at the front panel window and IP address of the box should show, now go to your browser and type IP address in, this should bring browser file loader for box up , load image and transfer to box, when finnished dont reboot !!!, go back to browser window and enter IP address again now load bootloader IE bl76a/c then reboot DM800, All should be ok.

If youve already tried this then I WONT BE REPEATING MYSELF . Good luck.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
davejuk said:
OK... all is good.

Well done @davejuk!

Your persistance has paid off and along the way you have learnt more about the Dreambox and about Linux. Which is what this hobby is all about.

Best wishes, John.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Single Sat Dish and DM800
My Location
Ireland
unless box gives a 'no ca found' error message it is always possible to flash new image. you power off box, hold in the button on front of dm800 and while still holding it power on the dm800. an ip address is displayed on the oled. type this address in a browser window and select the firmware upgrade option. bit late now but useful to know

D

deleted

its been mentioned before m8 no need to repeat instructions , and he has box working anyway, thanks