looking to buy a satellite meter, need advice

Ask

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Prime focus 120cm al. dish, V2-box/actuator and quad Invacom LNB.(28,2E--15 satellites--40,5W). IPbox 9000HD.
My Location
Norway
An advice:
what to buy a satellite meter like Satlink WS-6918P HIK 8PSK DVB-S & DVB-S2 etc. or the new Dr. HD D15 receiver with spectrum analyzer?

Ask

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Prime focus 120cm al. dish, V2-box/actuator and quad Invacom LNB.(28,2E--15 satellites--40,5W). IPbox 9000HD.
My Location
Norway
Need an advice:

To buy a satellite meter like Satlink WS-6918P HIQ 8PSK DVB-S & DVB-S2(or other meter) or the new Dr. HD D15 receiver with spectrum analyzer?

Regards
Ask

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not tried any of those budget meters, but a few members have. I've split your posts from the unrelated Astra 2F thread.

Steve Stras

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
W2 astra
My Location
Strasbourg
ASK
I bought the satlink WS6918P a couple of months ago (you can see the related thread a bit further down in this section) and I'm quite happy with the unit. It allows you to identify which satellite you've found which I think is important at the lower end of the price range. For aligninment it has been a great help for me, the meter and power indicators appear to react in real time. When it comes to finding the more powerful birds such a meter allows you to find them within seconds. The spectrum analyser feature is a bit slower to react, though I think this is expected for such a price.

You're proposing to use the D15 as an alignment tool ? Depends on your needs but, personally, I don't think there's a substitute for a portable satellite meter with it's own power.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
I'm very happy with my Satlink WS6906 , much easier to hook it around your neck when your 15 feet up on a ladder!

Ask

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway
Steve Stras said:
ASK
I bought the satlink WS6918P a couple of months ago (you can see the related thread a bit further down in this section) and I'm quite happy with the unit.
Hello!

Thank you for the good advice, as didn`t know about the information in this part of the forum.

You have experience with the Satlink meter "--to finding the more powerful birds such a meter--", but will the Satlink WS6918P be able to receive and handle weak signal from Astra 2F?

All I need is to detect the signal, and hopefully I can resolve the present problem with Astra 2F. With my 1.2m center feed dish I have no response on my Ipbox 9000, but I do hope a satellite meter will do! I may need a bigger dish, if this area receive enough signal strength?

Regards
Ask

Steve Stras

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
W2 astra
My Location
Strasbourg
ASK
Have a look at the 2F reception map which Analoguesat has very kindly put together, the web address is in his autosignature. I don't see any entries of successful reception of 2F in western Norway.

The Satlink is fine with weaker signals, in fact that's probably when it's most useful to have a meter, you can establish if the dish is correctly aligned and it's also possible to identify what you're looking at, if you can't find the signal with a meter then you know it's not there, though more likely you'll see some of the signal but you can establish that it simply isn't strong enough with the dish you have.

Good luck
Steve

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
I have the Satlink 6906 which is very basic but does the job, specially once you have located the bird. I have just received my new FS1 (First Strike 1) which is on charge. I intend to use it tomorrow and can let you know then how I get on.

Ask

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norway
Steve Stras said:
ASK
Have a look at the 2F reception map which Analoguesat has very kindly put together, the web address is in his autosignature. I don't see any entries of successful reception of 2F in western Norway.

The Satlink is fine with weaker signals, in fact that's probably when it's most useful to have a meter, you can establish if the dish is correctly aligned and it's also possible to identify what you're looking at, if you can't find the signal with a meter then you know it's not there, though more likely you'll see some of the signal but you can establish that it simply isn't strong enough with the dish you have.

Good luck
Steve
Steve

Just before Christmas I received my first WS 6918P, but I had to return it. Just a few days ago I got the new one, and as I understand, the instrument works well.

At my place on the west-coast of Norway I don't have the best reception(1.2m dish) regards to Astra 2F, but approx. 30 km to the west(parallel to UK spot) one guy get 80% Quality with a 1.2m dish.
The readings I have so far from the 5 tps are only - 43 to - 45 dBm and - 57 dBm. The Constellation diagram show a "burst/ dots" nearly all over(in a ring).

As I tried the tp. 10714 on Astra 1N I got - 33 dBm and L86%/ Q100% reception.

I know I have to buy a new dish later this year, but I need an advice how to interpret the result so far?

(Is this correct: -45,22dBm = 0,00003 mW, -43dBm = 0.0001mW and -33dBm = 0,0005mW ?)

Regards
Ask

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Juan69 said:
I have the Satlink 6906 which is very basic but does the job, specially once you have located the bird. I have just received my new FS1 (First Strike 1) which is on charge. I intend to use it tomorrow and can let you know then how I get on.
I am on the whole happy with the FS1. I have gone through the range of Channel info in Kingofsat and typed it into my FS1. I keep a little notebook with that info and take the FS1 and notebook to the dish when tinkering. The screen on the FS1 is really good with the warning/sound guide also useful when moving the dish looking for the signals.