Indoor Satellite Nilesat & Hotbird

marwanfield

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Intrested in Satellite softwares and new inovations in the industry
My Location
Dubai
I was wondering if someone could help me with my problem, due to certain building regulations i cant put a dish on my building or balcony so i have had to get a 60cm dish and place that near my balcony door.
In order to obtain Nilesat 101 i have to have the door open living in Dubai that can be a bit of a problem as it is so hot.
I know there are dishes that can be used indoors as well as dishes disguised as panels and boxes.

Could some one kindly help me as to where to find these dishes and as to how i can get HOTBIRD as when i put the dish inside with the door open the signal is completely lost. Also i am using a reciever similar to dreambox called astrasat.

Can someone advise me to whats the best way to solve my problem with minmul costs

thanks
Marwan

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
There are no guarantees with indoor dishes, I'm afraid.

Apart from the obvious point that you may not be able to make use of one which is big enough to secure reception, success depends upon all sorts of other factors.

eg If firing through glass, then the angle of attack is important, as is the composition of the glass, in determining how much of any available signal is transmitted through it but also to what extent it may lose coherence.

I see you are actually firing through an open window, but even though that may work for Satellites that you have an unimpeded line of sight for, the available arc is always going to be restricted somewhat - by the confines and orientation of the opening.

That's probably why no Hotbird.

As for disguised antenna, the downside is of course that they can never be as efficient as true parabolic dishes.

So even if you can find something that can remain undetected on the outside of your apartment, it may not perform well, especially in the directionn required for Hotbird.

Now I do hope someone in an optimistic frame of mind will Post something a little more hopeful for you!

Satcom1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Meter Primestar Elliptical C/KU. Twinhan 1025 PCI(Linux), Coolsat 6000, Winegard 76 cm dish. 8' Unimesh, HCC9300 Receiver.
Diamond 9000 HD, 1m prime focus, 1.2 m prime focus, both on C Band.
My Location
Chicago
I lived in a condo that did not allow dishes. I put my dish out on the balcony and covered it with a black plastic garbage bag. It worked, no complaints.

If you get a plastic drop cloth and cover your window opening with that your AC should still work and your dish will work too.

Search this site for the Lutenna. This antenna works for strong sats and no one will ever know it is for satellite.

Also Search Casser he uses cones and claims good performance.

Attachments

• s30.jpg
    s30.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 140
  • s25.jpg
    s25.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 144

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can you upload some pictures of your balcony so that we can see what the job entails?

Forgetting Hotbird for the moment, Nilesat is a reasonably strong satellite for your location and you may get away with a high quality 45cm dish, perhaps something like the digiglobe may do the trick _http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_overview.asp?id=1544&catid=12&subcat=2 , it is disguised in what looks like a globe light fitting which actually acts as a light as well.

soansjohn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Setup box is Dish TV
My Location
Dubai United Arab Emirates
marwanfield said:
I was wondering if someone could help me with my problem, due to certain building regulations i cant put a dish on my building or balcony so i have had to get a 60cm dish and place that near my balcony door.
In order to obtain Nilesat 101 i have to have the door open living in Dubai that can be a bit of a problem as it is so hot.
I know there are dishes that can be used indoors as well as dishes disguised as panels and boxes.

Could some one kindly help me as to where to find these dishes and as to how i can get HOTBIRD as when i put the dish inside with the door open the signal is completely lost. Also i am using a reciever similar to dreambox called astrasat.

Can someone advise me to whats the best way to solve my problem with minmul costs

thanks
Marwan

Marwan,
Were you able to find an indoor dish, i too live in dubai, my apartment doesnt permit dish in the balcony, Please let me know if you found a good indoor dish.

soansjohn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Setup box is Dish TV
My Location
Dubai United Arab Emirates
marwanfield said:

thanks
Marwan

Marwan,
Were you able to find an indoor dish, i too live in dubai, my apartment doesnt permit dish in the balcony, Please let me know if you found a good indoor dish.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
On another website there's report of guy living in Moldova, Chishinau, he got stable reception of Amos european beam using 90cm dish indoors, trough the double glass window.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
On another website there's report of guy living in Moldova, Chishinau, he got stable reception of Amos european beam using 90cm dish indoors, trough the double glass window.