Installing Dishes In Spain for 2E Chit-Chat

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
till didn´t resolve the problem with lh110 having better reception than 1.4 in quesada.
You are focusing the dish after you have aligned it, right? All these cheapo dishes are pretty flimsy and absolutely must be adjusted for maximum focus after alignment or they will never work properly.

Have you got a photo of your preferred dish?

A

Archive4

Do not have photo at the moment, but GI advise it is a famaval 1.35 and looks exactly like the one in your post on Sunday at 11:38pm with GI´s logo on the front.

Have attempted to focus, but as only just seeing some (not all) of 2e signals at very low levels there isn´t much to focus on. Have brought the dish to my house to test it here, but I fitted the same type of dish for my neighbor a few weeks ago and it has no problem with reception at all.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Do not have photo at the moment, but GI advise it is a famaval 1.35 and looks exactly like the one in your post on Sunday at 11:38pm with GI´s logo on the front.
What does the dish measure vertically and horizontally (because there are 2 models that look and most identical)? Also could you PM me the price?

If it is the same on both dishes most likely thing is interference. And if it's not interference it's probably trying to do it on a ladder that is causing the problem.

10818V is the strongest transponder so use that to zero in on best signal quality.

A

Archive4

I use 10818V as guidline, still very week at location. Will try at my house over next few days, busy with primary job, international removals for next few days.

Tried from ground reachable position too, no change.

I will attach mount that comes with dish, not quite 90 degrees as slopes backward slightly, but for the price! which I will advise later

wallmount.jpg

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Well I'm intrigued to know what the problem is.

A

Archive4

Had a chance today to set up the 1.35 I could not get working in Quesada, at my house on floor stand no problem getting watchable signals on all 2e tansponders, some lower that others (at approx 17:30), but all received ok. I will not quote signal strength as the old Comwell box has it´s own way of reading things, but it sees it.
I only live 4.5km away from location it would not work at, yet LH110 was picking up signal much better.
??
Can only summise that there is something in the Quesada area that is causing the problem.
If it was a weak signal area, how could the 110 beat the 135? Or is it possible that 1.35 is receiving more local interference than 110 and thus reducing the quality of the signal I am looking for (SNR equation).

Perplexed of Formentera

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Were you using the same LNB on the LH110? Was the LNB a BU single? If the LH110 works it is not interference.

A

Archive4

Originally tried BU quad from existing LH110, then switched to new BU single, results were the same on both dishes, 110 works better than 135! Still perplexed

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I'd need to see it. Interference is very unlikely if not showing on other dish. Interference does not come from the sky so is not influenced by dish size. Is the dish in exactly the same spot as the LH110? Is there any possibility of an obstacle? Other than that it is an alignment or focus issue.

A

Archive4

New 1.35 within one meter of 110, have in fact put 110 in same place as I tried 1.35, and 110 still performs better. will not argue with you, but if bigger dish picks up signal better won,t bigger dish pick up more local source interference? Only possible obstacle is power cable feeding house next door, but elevating dish approx 3m made no difference ( hence photo in previous post 4m in air!)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Ok, step one. Put dish up again, in a place where it can be adjusted with two feet on solid ground. Check at 11:00, during sun outage to be certain there are no shadows on the dish. Power cable is not relevant because at worst it is just a thin line across the dish face.

Bigger dish only means more interference if the interference is coming from the sky and is on axis. If the interference is from the local environment it would be present on the LNB output irrespective of whether the LNB is mounted on a dish.

If step one is positive I'd be happy to have a look at it for you some time.

A

Archive4

Now have pictures of the dish at my location, intend to take it back to Quesada tomorrow and perform "step one"
IMG_0111.jpg IMG_0113.jpg IMG_0112.jpg

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Not the same model as in my picture. The back mount is quite different.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
The back mount looks like it was stolen from a Gibertini dish, though there's a part missing.

A

Archive4

As I advised Huevos in conversation we are having, although the supplier sells them a Famaval, I suspect they are a copy of the Famaval. They also sell the 110 they supply as a LH110 Famaval, they do it openly, so is it possible Famaval would make them and add their logo?

Last edited by a moderator:

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I suspect they are a copy of the Famaval.
I've seen the lorry in there unloading so I don't doubt those dishes are from there. All I said is the backmount is different.

A

Archive4

Sorry Huevos, I summised they could be Famaval copies, if you say not I would not argue with you, you have much more knowledge in this field than I have. I am supprised though that Famaval would allow a re-badge.

Getting back to the troublesome dish, it has performed ok all day at my location, except solar effect at 11:02 - 11:05 with no significant loss of signal. Will take it home tomorow and try from there.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Well for sure the LH110 is Famaval, and they come with a GI logo.

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
Como siempre, todos los antenistas no son iguales por suerte, tengo un amigo que se dedica profesionalmente ("elMaestro" en foros), es instalador y el personalmente, aparte de avisar del cambio de satelites, el año pasado a sus futuros clientes, les recomendo esperar a que el Astra2E entrara en funcionamiento para ver los niveles de señal por la zona, sin saber nada, la recomendacion es 150cm minimo o mejor 180cm.
Si un cliente queria instalar una antena mas pequeña, se niega a instalar esta antena, quiere clientes contentos que llamen a sus amigos, no clientes cabreados en unos meses, si alguien duda de mis palabras, puede consultar al compañero Davidcmadrid, no instalo la antena de 120cm que pidio.
Por suerte, algunos medimos la antena bien y vemos su rendimiento, que no es igual para todas, soy un aficionado mas con equipos de medida.
-----------------------
As always, all aerial installers are not equal luckily I have a friend who is professionally engaged ("elMaestro" in forums), is installer and personally, apart from warning the change of satellite, last year your future customers, recommended them to wait to become operational the Astra2E to see the signal levels in the area, without knowing anything, the minimum recommendation is 150cm 180cm or better.
If a customer wanted to install a smaller antenna, refuses to install this antenna, want happy customers to call their friends, not customers pissed in a few months, if you doubt my words, you can consult the companion Davidcmadrid not I install the antenna 120cm who asked.
Fortunately, some good measure antenna and see their performance, which is not equal to all, I am an amateur but with measurement equipment.

PIC_0854.JPG

303962_191616624241415  _100001792369743_463322_3019724_n.jpg

PIC_0007.jpg
antena+1%252C80+chanel  +master+022.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Nice pictures!