Freesat
My Location
Powys
Hi,
My equipment is from Maplin namely:
Digi Sat Receiver SL 35/1CI (non HD)
Fortec Star 45cm Elip Mesh Dish
FSKUVN LNB

Having installed the items above and directed the dish towards Astra 28.2 (the television is telling me that Astra 28.2 is the Sat I am receiving a signal from) which I understand is the correct Satellite for Freesat. I am able to receive a very good signal for any channel above 100 not including the pay channels of course.
As soon as I try to switch to a channel below 100 ie BBC ITV etc I get nothing.

I presume I am doing something wrong but am a little confused as to what. Can anyone offer any assistance?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
What "100" are you referring to?

What I'm getting at is: does the Receiver have a prestored Channel list or have you scanned the Satellite position yourself?

If you are using a pre-stored list, they are invariably out of date, so I advise you to do a scan anyway.

Auto (or Blind) Scan if there is such a facility.

Otherwise, you'll need to ensure the stored Transponder list is up to date before carrying out a manual scan.

I am assuming, given the Thread Title, that you've taken into account the skew vagaries of your LNB.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Powys
HI,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, you have to forgive me but I am slightly out of my depth here, my fiddling with electronics was back when the red spot transister was all the rage. I think that I will have to engage the services of a professional but until then.

I have done a new Auto scan using the Astra 28.2E Sat, I set the scan to 'ALL' and only the TV channels.
I have now 891 channels one of which for instance is Channel 218 France 24, but no BBC or ITV channels does this tell you what I have done wrong?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, the good old OC71, eh?

Methinks we are of the same vintage (If you've got a biscuit tin full of ECL82 Valves in the shed, that proves it ......................)

I'm going to have to cogitate about this - the Channel list can be edited however you wish once you've scanned, so your Channel 180 (for example) wouldn't be the same as anyone else's. In due course, you can delete all the cr*p and number the desired Channels as you wish.

An Auto scan should have found all Transponders, but to save too much brain-ache (on my part, let alone yours!), please look at the Transponder list that has been created and make sure that all the relevant ones are there: Just for starters, look for one with the parameters 10773 H 22000.

If it isn't there, Add it (Read the manual, or just be instinctive) and scan that TP alone - report what happens.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Further:

If the above yields no improvement, the next thing to check would be the LNB Settings: These should be selected as Universal (possibly qualified by 9750/10600). If they aren't you would get incomplete/incorrect search results.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I may be wrong but I suspect your dish is not pointing at 28.2 East since France 24 is transmitted from both 19.2 East and 13 East in both English and French. This is not possible to confirm since you mention no other channels that you can currently watch

edit

I laid the final remnants of my Philips electronic kit to rest a few weeks ago

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Topper said:
I may be wrong but I suspect your dish is not pointing at 28.2 East since France 24 is transmitted from both 19.2 East and 13 East in both English and French. This is not possible to confirm since you mention no other channels that you can currently watch

edit

I laid the final remnants of my Philips electronic kit to rest a few weeks ago

Well if he scans the TP I referred to and we get TV Polonia, that'll tell us something ............... :)

I had one of those kits - if it's the one with a bit of hardboard with a matrix of holes and a connection system comprising springs and funny little wire clips.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, your channel numbers mean absolutely nothing to anyone else. You must speak of specific frequencies and what you do or don't get from them. Check lyngsat.com for further details.

Only the likes of Sky,Freesat and Freeview etc have certain channels on certain channel numbers, in the FTA sat world people generally put channels where they feel like putting them and thus channel numbers are irrelevant.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Powys
Hi All,

Success, thanks to all of you. I may not be fully up to speed with the technical terms but reading your replies helps to focus the mind and eventually end up with the right outcome. With the information that you have suplied me with I realised that yes I was pointing to the wrong satellite. Shifting a little to the east,raising the elevation a few degrees and the meter started to sing, then even better with a twist on the LNB. Thank you again I have now put the ladders away and can take a well earned rest.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ah, so you really didn't want TV Polonia, then! :D

Well done. The fog lifts quite quickly.

Time to start thinking about multi-satellite now ..........................

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Tivù said:
Ah, the good old OC71, eh?

Methinks we are of the same vintage (If you've got a biscuit tin full of ECL82 Valves in the shed, that proves it ......................)

The white spot transistor (OC44) gave me a lot of fun building RF front ends. By the time it'd been soldered in and out of various circuits, there wasn't much lead length left :-rofl2

B9A valves? New technology for me. I preferred the little WW2 Acorn valve, ideal for superregen circuits. I seem to remember receiving FM radio using one.

Llew

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Llew said:
The white spot transistor (OC44) gave me a lot of fun building RF front ends. By the time it'd been soldered in and out of various circuits, there wasn't much lead length left :-rofl2

B9A valves? New technology for me. I preferred the little WW2 Acorn valve, ideal for superregen circuits. I seem to remember receiving FM radio using one.

Llew

I wonder if anybody sells 6.3v batteries these days?

Birketts of Lincoln would be a good bet! He must be 174 years old by now.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Tivù said:
I had one of those kits - if it's the one with a bit of hardboard with a matrix of holes and a connection system comprising springs and funny little wire clips.

That's the one, I have to say it was tremendous fun, I made some real gems with that kit, I think I had the add-on kit as well.

Bigglesaircraft said:
Thank you again I have now put the ladders away and can take a well earned rest.

Glad the penny dropped and you got sorted :)