Maplins 1.8 floor mount dish

jimmyf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
THOMPSON decoder 1.1m dish
My Location
sthelens
Hi

my local satellite installer fitted an 85cm dish thinking it would recieve Viasat but I cannot recieve any verticals, I have been informed to get viasat on 5east I would need a minimim dish size of 1.2m, I have seen a 1.8m dish on the Maplin site at £100 does any one know if that would do the Job or there is another on the Brymar site at £150 for 150cm but I would have to buy a fixing kit, I would prefer a 1.2 but cant see anyone advertising a 1.2m dish and even then I,m not sure if I will be wasting my money as I may or may not recieve a signal here in St.helens with that size dish and I have already paid out once

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Exactly what channels are you wanting to receive??
Also you would need planning permission for such a size of dish.

jimmyf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sthelens
I have a viasat contract for tv3,tv4,tv1000 ,1,2,3, Viasat3,3plus,Viasat,z,NRK 1+2 VIASAT SPORT 1,2,3 51 Preprogrammed channels in all, I was going to take a flyer on the planning permission until I can see if I can get the system up and running,it's £165 and they may not bother!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well a couple of years ago I used to watch those all all the time before they went secure, I do not know if there have been any major changes since then regarding beam direction etc but my 1.2 mtr was sufficient except in very heavy rain. Regarding the permission, people are really not very tolerant and somebody will complain if it can be seen.

By the way I though your profile said Manchester, St Helens is midway between Liverpool and Manchester I believe

jimmyf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sthelens
thanks for the information, if you are Northwest I will try a 1.2 m Dish!

yes midway between the two

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
jimmyf said:
thanks for the information, if you are Northwest I will try a 1.2 m Dish!
Well I did want to check what the situation was nowadays and this evening I have done just that, I can get the horizontals but not very well 60% level approx 20% quality (but it is raining here) and the verticals I am struggling with, in fact I get the same reaction on my receiver as I did a couple of years ago when they first securely encrypted where the signal is approx 60% and the quality fluctuates wildly between 3% and 100% most odd, if you are able to overcome the planning permission or hide the dish then I would go for the largest you can afford to ensure there is no dropout on those nordic beams during wet weather of which there is a lot in North West

jimmyf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sthelens
Topper said:
Well I did want to check what the situation was nowadays and this evening I have done just that, I can get the horizontals but not very well 60% level approx 20% quality (but it is raining here) and the verticals I am struggling with, in fact I get the same reaction on my receiver as I did a couple of years ago when they first securely encrypted where the signal is approx 60% and the quality fluctuates wildly between 3% and 100% most odd, if you are able to overcome the planning permission or hide the dish then I would go for the largest you can afford to ensure there is no dropout on those nordic beams during wet weather of which there is a lot in North West
Thanks for checking it out, Spoken to my Local supplier who has recommeded a 165cm base mounted dish at £530 supplied and fitted, I will need to create a 3ft concrete base at the bottom of the garden for the base, I may give that task to the Mrs as she's Swedish and apart from the sports it,s mainly for her use lol, even then the supplier cannot guarantee it will work all of the time but as i,m commited to a 2yr contract and beyond the point of no return I will have to run with it, cheaper than moving house though eh!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are still considering the 1.8m dish be warned they are poor build quality. One of the members on this forum had one. Until the mid January gales . Then it was destroyed as the petals folded in the wind :eek:

jimmyf

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sthelens
Analoguesat said:
If you are still considering the 1.8m dish be warned they are poor build quality. One of the members on this forum had one. Until the mid January gales . Then it was destroyed as the petals folded in the wind :eek:
No, going for a 165cm from a satellite installer, cant remember the Brand but I think it sounded italian, but thanks for the info!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I should have made that clear its the Maplins 1.8m that is poor build quality. Im not rubbishing all 1.8's!

R

Rd100

It is c*ap qulity the dish is ok if you want a quick mess about with low power ku-band satellites and c-band,

People need to remeber they need to buy a adjustable ku-band feedhorn to use this dish and a lot of time & a good meter to get the petals in to the right shape so this is not a dish for a novice,

Analoguesat said:
I should have made that clear its the Maplins 1.8m that is poor build quality. Im not rubbishing all 1.8's!

R

Rd100

If its a 165cm it's most likely a cheap fortec star AKA jonsa AKA satchaser,

All so just to add i am in south wales and i can get all 5'e sirius transponders on my 1.2m andrews.

jimmyf said:
No, going for a 165cm from a satellite installer, cant remember the Brand but I think it sounded italian, but thanks for the info!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 2.4m Ground mounted with an
Invacom 0.3 Dual feed LNB C120 fitted Channel Master feedhorn
Panasonic DS30 with complete SKY package
Technomate TMS1500 ci for FTA (BBC + ITV)
My Location
Oslo, Norway
jimmyf said:
Hi

my local satellite installer fitted an 85cm dish thinking it would recieve Viasat but I cannot recieve any verticals, I have been informed to get viasat on 5east I would need a minimim dish size of 1.2m, I have seen a 1.8m dish on the Maplin site at £100 does any one know if that would do the Job or there is another on the Brymar site at £150 for 150cm but I would have to buy a fixing kit, I would prefer a 1.2 but cant see anyone advertising a 1.2m dish and even then I,m not sure if I will be wasting my money as I may or may not recieve a signal here in St.helens with that size dish and I have already paid out once
Hi Jimmy

Have a look on UK e-bay
Channel Masters (Andrews) 1.2m going cheap & will do the job well.
Just make sure you get the right LNB

Cheers Johnny

Oslo Norway

Hilsen fra Norge

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 2.4m Ground mounted with an
Invacom 0.3 Dual feed LNB C120 fitted Channel Master feedhorn
Panasonic DS30 with complete SKY package
Technomate TMS1500 ci for FTA (BBC + ITV)
My Location
Oslo, Norway
Hi Jimmy

Channel Master 1.2m with roofstand mount (No need to dig!) and LNB with Channel Master feedhorn up for grabs UK ebay item 300109050009 No bids at the moment Starting at £25! or Buy Now Price: £110 Ends 13.05.2007 21.24 BST

Looks cool to me.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
I think you might be three month's too late with this information, look at the date.:)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Just checked the ebay number and the dish is on until Sunday 13th May 21:24, but I personally would go for a 1.5M minimum, so the 1.65 Metre dish should do the trick.
You would also have to pick the dish up, but if you live near Watford you could get a bargain.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A 1.5m offset (Gibertini ?) would have a maximum height of about 1.65m.

But as Rob says, I think the deal has already been done.

kitschcamp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TiVo & Sky/Astra 2D on a 1.8m Andrews dish. Canal Digital on 80cm fixed dish. DM800HD and DM500 on both dishes.
My Location
Eslöv, Skåne, Sweden
Analoguesat said:
I can go with that - we've got one of the 2.4m Fortec Star dishes and in our high winds you could see it oscillating in and out of shape. It's never been the same since. The adjustment for the elevation is crude and difficult to do, and the painting is dreadful! We installed ours in July and by November it was starting to rust badly. Oh, and it even came with the wrong type of LNB and mount (a standard LNB and mount instead of a C120 that's needed).

We're now saving up for something more worthwhile.