Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I did a comparison of four LNBs on my new TD88 in Helsinki looking at 28.2E. I don't have a satellite meter so I'm just going by what the receiver shows.

The LNBs I tested where a new Inverto Black Ultra Single, a two year old Inverto Black Ultra twin, a new Inverto Black Ultra Quad, and a new Opticum LQP-04H Quad (as recommended by members on the Spanish threads - thanks).

Below is a table with the results from the transponders I can receive as shown by the quality reading in dB on my DrHD F15. I can't receive any UK spots or the top end 2F European beam but from the transponders I can receive it seems like the Inverto Black Ultra Single is the winner with the Opticum LQP-04H coming closely in second place. The Black Ultra Twin seemed to be worst on most frequencies but not sure if that was due to it's age. I'm quite pleased with the Opticum LQP-04H and I'll be using that for Sky since I need three outputs and it beat the Black Ultra Quad almost every time. For other satellites I'll stick to using the Black Ultra Single LNBs as I only need one output for each of them.

Green = best result
Yellow = second
Red = third
Grey = worst result

lnb-comparison.gif

A

archive10

Interesting stuff...

Don't have an IBU2 myself, but your findings actually support what I measured earlier this year wrsp to the IBU1 vs IBU4. I had about 1dB more C/N ratio with the IBU1. Notably, though, the IBU4, gave a higher output - perhaps useful for long and/or bad signal paths.

So, while it is difficult to say if your findings also apply to spot-beam reception (remember, with 2D some LNBs performed markedly better on the verticals in Scandinavia), the fact that our results are similar, and that I measured 10773 means that it could be the case.

And the Opticumlooks good, though!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Good work Timo.

TBH, it's about what I was expecting. It's a shame that you can't get the spot beams as those are the frequencies a heck of lot of people are interested in.

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Perfect timing with the test, I was looking for some info on which of the single/twin/quad Inverto Black Ultra was the best as I am looking to set up a fixed dish for 7W. :)

Clown man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28,2 & 19,2 on Gibby 150cm ..2x Opticum Premium LNB's....Opticum 5x12 Multiswitch....Humax Freesat HDR's custom FW ...Pioneer Kuro & Panasonic Viera W60 Plasma tv's
My Location
Munich.....Germany......
When 2 or more outputs from a LNB are needed............I would say the Opticum LNB is the easy winner........ the winning Inverto black single LNB .....as it only has one output.....Is not much use to anyone......on the fringe trying to receive 28,2 with a Humax or Sky PVR that requires or needs 2 or more connections to their dish............

Last edited:

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
It did get me thinking if it would be possible to build some kind of OMT waveguide type thing to fit two modified Black Ultra singles on one dish, thereby getting two outputs, but after hacking everything to bits and introducing extra waveguides I'm sure signal levels would be down anyway. I suppose the other option is having two dishes pointing at the same satellite...

(Or then live with only watching/recording one channel at a time! This might have to be my option eventually)