Is it worth it?

Benzade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ISS 1 Meter dish with Invacom 0.3dB LNB. Technomate 5400 CI+ Super receiver.
My Location
Wigan, UK
Hi everyone, just a quick question really regards cams Diablo, Dragon etc. With the impending change over to Nagra 3 for Digi Tv almost iminent is it really worth investing in a cam and programmer when to my knowledge it will only be able to open a handful of Biss Key channels or am I wrong on this?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Personally I think you might as well wait for the next development, although you should include a few details regarding your satellite equipment, that way you would get better information.
Many satellite receivers are patchable and will provide everything the Dragon/T-Rex cam can, as this cam is old and has no official support anymore.
The Diablo 2.3 cam provides a little more but not worth the investment of both Cam and Cas programmer, but again it depends on what satellite equipment you already have, your dish set up, motorized or fixed, dish size etc., to ascertain which satellites you can receive, and your general location, e.g. North West England.
Do you currently only have the Sky set up listed?

Benzade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wigan, UK
Hi Mickha, sorry about the lack of info, my profile is long overdue an update. I live in the North West of England about 20 miles outside of Manchester. My system is a Technomate 5400 CI Super + with a 1 metre dish. I've already patched it so that Digi Tv on Thor 1W is open and have enjoyed the back end of the footie season on there but get a feeling from the way people are talking that this will not be an option at the start of next years season and was wondering what, if any other options are available apart from using a technique most forums don't like members talking about.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Digi TV will probably have gone secure by the start of next season. There may be a few weeks of access whilst the card swaps finish but anyone hoping for a full season of footy off 1W is going to be disappointed.

Benzade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wigan, UK
I agree with the last statement regards Digi Tv, maybe there is a big development on the horizon in respect of Nagra 3. But if not is it worth investing in an offical subs card from say ART etc at the start of next season with a compatable cam? If so does anyone know of any reputable dealers in this field?
Thanks in advance

A nonymous

Reaction score
The Portuguese enthusiasts have been trying to break Nagra3 for over 12 months since TV Cabo & Digital+ went to Nagra3 and they are no closer to it now than they were at the start :eek:

I think it may be a while before N3 becomes open if it ever comes open at all. Looking at it i think Kudelski have got it right this time and have a created a very secure system unlike N1 & N2 were 'O'-red

As far as i am aware ART have regained some of the rights for premiereship footy this year :D

You can give Marconi Digital a try when purchasing an Art Card. I've found them very competitive and very helpful when i have purchased from them in the past :-righton

:-beer

Nano

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
There was a file dump, taken from a supposed future Underworld 201, that seemed to indicate that N3 was available, but this is more likely to be a faked read out.
Personally I would wait a few weeks, and see what happens, as there are some new receivers, competing for the same market, the Q Box HD and the AZ HD receivers, one of them might have something special soon.
Otherwise there might be a new cam, or card, released, we usually get something for the start of the football season.

Benzade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wigan, UK
Sorry for the late reply chaps, sounds like sound advice regards holding off making any decisions regarding next season. Will need to know who's retained their rights etc before investing in any form of subs card.

Just as idle curiosity does anyone know if Polsat have followed Sky down the route of marrying cards to receivers now and if so would it work in my Technomate with correct cam and third party software?

Benzade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wigan, UK
Benzade said:
Just as idle curiosity does anyone know if Polsat have followed Sky down the route of marrying cards to receivers now and if so would it work in my Technomate with correct cam and third party software?

Guess from the silence the answer is "No".

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Benzade said:
Guess from the silence the answer is "No".

Well I do not know the answer either but a lot of broadcasters are going down that road, as I assume they can have a cut of the sales of the stb as well

Benzade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wigan, UK
Hi Topper, thanks for the reply just a rumour I heard was wondering if there was anything in it. Seems a lot of broadcasters whos services were compromised in the past are now looking at Skys way of doing things to maintain control of their broadcasts.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Benzade said:
Hi Topper, thanks for the reply just a rumour I heard was wondering if there was anything in it. Seems a lot of broadcasters whos services were compromised in the past are now looking at Skys way of doing things to maintain control of their broadcasts.

I think you will find it is just that sky is partnering these companies like Premiere, Sky Italia etc hence why use a system that has been compromised, use one that hasn't and NDS has not been for a very long time indeed. It is in effect a halfway house system between the ultra secure Powervu system and a 3rd generation card system.