Ive got a faulty Fortec Star Passion+ :(

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sat newbie. fortec star passion+
My Location
preston
Hello guys. Im wondering if somebody would be so kind in trying to help me repair my faulty Fortec Star Passion+.

The story goes...Was working fine last night, turned it off as usual at night, turned it on in the morning and seems dead, nothing on the display. If left on for a few mins and then turn off at the switch the blue light flashes very quickly.
Ive had the lid off as i dont have the receipt to take back as the receiver was given to me a short time ago. The power supply seems slightly different than other power supply faults that ive seen on the internet with the bulging capacitors. mainly that they are 3300uf rather than the 2200uf (c201 and c206)

Theres nothing on the display, but my av receiver amp does seem to change slightly as if theres something trying to come on.

Can anybody please give me any pointers on whats my next step?

Fantastic forums by the way. Just sorry my 1st post is a plead for help. sorry.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
First of all - unplug the receiver from the mains and then disconnect the dish - then power up and see if the receiver comes to life.

If so, you have a dish problem

If not - try uploading new firmware from this site

_http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads/index.asp?products=114,1

Then try again

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
preston
hi mate, thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunatly for me ive already tried this :( i have placed the .dnl file onto the root of the usb stick but there doesn't seem to be any voltage as usb doesn't light up.
Is there a way to do this via null modem ? or as a last resort jtag?

i would be really happy if i could get any response from it. lol

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
chriswhittleuk said:
hi mate, thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunatly for me ive already tried this :( i have placed the .dnl file onto the root of the usb stick but there doesn't seem to be any voltage as usb doesn't light up.
Is there a way to do this via null modem ? or as a last resort jtag?

i would be really happy if i could get any response from it. lol

Sounds like there's a problem on one of the output voltages loading the power supply, causing it to shut down soon after switch-on. It would be difficult to ascertain which one without disconnecting each one in turn; the problem with doing that is that without one of the major supplies connected, the power supply might cease to work anyway with no loading.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
preston
Thanks to all that have read and replied to this thread. After spending most of the day on it Llew was correct. Faulty power supply. . It turns out that 1 of the diodes was faulty as it went short. (6ohms). I fell lucky in finding the fault to be honest and cost me a price of just 23pence. Result. Just in case this thread helps other members i have replace the fault diode with 1N5402. Maplin code QL83. the diode on the psu was SF34 i think. Hopefully ive done my homework and managed to keep it from breaking.

Gonna sit back and have a good read as ALL this is very new to me. This receiver was a neighbours, untill it broke and gave it to me :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Don't tell him, just buy him a pint next week.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Very nice result.

The only thing that nags me slightly with this sort of thing is you can rarely be confident what the cause was ...... but I guess you'll soon find out if a latent fault elsewhere remains lurking ready to bite again. Let's hope it was just ageing and thermal stress (or something else unlikely to recur).

Arristabryan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD+
Moteck GS2100 Motor
60cm Dish single LNB
Sony Bravia Hi Def TV
My Location
Nottinghamshire
Hi all,

Had a bit of a problem with my Passion box which, having read this and similar threads, I diagnosed as the faulty 2200uF C201 problem. Took out the PSU board and yes the cap was definately bloated. However, on checking the rest of the board I found a shorted diode. It is D105 and is to the left of the transformer T101 and above the RC combo R104/C102. The problem I have is that on removing the faulty diode from the board it disintegrated so I am unable to identify the type.

Can any of you guys give me any help and provide the type code for me please. All I have to do then is work out why it went in the first place. but that is another job to keep me going while waiting for England to score tomorrow.

Hope someone can help as this is a really useful site.