Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I am being redundant in early December and am now on gardening leave, and there being less jobs to apply for than there are spots on a ladybird, I am actively pursuing savings to made.

I have been with npower for many years now and have both gas and electric with them. I was approached by a rep from Southern Electric who are actively trying to get a foothold in the NW England. The guy was very nice and sat down went through my last bills and showed me that he could save me £250.00 less the £100 yearly refund I get from npower which would still give me £150.00 I did not have before. Before I signed up I said no I wanted time to investigate and discovered that there is a website
_http://www.theenergyshop.com where you can investigate this further.
Having input my KWH details I discovered that there was a current npower tariff that would save me £200 on what I was already getting, the Dual Fuel sign on-line v13. I straight away logged in to my account but could find no way of changing tariff on-line.
I rang customer services and asked how to do this, they told me to do meter readings now and then ring the meter reading number and update them. I did that then had to ring them again and explain that it was an automated system and I could not ask anyone to change my tariff. How do I change my tariff? eventually after being on hold for a few minutes I was asked for the readings again and told the tariff had been changed and the bills would be altered accordingly.

The moral of the story is, don't sit back and say it doesn't matter (like I have been doing for years) cos it does especially to your pocket.

Hope this helps someone else

If it does and you want or can spare/share a small amount you saved click the donate to the forum button below ;)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Sorry Topper to hear about this. I hope that you will find something suitable very soon. :)
What a way to start the new year.
Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us. It is always good to check the monthly household expenditures and see if one can save a bit.
Last year I got fed up with my gas company increased prices, so I started to monitor the gas consumption (mainly on cooking) versus using electric hot plates.
And I discovered that it would cost me 1/3 of what it would be for gas if I switch to electricity.
I did the switch for over a year now, and I have more than saved on the cost of new hot plate cooker, even with parts replacement.
The same goes with how people here are more than willing to pay a lot of money for the local satellite provider, and don't stop to think if it is possible to save by switching to private satellite.