have been trying to get pl tv 2 , 1 , 2 and 3 but

dan44762000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
windows 7
My Location
swansea
well i had my system installed a while back and was really happy with it , but suddenly i have been wanting to view the tv2 pl hd channels on 0.8w .so when i tune to the channels i get a signal of 78% but the ber is so high i dont get a picture or if i do its extrememly pixalated and unwatchable.so i got a guy to come out this morning and he said my dish is warped .now if my dish was warped why can i pick up nearly everything else . its just 26e aand 0.8w i cannot get .i really want the tv2 pl channels so is there anything i can try without going up a ladder ? i am petrified of heights . the guy who came this morning said the usals have been set up spot on but there is no point realligning the dish to try and get the channels as it (in his words) pissing into the wind .he advised i get a bigger dish a 1.1 triax .currently its a 96cm technomate . i have looked at the dish and i dont see no warp but there again i dont know what i am looking for .so all advice appreciated . he said the original installer should have spotted this and called him a amateur . and also said " a little knoledge is a dangerous thing" .thanks dan

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Warped or not is a red herring - The dish is almost certainly too small for 26E and relevant beams on 0.8W.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are scared of heights dont even think about trying to install a dish high up yourself - decide what you want then put an advert in our installer wanted section - one of our lads may well be able to help you.

(I was scared of heights until I stood on the glass panel at the CN Tower - 1400 ft straight down. At that point I decided nothing could ever frighten me as much as that did again!)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
The only proper way to see if the dish is warped is to "string" it. That is place a piece of string across the dish at 45 degrees intervals and see if the strings meet in the middle.

I installed the original system, so yes, I am an amateur :) The dish was brand new, so saw no point to check to see if it was warped or not. I suppose it *could* have been warped in high winds we had over the past few months... Still, at least he praised my ability to align USALS "spot on" :D

For what it's worth, PLTV on 1W is quite flaky on my Penta 85 dish. In the mornings it's just about receivable with no breakups but as the evening dawns, unless the weather is very favourable, I don't receive it with any sort of reliability. I am further east as well, which gives me a slightly stronger signal than where you are.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A Penta 85 is not the easiest dish to 'string'.

A damaged Technomate / Triax would be easier to spot but even so I would hazard the installer isn't familar with the satellite footprint. Did he charge you for the advice ?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Captain Jack said:
The only proper way to see if the dish is warped is to "string" it. That is place a piece of string across the dish at 45 degrees intervals and see if the strings meet in the middle.

I installed the original system, so yes, I am an amateur :) The dish was brand new, so saw no point to check to see if it was warped or not. I suppose it *could* have been warped in high winds we had over the past few months... Still, at least he praised my ability to align USALS "spot on" :D

For what it's worth, PLTV on 1W is quite flaky on my Penta 85 dish. In the mornings it's just about receivable with no breakups but as the evening dawns, unless the weather is very favourable, I don't receive it with any sort of reliability. I am further east as well, which gives me a slightly stronger signal than where you are.

..Imo the only difference between a professional and a knowledgeable amateur ...is that one does it for a living and gets paid for his trouble..
..and possibly the quality of equipment used.
All info needed is out there ..its up to pros and amateurs alike to grasp this knowledge.
Whats different about this forum is that pros will share that knowledge freely and rarely if ever shoot an enthusiastic amateur down in flames.
rgds
VS

jordie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
spiderbox 9000hd with motorised dish.
My Location
Derry/Donegal
since thoose channels changed frequency they are a lot harder to recieve