Motorised dish, flat roof, N.London

joysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky & Free view
My Location
north west london
philbury said:
I'm in North London (Highbury) and want to install a motorised dish. The cabling's in place and it's a flat roof accessible through a skylight and internal ladder (provided!).

I can get the kit if necessary.

I've installed the terrestrial antenna myself but would like an installer for a dish if it's a reasonable price!

have you founf any yet?

icall me if you still needed some one. on ************* am local brent.

joy sat

philbury

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
W7MC - FireDTV and hauppauge S2 tuners
My Location
London & Languedoc
Today was supposed to be sunny. We got the dish in place but it got dark before we could finish it.
Can anyone explain what the declination should be set to on the dish ?

The scale says 80 minus x but the Motek leaflet talks about 40 minus x.

Dishpointer gives me (for my location)
Latitude 51.6
Longitude -0.1025
Declination 7.4 which agrees with the Motek table

But then it says Dish Elevation 23 which I don’t get because the Motek table clearly says 38.5 elevation for this latitude.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't get sidetracked by the declination figure, it is only required for roughly setting the dish, don't try aligning by mechanical/compass settings, or this thread will go on for days just set the dish so it is slightly off the vertical leaning back.

Don't know why everyone gets tied up with this, none of the guides mention setting the declination precisely.

Use your meter if you have one, or a portable TV so that you can watch the receiver's signal strength and quality readings, then by moving the whole assembly on the mount and the dish elevation (declination), find 1W, best to make sure the receiver is set for a transponder that you can receive, 11325 H for BBC World is good.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Some Motecks are -40 and some are -30.

As said forget declination setting just roughly set the dish slightly pointed up from vertical.

> Start with the motor on zero (goto reference in motor menu).
> Input your long/Lat under usals (Latitude 51.6 Longitude & -0.1025 / 0.1W).
> Send the dish to Thor.
> Align as per the guides.

:)

philbury

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
W7MC - FireDTV and hauppauge S2 tuners
My Location
London & Languedoc
I got it working! Thanks everyone...

I had trouble to begin with because I was using ProgDVB to measure signal strength and quality and nothing was coming up at all. then I realised you also had to tell it what transponder to listen out for.

I think as a newbie you imagine that it's going to be so hard to lock on to a satellite because it's 38526kms away but actually it's not all that hard. I now have BBC HD via my FireDTV. Brilliant.:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well done, great result. :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes, good result :)