n00b question: common setups

nedge2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Communal dish, QQ Box USB DVB-S Tuner, AMD 5050e / ATI 780g based HTPC, Pinnacle 3010ix Twin DVB-T Tuner
My Location
Leicester, UK
Hi guys,

Just bought a USB DVB-S tuner for my HTPC as my flat has a (single) "sat" coax connector on the wall.

Now, I know sod all about satellite stuff so I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer an opinion as to what my building's setup might be? We have no building manager, our letting agent is useless and I've been round the building trying to find where the dish feed comes in to no avail so it's all guesswork at the mo!

I'm assuming the dish will be pointed at 28.2 for sky? (building was all refurb'd in 2000)
I'm assuming there will be some kinda switch/diseqc? (there are 12 flats)
Which KU band is most likely for the LNB(s)?

I've tried hooking the tuner up to Prog DVB but it always says no signal/quality. Been at this for a few days now and it's driving me nuts. I don't know whether the tuner is duff, the dish is duff or I'm just telling the software the wrong stuff!

TIA!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well if you're getting signal strength and no quality, it may be that the dish isn't pointing at Astra 28.2, but perhaps Hotbird, it depends on what your fellow residents watch, may be worth asking them.

nedge2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Communal dish, QQ Box USB DVB-S Tuner, AMD 5050e / ATI 780g based HTPC, Pinnacle 3010ix Twin DVB-T Tuner
My Location
Leicester, UK
why was my post moved? im asking about dish setup primarily?

nedge2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, UK
rolfw said:
Well if you're getting signal strength and no quality, it may be that the dish isn't pointing at Astra 28.2, but perhaps Hotbird, it depends on what your fellow residents watch, may be worth asking them.

yeah i've been in this building for 4 years and still don't know any of my neighbours - it's not that kinda building :p i really don't think anyone else uses the communal dish.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I moved the thread because it has little to do with dish setup, as you have no control over the pointing of the dish. It is possibly more to do with setup of your PC card.

Have you used the PC card on another known working system? Are you showing signal strength?

nedge2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, UK
beg to differ there mate, i'm asking about common communal dish setups - where the dish is usually pointed, what types of switches and lnbs are usually used so i can try and get my card working :)

don't know anyone local with satellite so can't test the card on a known good setup :(

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well firstly if you are asking about communal systems, then it doesn't go in the dish setup section, it goes in the Multi receiver/TV systems section.

But you firstly need to know whether your receiver works and has the correct settings and as it is a PC card, this is the section for it.

Most communal systems in the UK point towards Astra 28.2 East and use a multiswitch which acts as a normal LNB to each individual point, if it is a multisat system (which is unlikely) you may need to add a DiSEqC switching port.

You haven't answerred my question though, which is very relevant, did you show any signal strength?

nedge2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, UK
sorry, no, not showing any signal strength in blaze dtv or prog dvb.

so, when i'm setting this up, i should set it as just 1 lnb? not any kind of switch? i've tried all the astra sats with various combos of switch/lnb type and nowt is working :(

are there any apps that can troubleshoot stuff?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
DVBS cards can be tricky to set up, can you take some screen grabs of the setup menus and upload them here?

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
You might have to reinstall yer drivers , as i had a problem with my card when first installed, it didnt show any signal. go to device manager and look under sound/video ect controllers , i right clicked the device for my card and then updated the driver, it worked,also make sure your card is seated ok in its socket and cable + plugs are correctly put together. Gaz