Help with splitting antenna signal

Marco Coppola

Reaction score
My Location
UK
Hi, i would like to have a go at splitting the aerial signal to see how strong i can get the signal in other rooms. So i went in the loft(intrrnal antenna) and there is a cable that goes from the main antenna to an antenna socket downstairs, then there are 3 lose aerial end, 1 goes downstairs next to the antenna socket, 1 goes in the room upstair and another one in tge conservatory. So what i did is to put a 2 way splitter inthe socket downstairs the antenna cable that goes in the tv and the loose cable that goes back in the loft and plug tgat in into a booster and then plug the other loose ends inside the booster but the signal went bad everywhere. Any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The very fact that you have an internal/indoor aerial suggests you already have a weak signal, you need to amplify the signal you have in the loft with a powered distribution amplifier in order to distribute the signal to the other rooms in the house, any other method will end in failure

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
What you are doing at the moment is doomed to fail. Firstly you are using an indoor aerial, secondly have have a cable running all the way downstairs, then back up again, then you have amplified it. The signal back up at the loft before the amplifier is obviously too low in quality, amplifiying it will just make it worse.

I would suggest initially to try a decent quality splitter in the loft, to see if that works, if not then a good quality amplifier and then a splitter. If still not good,then you need to have an aerial installation that gives you a better signal.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
You need to amplify as close to the aerial as possible. Creating a long loop before amplification will reduce the signal to noise [snr] of the overall system, causing marginal signals to possibly 'fall off the cliff'. If you have enough signal [which you won't know without a UHF signal meter], you could try a passive 3 way splitter in the loft as the losses won't be excessive.

Marco Coppola

Reaction score
My Location
UK
The antenna cable start from the antenna ib the loft to an antenna socket, do i cut the cable to make a connection to go inside the booster?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes, cut the cable and make your connection in the loft, ideally near a power socket for the amplifier.

Marco Coppola

Reaction score
My Location
UK
IMG_0287.jpg

is the wires this way correct? or should they be longer? all I need to do now is to wrap those wires on those screws on the antenna, right?

Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Cable not prepared correctly for a connector but if connecting to the terminals on a contract aerial, then that looks okay.

Were you not making a connection somewhere on the line down to the room for adding an amplifier?

Marco Coppola

Reaction score
My Location
UK
I want to add the amplifier in the loft so I got and aerial cable and cut it in half(the one in the pic) then I seen that the existing cable is connected to the main antenna by those two red wires that are turned around two screwes, so I thought I just take the one off and I put the one I have prepared that is a lot shorter and plug the other end in the booster that is right next to the antenna.

sorry for my poor explanation but I don't know any of the right words to descrbe properly