Introduction: And a few initial really stupid questions. Please bear with me

TheRadioMan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong Reciever Model 4620
My Location
Iraq
Hello There :
My name is Radio,I am from Canada and am deployed in Iraq. Back home in Toronto I was very familliar with B-everly and D-north. ( those of you with experience here im sure know what that means. I used the Viewsat Extreme and am lost without it. When I arived here I realized that there is no way for me to recieve those particular signals because Iraq is Below the Horizon. I really Miss my NHL. I recently bought a Strong Technolgy Unit model SRT 4620 II. Im reallyu having a hard time figuring out how to make it work like a viewsat works back home on the other sat feeds. I have been looking around but cant seem to figure out what I should point at. I had my sister send me my eleyptical dish here with my disec and I have gotten a signal from Nilesat on port A(1) and Hotbird on Port 2(:cool:. I still have 2 more ports and was wondering as an english user what would be best to try and reciev now. I know these are probably really dumb questions but Its a totally new experience with these new sat's and setups. I just need to familliarize myself with the process and what is best. I tried searching around in the forums which are excellent but I cant quite figure out how and where to manually enter keys and. I know I can get into the keys entry area by pressing 4 buttons and when it opens I have no idea where to go from there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way is there a paid members forum here somewhere? I cant seem to find it but am interested to any reccomendations you all may or may not have

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Welcome!

We dont operate like many of the stateside forums - there are no "pay for extra access rights" sections here - all info provided is freely available to all our members.

All our staff admin & mods are volunteers too.

TheRadioMan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Iraq
Ok So that being said are there any answers available for my questions, I have been looking and around the site and cant seem to locate what Im looking for. Could you point me in the right direction or where to start.

TheRadioMan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Iraq
Any reccomendations on what would be the best type of receiver to get for signals that I can recieve here in Iraq?And whare would be the most reliable place to order from that would ship equipment to An Apo adress

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
TheRadioMan said:
Any reccomendations on what would be the best type of receiver to get for signals that I can recieve here in Iraq?And whare would be the most reliable place to order from that would ship equipment to An Apo adress

Start by telling us what do you want to watch.
You can subscribe to Showtime which has sport channels and movies and get a receiver from them.
Look into the Packages section for more details about other packages.
You need a receiver with 220VAC, so don't buy anything from the US.

mmana2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pansat 2700A
Dish LNB
My Location
CANADA
Hi Radioman,
I'm also from Canada, I'm not that familiar with the satellites where you are. I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with lyngsat.com, it can give you an idea of what satellites are available to you and what is on those satellites.
Good luck.
mmana2

TheRadioMan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Iraq
Thanks for Your replies. I really want to be able to see NHL games and Movies and I Have bought a card for Nilesat on Port A and I get the Showtime Channels. I have 4 dishes hooked up with Disecq and Have hotbird on one Port B also but there are no channels that are FTA except RUSSIA TV. Which is a kind of news channel in English. Man I miss Leafs TV. I looked up Lyngsat but I cant find any hockey there. Im lost without my Toronto Maple Leafs. Is there some sort of a way to decrypt these signals from Hotbird or am I wasting my time? The Reciever I have purchased here is ( and dont Laugh , it was all I could find ) a Strong Technologies Reciever model SRT 4620 II. I have an rs232 port which is hooked up thru my desktop running on 12 Car Batteries that I recharge Daily with my HumVee. They run into a UPS that runs solid for 18-24 hours powering my Shower that runs 4 winshield washer pumps that I have running from the Tigris River. Then I also Have 2 Solar Pannels for charging the system I usually get about 3-6 hours out of them. By the time the water comes from The Tigris thru the tiny neoprene hoses its hot because they are black so I get about 5 minutes of warm sometimes hot water. Anyway just thought Id share my inventive side......Now Im rambling.....

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Your terminology of FTA is different from what it means to us
FTA= Free To Air channels, meaning channels that are NOT encrypted.
Hot Bird has hundred of FTA channels, mostly not that exciting, unless one subscribes to a certain package.
I am not sure if there are any channels on hot Bird that show hockey, but try checking the Swiss package SRG. They have a sport channel and they might show hokey now and then. But you need a subscription, which is not easy to get.
If you miss the programs that much, ask someone from home to record on DVD and to send you by express post.

TheRadioMan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Iraq
I really like this forum , thanks for that Swiss carries hockey now Ill I have to do is figure out what I need to point at

mmana2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pansat 2700A
Dish LNB
My Location
CANADA
I would think that Russia would have hockey games. Anywho, I found a website that has streaming video of hockey here it is if you wasnt ot check it out.
(change 77 to tt i'm not sure if you can post live links here).
h77p://www.hockeystreams.com/index

I'm sure if you googled streaming hockey videos you will find even more.