end of French analogue satellite channels in UK?

The novice

Reaction score
I went to my local satellite TV shop, and told him I wanted to access French TV channels in the UK. He said the options were to get sky and TV5, or to get a TPS card and a digital reciever. I asked about using an analogue box and he said that this broadcast is due to be turned off this month. Is this true?

rkhsaw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax, dragon, Matrix, 4 dishes
My Location
France
The novice said:
I went to my local satellite TV shop, and told him I wanted to access French TV channels in the UK. He said the options were to get sky and TV5, or to get a TPS card and a digital reciever. I asked about using an analogue box and he said that this broadcast is due to be turned off this month. Is this true?

I've not heard anything over here & I live in France. There is no indication on the FranceTelevisions web site (www.francetelevisions.fr), you could always send them an Email from the web site to ask.
However, it is known that Atlantic Bird 3 is starting to fail, and France is heavily into digital now so I would guess the analogue (secam) signals will be closed down in the not too distant future. -If I were you, I'd get a cheap s/h analogue receiver for the time being. The dish & lnb can always be used for digital in the future so is not an issue.

rkhsaw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
UPDATE:
According to Lyngsat, the French channels our now available in digital, clear, on the same sat. I've not tried yet to confirm.
This woud seem to sugest that the analogue switchoff is imminent

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
rkhsaw said:
UPDATE:
According to Lyngsat, the French channels our now available in digital, clear, on the same sat. I've not tried yet to confirm.
This woud seem to sugest that the analogue switchoff is imminent

i note TF1 is missing, guess it might come soon.

cts

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
rkhsaw said:
I've not heard anything over here & I live in France. There is no indication on the FranceTelevisions web site (www.francetelevisions.fr), you could always send them an Email from the web site to ask.
However, it is known that Atlantic Bird 3 is starting to fail, and France is heavily into digital now so I would guess the analogue (S*cam) signals will be closed down in the not too distant future. -If I were you, I'd get a cheap s/h analogue receiver for the time being. The dish & lnb can always be used for digital in the future so is not an issue.

Any further info on AB3 failing - I havent seen anything about this?? AB1 has had a number out unscheduled outages over the last couple of years though.

rkhsaw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
Analoguesat said:
Any further info on AB3 failing - I havent seen anything about this?? AB1 has had a number out unscheduled outages over the last couple of years though.

-Can't remember where I got this info. Maybe it was just one of the transponders. If I find anything I'll post it here.

Miladinovic

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Analog and digital
I dont think so, they cant to turn off that chanels on 5W becouse they have 2,8 milions costumers (canal+) on analog tehnology!!!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
That didnt stop Sky forcing 4 or 5 million analogue subscribers to swap did it.....

Miladinovic

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Analog and digital
Canal+

Analog 2.8 milion
|||||||||||||||| = 5 milion
Digital 2.2 milion

rapido

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm
My Location
Hertfordshire
Analoguesat said:
That didnt stop Sky forcing 4 or 5 million analogue subscribers to swap did it.....

I don't know about Canal Plus, but I think the clear analogue channels (TF1, A2, FR3, La5/Arte and M6) are reasonably safe for the time being since it's the only way millions of French homes can receive the national channels as they can't get adequate terrestrial reception.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
Right. What's the score now almost a year later?

i live in france and i spend a bit of time in places where you can't receive the terrestrial beam. Is canal+ still alive in analogue on ab3?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The analogue transmissions are under sentence of death. They will probably go in 2007 sometime.

The currently fta digital channels are to stay fta.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Shame that they don't have TF1 in the digital multiplex, I wonder what the reason is. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Apparently the "scrambled" dtt channels are actually in the clear if you have kit that can handle DVB-S2.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Apparently the "scrambled" dtt channels are actually in the clear if you have kit that can handle DVB-S2.

:confused sorry mate, must assume 'not following now... not from the uk actually... is dtt digital terrestrial? and whadaheck is dvb-s2 and what sorta kits your talkin' bout?
sorry to be a lamer...

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
The analogue transmissions are under sentence of death. They will probably go in 2007 sometime.

The currently fta digital channels are to stay fta.

is this true to canal+ too?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
bid0n said:
:confused sorry mate, must assume 'not following now... not from the uk actually... is dtt digital terrestrial? and whadaheck is dvb-s2 and what sorta kits your talkin' bout?
sorry to be a lamer...

The French dtt TNT channels are delivered to the transmitters by 5W Atlantic Bird 3. They are transmitted using a standard called DVB-S2, At the moment only high end professional kit can handle this format, but my information is that the transmissions are actually in the clear under the DVB-S2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
bid0n said:
is this true to canal+ too?
Dunno - probably. Analogue is dying on its feet.

I got the information off the Transponder News website, if you speak German, its a useful source of info.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ahhh really nice info to know, that tnt is actually broadcasted as dvbS2. i knew that it was broadcasted from ab3 but i didn't know HOW. Btw, could you briefly reference some dvb S2 devices? is a dreambox one?? :D