Far too many angles, what do they all mean and where do they apply to?

RedDwarf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Minidish and Sky Digibox signal now detected
Core 2 Q9450 up to 3.5GHz
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 motherboard
4GB DDR2
Gigabyte 3850 Gfx card
Mystique Dual DVB-S2 PCI-e
Pinnacle Dual DVB-T Pro PCI
My Location
Central Midlands, UK
What does the polarization angle relate to for setup?

I have been setting up a new dish, not the Penta that I have, the weather has prevented me from installing that. I purchased a Faval 60 which will be okay with planning laws and fits in nicely on the Sky minidish bracket and location.

I have many angles noted down from sites such as Azimuth, Elevation, Polarization, Polar Mount, another Polar angle and LNB Skew. The first two and the last one I know but the others are a mystery. I thought that the Polarization might be the dish angle, looking at the dish the left or right tilt to the dish but I cannot see how that could be done with anything but a Sky style bracket which is rarely used for anything but sky installs.

Will someone please shed some light on this?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Refers to a rotational position of the LNb or dish (LNb skew or dish skew).

Polar mount is a basically a motorised mount. Technically a DiSEqC motor is a polar mount but we refer them for use with larger dishes and moves on a single axis only. The mount is moved by a linear actuator and as moved from horizon to horizon the elevation will vary.

Polar angle etc can be explained here > http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...-angle-declination-offset-dish-elevation.html

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If this isn't a motorised dish, all you need to concern yourself with is azimuth and elevation (only a rough guide), then Skew of the LNB relative to whichever satellite you wish to align to.

If it is a motorised dish, you will need a better wall mount than the one used for your old Sky dish.

RedDwarf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4GB DDR2
Gigabyte 3850 Gfx card
My Location
Central Midlands, UK
satelliteman said:
Refers to a rotational position of the LNb or dish (LNb skew or dish skew).

Polar mount is a basically a motorised mount. Technically a DiSEqC motor is a polar mount but we refer them for use with larger dishes and moves on a single axis only. The mount is moved by a linear actuator and as moved from horizon to horizon the elevation will vary.

Polar angle etc can be explained here > http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...-angle-declination-offset-dish-elevation.html

Ah, I wrote some numbers down that I got from a site that calculated the alignment data and I have a Polarization angle and a LNB skew angle which confused me. I thought they were separate things and that both needed adjusting. lol that explains why I have not seen any fixed dishes that are inclined left or right, only a slight elevation for the common offset dishes.

rolfw said:
If this isn't a motorised dish, all you need to concern yourself with is azimuth and elevation (only a rough guide), then Skew of the LNB relative to whichever satellite you wish to align to.

If it is a motorised dish, you will need a better wall mount than the one used for your old Sky dish.

No it isn't motorised, I cannot get the Penta fitted before I need it because of the weather, the pole I ordered didn't get delivered anyway and I have expected it since Wednesday, so it's a total none starter.

I got myself a new 60cm Faval dish to replace a very old Sky minidish. It will work with the Penta when I get that fitted and the sizes mean no planning permission will be needed. It's a lot quicker to fit too not requiring any new brackets fitting.

Initial testing shows a much higher signal level, I got 80dBuV at one point but had to settle for 72dBuV, which is up from a 64dBuV best, 60dBuV more usual with the old Sky minidish. More adjustment, in daylight and I should be able to improve it further.

I couldn't understand how a motorized system copes with the polarisation/LNB skew for different satellites.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The Planning Rules refer to two Antennas, not specifically two dishes, so a UHF Yagi and one dish strictly speaking rules out a second dish. But I shouldn't really quibble as I feel certain my own installation pushes the boundaries a little! :D

As for skew and elevation with a motorised dish, it is the locus described by the motor stub which deals with all that ........... best thing to do is watch a motorised dish panning and it immediately becomes clear. Much harder to explain in mere words..

RedDwarf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4GB DDR2
Gigabyte 3850 Gfx card
My Location
Central Midlands, UK
Tivù said:
The Planning Rules refer to two Antennas, not specifically two dishes, so a UHF Yagi and one dish strictly speaking rules out a second dish. But I shouldn't really quibble as I feel certain my own installation pushes the boundaries a little! :D
Oh :( That might be a problem. The planning portal site shows them as Dishes and makes no mention of Aerials. But it does refer to dishes as Antennas so I guess it's a catch all for both which I overlooked.

If you Have two dishes with one just over the limit that would be less noticeable than two dishes in the limit and a big TV Aerial. If they looked both sides of my home, it would take someone who couldn't count past two to miss it. lol

As for skew and elevation with a motorised dish, it is the locus described by the motor stub which deals with all that ........... best thing to do is watch a motorised dish panning and it immediately becomes clear. Much harder to explain in mere words..

I will try and find a video of one working and that might help me understand it.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Have a look at this video, it demonstrates the movement of the motor stub quite well

[tube]WxorHnvRpOg[/tube]

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Tivù said:

Pretty sure that they specifically relate to dishes, as the maximum measurements they give could not apply to UHF antennae, as couldn't the "must not be higher than the chimney" rule.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well you may be right, Rolf ........... I also initially assumed you could have two dishes and a Yagi (for instance) and think that is the popular belief.

However, I find the use of the term Antennae in the headline to be ambiguous, to say the least!

Understand where you're coming from, though.

RedDwarf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4GB DDR2
Gigabyte 3850 Gfx card
My Location
Central Midlands, UK
I think I will have to phone my council planning department and ask them. That should clear it up and remove all confusion.

I will say that although they give maximum dimensions for Antennas and those might not apply to regular UHF Aerials, the rules might be written so they apply to everything so no one can get around them. So the maximums could still apply to UHF Aerials as a catch all rule.

But you are right about the chimney part, many Aerials are mounted above the Chimney. So it's very unspecific, they should make it far clearer than it is IMO.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I have to say that despite my own recognition of the ambiguity in the guidelines, a great many of us do have two dishes and a yagi (possibly more..............) and have never been troubled by conscience, neighbourly objection, or a visit from the Council.

It is perfectly possible that the very presence of ambiguity will lead to different interpretation by different Local Authorities - perhaps even by individual Planning bods.

Perhaps, therefore, you might re-assess the idea of taking advice, just in case you find the answer not to your liking?

If you can put your hand on your heart and justify two dishes in your circumstances, then go ahead.

The worst that can happen is a remote chance of you being asked to remove one - and then your trump card of "interpretation" can be brought to bear.