Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I made a cheap home made rain shield for my Inverto MultiConnect LNBs out of a clear plastic bottle.

It keeps the rain drops off the LNB heads as these LNBs seem quite sensitive to the wet. After carefully cutting the holes for the LNBs to fit as tightly as possible it seems to stay on quite well. I've lost 2% of the signal in dry weather but hopefully it'll keep going a bit longer in the wet. I'll find out when we get some proper rain but previously I had used plastic cups to achieve the same thing so it should work...

The main LNB is focused on 19.2E and the offset LNB is for 23.5E using a 60cm dish.

Attachments

• cover1.jpg
    cover1.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 670
  • cover2.jpg
    cover2.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 334
  • cover3.jpg
    cover3.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 451

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I like it: Any Squirrels in there yet?

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Thats a neat solution Timo, i suggest a sprinkling watering can!!!
emoticon-animal-042.gif

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Thats a neat solution Timo, i suggest a sprinkling watering can!!!
emoticon-animal-042.gif
Thanks, I thought about simulating rain but then I thought I'd wait for the real thing and give me something to look forward to rather than just think, "Damn, it's raining."

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
Couldnt you cut the opposite side of the bottle nearest the dish - like a letterbox sort of rectangle to allow the signals to come from the dish unimpeded?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Couldnt you cut the opposite side of the bottle nearest the dish - like a letterbox sort of rectangle to allow the signals to come from the dish unimpeded?
I might try that but it's a good solid fit at the moment so I'm seeing how it goes.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I still have my 9 slim lnbs packaged up in the garage if i decide to do a multilnb set up.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
I made a cheap home made rain shield for my Inverto MultiConnect LNBs out of a clear plastic bottle.
Won't the raindrops on the bottle block the signal just as effectively as raindrops on the LNB cap? Vaseline the bottle to stop raindrops "sticking" to it?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
I would have thought so too but it seems it's the drops right in the narrow focus where the signals enter the LNB that seems to cause most of the signal levels to drop. By moving the rain drops further away it acts more like a normal LNB in regards to rain fade. But yes, it's a good idea and I might add something later on.

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Won't the raindrops on the bottle block the signal just as effectively as raindrops on the LNB cap? Vaseline the bottle to stop raindrops "sticking" to it?
I use silicone spray on my lnbs & on my dish face. Works well for me, just like water off a duck's back!

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
I use silicone spray on my lnbs & on my dish face. Works well for me, just like water off a duck's back!
That's an idea - I've always used WD40 in the past, with mixed results...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Furniture Polish here.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
What we really need is for that Nano coating to become commercially available in a spray ..
As demonstrated recently on Daras science club..
A man made coating..that I believe it is based on natures water repelling surface topside of a giant water lilly leaf..
Now that _would_ be effective.
rgds
VS

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
So far so good, we had light rain early this morning and the bottle is still covered with water droplets but signals are only down 1-2%. Still waiting for some proper rain.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
In many cases using of bigger size of dish helps, and water drops on LNB also can be treated same way. I think that making small "roof" above LNBs wold be better solution that to make "house out of plastic". Beside, I think that rain clouds making more bad job for reception than small drops of water on LNB. :rolleyes: But that is IMHO, not insisting. Good experiments anyway.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
In many cases using of bigger size of dish helps, and water drops on LNB also can be treated same way. I think that making small "roof" above LNBs wold be better solution that to make "house out of plastic". Beside, I think that rain clouds making more bad job for reception than small drops of water on LNB. :rolleyes: But that is IMHO, not insisting. Good experiments anyway.

I would agree in most cases, but it's just these LNBs are really crap when they get wet and I'm just using up old dishes and LNBs I have a lying around as spares. My other LNBs where too wide to get both 19E/23E together and using a bottle this way was easier and a more solid structure than building just a "roof" - it took me less than 5 mins. ;)

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I would agree in most cases, but it's just these LNBs are really crap when they get wet and I'm just using up old dishes and LNBs I have a lying around as spares. My other LNBs where too wide to get both 19E/23E together and using a bottle this way was easier and a more solid structure than building just a "roof" - it took me less than 5 mins. ;)
They arent as sensitive as my icecrypts i used, so anyway of making them work to the best of their abilities is to be applauded.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I would agree in most cases, but it's just these LNBs are really crap when they get wet and I'm just using up old dishes and LNBs I have a lying around as spares. ;)

You have learned well young padawan

:D