Feedhorn ident

stephenG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar HDS-600RS, Topfield 6000F, 150cm Gibby dish + "twin dish"quad LNB & Gibby feedhorn;
My Location
Grasse, France
The 0800-309 may or may not give you slightly better results than the Gib feedhorn - impossible to say without trying.
But the flange is a non-standard Prodelin with six holes (no thread), so you need an adapter, or get handy (and precise) with an superglue, or even a drill...

I am willing to give it a punt, and so will order a feedhorn.

Getting handy with glue/resin/drill.... no problem, being precise ...hmm.. I can try.

Another couple of questions.

1. If I "adapt" a universal LNB do I need to consider the distance from the probes inside the waveguide of the LNB to the end of the feedhorn or can I cut the LNB at any length ?.

2. Likewise if I make a C120 adapter plate do I need to think about the thickness of this plate ?.

A

archive10

I am willing to give it a punt, and so will order a feedhorn.
Quick question: Is this just for fun, or are you trying to improve signal reception?
If the latter, a slightly bigger dish (1.2-> 1.5) will give you instant gratification (2 dB signal increase) rather than 0.2 dB improved S/N using a different feedhorn/LNB combo.
On the other hand, if you are stuck with the dish due to e.g. building regulations, then by all means try micro-optimising.
But nothing beats reflector surface area...

stephenG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar HDS-600RS, Topfield 6000F, 150cm Gibby dish + "twin dish"quad LNB & Gibby feedhorn;
My Location
Grasse, France
Quick question: Is this just for fun, or are you trying to improve signal reception?
If the latter, a slightly bigger dish (1.2-> 1.5) will give you instant gratification (2 dB signal increase) rather than 0.2 dB improved S/N using a different feedhorn/LNB combo.
On the other hand, if you are stuck with the dish due to e.g. building regulations, then by all means try micro-optimising.
But nothing beats reflector surface area...

Trying to improve signal reception for few unstable frequencies. Dish is 1.5m, and going bigger is beyond any budget.

So, do you think the question of length from the LNB probe is important to condsider, or irrelevant ?.