chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
The European Commission has criticised the sluggish growth in cross-border conditional access services. The Commission is planning to put together a picture of potential cross-border markets and has highlighted the movement around the continent by many Europeans.

“As millions of people in Europe live away from their country of origin and want to access services from ‘back home’, but often cannot, the Commission will be gathering more information on potential markets for the distribution of TV programmes and films beyond national borders,” said a statement from the Commission.

The availability of pay-TV services in markets outside their primary area has become a bone of contention among foreign nationals as demonstrated by recent raids on Spanish systems relaying English language programmes. Canal+ France has also sought to restore services to viewers in French-speaking Belgium and Switzerland.

In a report reviewing conditional access services ten years after Directive 98/84/EC, the Commission says efforts to combat smart card piracy vary considerably between member states. In response to the Commission’s consultation industry players referred to “overly mild penalties” and said penalties for the possession of illegal decoders should be considered.

The Commission is establishing a working group to discuss best practice at national level.

Source:BroadbandTVNews

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, particular bearing this next news item in mind. :)

Canal+ battles against grey subscribers

By Robert Briel | January 15, 2008 | 07:47 UK

According to French newspaper reports, Canal+ has taken measures against those dealers that supply Canal+ smart cards to viewers outside of France. The broadcaster will no longer supply smart cards without a receiver.

Since December, all smart cards have been fixed to a particular satellite receiver and cannot be exchanged with another. Although no exact numbers are known, there are many ‘grey’ subscribers in Switzerland, the Benelux and Northern Africa. These people have an official Canal+ smart card for either the premium channels or the bouquet of thematic channels. Officially, this is not allowed, as Canal+ only owns the rights for subscribers residing in France.

However, in Switzerland it is possible to subscribe to certain Canal+ channels via DSL and cable. The company is looking at a way to also accommodate DTH subscriptions in that country.

Broadband TV News

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
I think Zattoo is one of the best places to start something like that. Its brilliant. :)

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
It´s about time

Radiowaves don´t care for no borders:-rofl2

craggers82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WIN VISTA
My Location
UK
It is about time the EC looks at this. There is high demand for cross border satellite pay-tv subscriptions and I hope broadcasters will accept that copyright monopoly is bad for competition. I bet out of area subscribers have complained about their unfair agreements to only broadcast within the country and I am glad the EC is looking into an open free market of satellite pay-TV.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
craggers82 said:
It is about time the EC looks at this. There is high demand for cross border satellite pay-tv subscriptions and I hope broadcasters will accept that copyright monopoly is bad for competition. I bet out of area subscribers have complained about their unfair agreements to only broadcast within the country and I am glad the EC is looking into an open free market of satellite pay-TV.

Copyright monopoly is fine, no company providing content wants to see its efforts stolen from under their eyes.

The problem arises when a broadcaster becomes a content provider, and has joined forces with similar to carve up the territories. The regional profit gained is then far more than the content is actually worth, leaving the cross border subscriber with a feeling of a valueless service.

craggers82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WIN VISTA
My Location
UK
Broadcasters have always gone with territorial agreements but it is about time now we have freedom of choice in the satellite pay-tv market. If the EC goes along with this, then broadcasters can no longer restrict viewing to people outside their territories or switch off viewing cards when they know they are used outside their countries.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I wouldn't hold your breath, I can see increasing numbers of providers going the route of the dedicated receiver, it has proven to be far harder for the hackers this way, plus EPGs are more comprehensive and user friendly in the dedicated boxes.