Meters with realtime spectrum analyzer

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Currently use a Satlook Digital NIT, but looking for something more up to date. Is there any similar meter (under £1000) which has a realtime spectrum analyzer comparable to the Emitor range of meters?

I've used a Trimax in the past, the spectrum scan is quite slow in comparison.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not as far as i know, the NIT is as fast as anything around.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Stick with the Satlook Digital NIT. For your budget, there's isn't anything better ;)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Tsiklon said:
Currently use a Satlook Digital NIT, but looking for something more up to date. Is there any similar meter (under £1000) which has a realtime spectrum analyzer comparable to the Emitor range of meters?
I've got a Color HD, bought direct from Emitor a couple of years ago.

[video=youtube;rKLDiGF4fSo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKLDiGF4fSo&feature=plcp[/video]

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
One problem in particular I have with the NIT is how slow/poor it is at locking weaker digital channels (even when the same channels can be viewed artefact free on a sat receiver) and therefore sometimes it can be difficult to get a BER reading for weaker channels.

Are the newer Emitor HD/DVB-S2 meters similarly slow at locking weaker channels?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you are looking at a realtime spectrum of a signal with your existing analyser (in order to set up a system) it wouldn't matter in the slightest if you have ensured you have done your best outside/through any switching matrix to the socket.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Tsiklon said:
One problem in particular I have with the NIT is how slow/poor it is at locking weaker digital channels (even when the same channels can be viewed artefact free on a sat receiver) and therefore sometimes it can be difficult to get a BER reading for weaker channels.

Are the newer Emitor HD/DVB-S2 meters similarly slow at locking weaker channels?
Yes that can be a problem on weak signals where the dish size is questionable. I've got a satcatcher and that will stay locked right down to 3dB, which is well below the receive threshold.

Sometimes I use both at the same time so I have the digital readout and the spectrum. I connect them together with a spliter/combiner and DC blocker in front of the Emitor. Best of both worlds.

BM300

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, 7020, 800HD
HD-USB
8 Dishes
My Location
UAE
If you are looking for fast response, the analog meters are the fastest.
you cannot go wrong with them.

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Sorry for bumping this thread again, but I was wondering how the scan rate on the Satlook Micro HD compares to the Satlook Digital? Is it the same on the Micro or slower?