Help me re-align before i quit the sat scene...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The thing is, Ash, you do seem to have grasped the essentials and have done a lot of work, made some mistakes and learnt from them.

So rather than either pay someone else or give up, forget it for a week or so, then come back to it with fresh enthusiasm and without the frustration you've experienced lately.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, INVERTO Silver Tech Universal Twin LNB 0.2, Technomate 80cm mesh dish
My Location
BRISTOL
Tivù said:
The thing is, Ash, you do seem to have grasped the essentials and have done a lot of work, made some mistakes and learnt from them.

So rather than either pay someone else or give up, forget it for a week or so, then come back to it with fresh enthusiasm and without the frustration you've experienced lately.

Thanks for the kind words chap.

Yes i have worked hard with this set up.

i'll leave it a few days , im going away thursday so ill probably have a bash next sunday maybe.

mattsnapper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishes : T90, 1.2m dish , motorized 80cm , 60cm dishes & 1.8 prime focus

Receivers : French DIVA HD for french telly and AZ Premium HD+ box

Current project : rebuild the satellite farm in the garden

2011 : C Band
My Location
shrewsbury
Just keep going Ash - I won't even being to tell you the mistakes I made from pure embarrsement but when setting up a satellite dish like everyone else has quite rightly said, getting the pole 100% vertical from the off is the MOST IMPORTANT thing to do. All other settings / angles etc will be off if this is not correct.

I think it took me 2 weeks of constant tweaking before I got my first motorised dish working OK - even then it was not as good as I thought it could be. Some months later I took it all apart and started from scratch. By then I kind of knew what I was doing and everything seemed much easier to the point of putting a 2p coin underneath one foot on a ground stand to make the pole 100% vertical instead of 98%. The difference for me hunting satellites the first time was staggering.

The enthusiasm and gratification you then get when you hunt around for other satellites in the sky and find quite literally hundreds of channels is the reason I think we all are total nutcases on this forum!

It IS frustrating, thats why satellite installers are professionals as they know what they are doing.

I can not stress how important getting the pole 100% vertical is if you are new to all this, and once you get 100% vertical pole, you will be quite surprised how easy it is to set up and everything fits into place. Otherwise tweaking elevation angles, LNB skew etc won't mean anything as all the calculations will be out.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
mattsnapper said:
Just keep going Ash - I won't even being to tell you the mistakes I made from pure embarrsement but when setting up a satellite dish like everyone else has quite rightly said, getting the pole 100% vertical from the off is the MOST IMPORTANT thing to do.

Not it's not. I had one job (a long time ago), where the professional from a rather large offshore company that had turned up before me had set the dish to 19.2 degrees East of North........