Garden setup - Distance from tree!

rob_brum

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
(trying to setup)1m motorised dish, tm5400 CI+ super
My Location
Birmingham
Im going to to setup my dish in the garden, at the bottom end of the garden, the neighbour has some bushes that are about 8ft high.

If there a rule of thumb about how far away from a solid object the dish needs to be i.e twice the height of the object etc, so in my case 16ft away.

I guess the hight of the pole makes a difference as well.

I hope that makes sense.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In Brum, Astra 28.2 (one of the lower elevation satellites) is about one in two elevation, so if the bottom of the dish is one metre off the ground, then a 2 metre high object will need to be two metres away, a four metre high object, six metres away.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
One useful tool (generally though not always exact) is to go to dishpointer.com, type in one's address, then move the X cursor on the site to the specific spot one wishes to place the dish; then, click show Line of Sight obstacles. It gives a general idea of obstacles that might be in the way. However, the pictures on the site may, for instance, not reflect recent falling leaves since the onset of autumn/winter (thus not up to date in that respect).

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
When I was first setting up I liked the Astra site "Installation Assistant" :

_http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/en/how-to-receive-astra/installation-assistant/index.php

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If you want to get technical use a bit of trig:-

Tan (a) = height/distance away

Go to dishpointer and get the elevation angle for the sat you want,

In your case:

height = 8ft.

elevation = 24 degrees approx.( substitute into a)

Thus Tan(24)= 8/distance away

therefore distance away = 18 feet

thus you need to be at least 18 feet away, if dish is on the ground, take it from the bottom of the dish.

If the dish is off the ground use the difference in height between the bottom of the dish and the top of the tree.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Tracking the sun at about this time of year will give you a clear line of site. Anything in the way of the sun will most likely affect the reception from your location.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
Also... your middle satellites (thor etc) are the highest so... if you can, position the dish so anything high is in the middle area of your arc.