(lost TV picture) YPbPr selected instead of component

salohcin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
"Dish Network" Dish/LNB, DM500S Clone
My Location
Florida, USA
I am good with tech but I am also a newbie to sat receivers and would appreciate your help.

A very non-tech friend just gave me a clone DM500 because thinks he "broke it"... Its not broken. I just need some help finding out how to reset the video output settings on this unit, so I can use it.

It wont display a picture on any TV because he changed the video output to "YPbPr", when there is no scart YPbPr connector attached, only component RCA cables. (So i believe its just not sending the picture to the correct output)

When he opened the box to do the initial setup, he says he changed the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 (not an issue) then, even though his DM500 was hooked up via red white & yellow component RCA cables, he selected "RGB" and when he got the message saying that he must restart Enigma for this change to take effect, he then changed "RGB" to "YPbPr" (I dont know why)... and when he restarted Enigma, the screen went black and never came back on. From New to Not Useable in 5 minutes, lol.

Now that I have this unit, I hook it up, power it on, green light comes on, blank black TV screen blinks as if it were about to show the setup screen... Then, Nothing... Screen stays black.

What's the best way to get this unit to display a picture again?
(I'd use the remote control to reset the factory default settings, but I cant since the unit wont show a picture on the TV to be able to view that menu)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Don't know the DM500, but can't you access the menu in the LCD display?

A nonymous

Reaction score
Just use Dreamup and and reflash new firmware to it. Its an older version of Dreamup i have included but it works fine on both genuine and clone DM500 units.

Make sure you select erase flash and it will factorty reset it.

You will need a null modem cable to do this and also a pc with a RS232 connector ( Com 1).

Simples :D

Nano

Attachments

• DreamUP.zip
    588 KB · Views: 64

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Theoretically it should be possible to connect the Y output into the Green input on RGB Scart, to get a black and white picture.You should be able to by an RGB to Scart adapapter to do that, or wreck a scart cable.

EDIT for some strange reason I typed the letter Wy but coming up as Sky. Whatever next!!

A nonymous

Reaction score
Nah my idea is better :-lmao

No offense Robbo :D

You'll need a nullmodem cable anyway to upadte the boxes image :D

andel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800, DM600, Technomate Diseqc Motor, 90cm Dish
Panasonic 42" Plasma 1080p
Pioneer VSX-LX70 Amp
Sky HD
B & W 5.1 Speaker Setup
Popcornhour Media center
Xbox 360
My Location
Watching T.V in the UK
cant you just log in via the web interface and bring up the web remote, with a combination of screen grabs ect cant you change the video settings or as nano says reflash!!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Mmm let me think , reflash the box or alter the setting, think I'd rather get the video working nano! Lol

A nonymous

Reaction score
I just like reflashing my boxes :D

The reason for this is that it definately removes any other issues your friend may have caused and you get to try different images.

I can definately recommend the new release of Powerboard Enigma VX.

It has more or less bought my dBox2 back to life. Its as fast as MD Neutrino which was on it before and as just as stable.

Normally Enigma images run quite slowly on a dBox2 but it isn't the case with this one.

If it runs this well on the dBox2 it can only be better on the DM500 :D

There is a link to the Powerboard download site below.

Code:
http://www.pb-download.com/images/

I don't think i'll be needing to replace the DM7020 just yet :D

Nano

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Might be best to stick with images specific to NA, just to be on the safe side. Unless that one is tailored also to work stateside (satellite xml lists etc.)

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @salohcin,

Using the Webif , that @andel suggests, seems simplest to me (certainly the way I would deal with it).
On Gemini Image (will be same or very similar for other images), make sure box is ON and not in standby, then:
From PC or Laptop, Log-in to Webif (_http://ip.of.the.dreambox) using a web browser (I use Firefox)...User: root...Password: dreambox..(unless changed by owner)...click Control...click Remote Control...click Menu button on on-screen remote control (also labelled Dream)...
Important: Wait for PC displayed menu to update each time before clicking the next option...
click 6 (Setup)...click 3 (System Settings)...click 2 (A/V Settings)...click Left (Right) Arrow to change Color Format through its settings...click Save when you have the correct one displayed...close the Remote Control window...click Reboot.

When the box has finished rebooting, all should be OK.

BTW: If it was a Gemini image you could do this blind using the real remote:
press Menu...press 6...press 3...press 2...press Left Arrow several times and system will be CVBS (change to whatever you want later when video o/p working)...press Green button to save...press exit button several times...power down, pause, power up, box to reboot.

Best wishes, John.