Indoors Installation? poss or not

stevecuns

My Satellite Setup
Skymaster DXS5 digital receiver connected to Astra 19.2E and Astra 28.2E. Skymaster 60cm dish for 28.2E and tapped into dish ontop of building, think its at least 1m for 19.2E
My Location
south germany
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I am moving to a new house and my landlord wont let me install a satalite system outside on the wall. Has anybody any thoughts on if I could pick up the signal through a window? I want to point at the Astra 2 sats to get the FTA english programs.

Kind Ragards

Steve....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it is possible through a South facing window, you may need to up the dish size from 60cm though.

Whereabouts are you in Southern Germany?

stevecuns

My Satellite Setup
Skymaster DXS5 digital receiver connected to Astra 19.2E and Astra 28.2E. Skymaster 60cm dish for 28.2E and tapped into dish ontop of building, think its at least 1m for 19.2E
My Location
south germany
Thankyou for your responce.

I am in Baden Württemberg in a town called Horb am necker. At the moment I have a 60cm dish with FTA receiver from Skymaster. Do you mean I might need a bigger dish (Skymaster is a well known german sat provider I think)

It might look at bit strange in my front room but I will get used to it

Regards

Steve.....

leighpreece

Vintage Sat enthusiast!
My Satellite Setup
90cm Dish. Dual Lemon LNB for 13E/19E. Twin Output Lemon LNB for 28.8E.
Samsung 9500 with 'alternative' firmware.
Couple of DigiBoxes. Amateur Radio station. Going Bald with a patient wife!
My Location
Stoke on Trent, UK.
You can mount one low down if he won't allow you to wall mount - as long as it can see the sky - I use one that lays on the ground when in our motorhome and have made a simple mount for it - so why not try that?

dasteelman

My Satellite Setup
85cm transparent dish
85cm Penta Dish (motored)
Black Ultra LNB
VU+Solo
VU+Duo
technomate 9100 linux
Quali-TV (4:2:2)
Eaglebox
UK nds card
My Location
Tyne and Wear
I am in northern england and i have an old 60cm dish in the spare room pointing out of a window.

sitting on a chair is the dish.

28e no problem.

However, if you have double glazing, this could dampen the signal

johnwilliam1

My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500
strong 4375
pace digi box
triax 1.1, triax 88cm
My Location
UK.
stevecuns said:
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I am moving to a new house and my landlord wont let me install a satalite system outside on the wall. Has anybody any thoughts on if I could pick up the signal through a window? I want to point at the Astra 2 sats to get the FTA english programs.

Kind Ragards

Steve....

it can be done alright, i use a 1.1 triax with a duell lnb for the 19e and 13e but thats behind double glazed windows, if you have a single window and you are pionting at a strong sat you wont need that big a dish, 80cm will easily get you any of the big 3 especially if you use a single lnb i use a 6ft stand and i keep it all in a spare room

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Bear in mind guys that Steve is located near Stuttgart in Germany, so not in the centre of the footprint for Astra 2D, still looks like an 80cm should do it though, as I've seen a report of someone in Stuttgart getting a strong signal with an 80cm. :)

stevecuns

My Satellite Setup
My Location
south germany
Thanks for all the interest guys, I will give it a go once I get moved and sorted out. I will let you know how it goes.

Regards

Steve.....

Milkybarkid

Yes I did it years ago. I was staying in my brothers flat as he was abroad. I had taken the gear down from my previous house so I went and got it from my lockup and got the free Sky channels. I should have used a meter to get a signal as I spent forever trying to find 28E.Of course I didn't know I was only experimenting. Then I got a big dish 1mtr and I had it in the living room tied to a swivel computer chair sat on a box and would swivel it to get different sats. Worked well even thru D/G. I had a big south facing window.

Close the curtains and no one knows you have sat Tv.

the_happy_traveller

My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Had my porty dish stuck to the inside of the apartment window last year whilst on holiday in Portugal. Pointed at 19e.
Worked great, but got some funny looks from the cleaners:-rofl2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Milkybarkid said:
Close the curtains and no one knows you have sat Tv.

Apart from the dog cat goldfish budgie and the other people in the room with you :rolleyes::-righton

christian_cov

My Satellite Setup
none given
My Location
UK
Ar ha, see Lee it has been covered, ar yes but my point is still valid, as the advise given suggest more, more, I'd say no, no minidish, mesh 43 cm.

In fact having said that, see my post:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/digital-systems/115646-digital-satellite-indoors-oh-yes.html

I have realized due to being in a dip and so houses at the back, trees, so forth, I get BBC News 24 only in a certain place, difficult, trial and error is needed, clear line of site, and much time playing about.

Perhaps as I first did with the sky minidish lnb on the fortec 65cm dish, fit it differently, even had it taped up and lower than where it should be pointing, meaning not mid way, few inches below, 2 to 3 at a guess.

I realize and conceed though the downside obviously is though you will get the stronger transponders, channels, Sky News and so forth, and most of them on say 13.0 East Hotbird, some will not come through, because they obviously transmit at lower power.

So far, I personally the last few days, really found out that the sky mesh 43cm dish with 0.6db LNB that came with it from maplins performs about the same as the 65cm fortec dish from maplins and the new LNB that came today, the Smart Titanium 0.2db, so go figure.

Yes through double glazed windows and nets and curtains closed, to little effect at all, even raining, with rain drops on windows.

Eyesore, yes, but benefits are as follows:

Cheap, no motor, but means you move it manually, make marks.
Wind, what wind, let the end times continue, with gales and worse to come, no effect.
Snow, that's if we ever got any, no chance covering the dish anyway.

In fact weather warning for Thursday and Friday, rain, gales, snow, yikes, guess we'll see then won't we, lol.

Happy to be of help anyway, so long as you have time, patience, kewl, if not, then forget it.
Depends what you want really, I only understand english, most are foreign so waste of time apart from sport anyway.