New 4k recorder - no DLNA streaming?

SonofRojBlake

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
New (July 2023) 4k freesat box from Argos.
My Location
Cheshire
I had a Humax Freesat recorder with which I was very happy. One of the things I was happy with was streaming videos off the hard drive of the desktop PC in my office to the TV using the DLNA client. It was a bit more fussy about format than the PS4 which does the same thing, but it was much quieter (the PS4 cooling fans are LOUD).

Then the house across the road was struck by lightning, which bricked the Freesat box. Digirepairs pronounced beyond economic repair, so that's that. I've bought a new 4k Freesat box and installed it, logged in, all fine - nice picture, EPG seems to work, pause and rewind seem to work.

BUT... there's no equivalent to the old "Humax" menu offering other stuff, including the DLNA client. Is there one? If so, how do I find it?

And if not - can anyone recommend a fix? Can one be downloaded? Or do I perhaps need a third TV input to my AV surround receiver to give me the PC streaming functionality without the PS4 fan noise? And if so, what is that gadget, please?

Last edited:

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
without model numbers and specifics you won't find much help here.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
If you were happy with your previous Humax then you should be able to find a used one on Ebay. If you have a smart TV it may have a DLNA app installed on it already.

SonofRojBlake

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
New (July 2023) 4k freesat box from Argos.
My Location
Cheshire
Model number is Arris Freesat UHD-4X-500.

I do not have a smart TV as up to now I've not needed one, already having two DLNA client enabled devices as sources.

I'm just surprised if it's the case that the Freesat box that has apparently replaced the old Humax one has taken such a massive step backwards in terms of features by omitting a DLNA client. I assumed I was just missing the option for it, since it was a *bit* buried in the menus on the Humax.