Newbie Help - building new system 90-100 DIY Dish vs T-90 and other bits to complete

Hakon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My setup
Laminas180cm P.M 60e-30w
24" SuperJack,Clark-Tech V-Box
Laminas120cm CM P.M 75e-30w
18" Superjack, Clark-Tech V-Box
Gibertini XP premium 100cm
Polar Mount, 12" Superjack
75e-30w
2 x Vu+ Duo
My Location
Sweden south
Theres a lot of receiver in that pricecategory, most of them can handle DiSEqC 1.2 and some 1.1. Have in mind at least 6000 channels that can be stored is minimum when you have T-90 with 8LNB. The cheap receiver's have mostly only 4000 channel memory.
The VU+ Duo and equal box have "unlimited" channel memory.
I give some example
EDISON ARGUS VIP 149 EUR
EDISON ARGUS MINI IP 109 EUR
I know nothing about these box but it has what you are asking for. Google and you will find.

Technische Daten

* 2 x Conax Kartenleser integriert
* 2 x Common Interface (CI)
* 2 x USB Recorder / Aufnahmefunktion
* Wiedergabe von MPEG-2 MPEG-4 Formaten
* EPG Elektronischer Programmbegleiter
* TimeShift Zeitversetztes Fernsehen
* PVR Videoaufnahme
* Geräte Typ: HDTV-Receiver für DVB-S2
* DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 und USALS
* Front VFD Display
* Teletext TV
* Software Update: RS 232 / USB
* Datenträger Anschluss: USB
* Standby Strom: unter 1W
* Menüsprachen: Deutsch, Englisch ...
* Programmspeicherplätze: 6000
* FullHD 1920x1080
* Farbe: Schwarz

Anschlüsse

* Video: HDMI, 2 x SCART (TV)+(DVD o.ä), Komponenten Video Ausgang
* Audio: digitaler SPDIF, optischer SPDIF, Chinch Audio, SCART Audio
* 2 x USB zum Anschluss einer externen Festplatte
* RS-232 Datenschnittstelle / Softwareupdate
* 2 x CI Schächte
* 2 x Conax Kartenleser integriert
* Netzwerk / Ethernet Anschluss

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
Top man H.
You are a wealth of info.
Also HD is a plus - if you have a HD TV.

I had eyed up a technomate - Technomate TM-5400 CI+ USB Super , FTA + 10,000 Channels + 1 x Common Interface ( CAM ) slot + 1 Card Reader, USB 2.0 with: PVR Ready for Record & Playback of Channels, MP3/JPEG & Software/Channel List Download + Component (YPbPr) Output + Blind Search + Sensitive Tuner + Optical SPDIF Digital Audio + USALS/DiSEqC 1.2

But is only says channels - it does not mention channel memory.
So this will be no good - I need one that mentions channel storage/memory.

If my understanding is right
Go for HD as everything is going that way.
Make sure its at least 6000 or unlimited channel memory (8lnbs is a lot).

All should be fine for the setup.

One more question
The CI slots - do you have these and do you use them?
Reading that you can get a programmer and CI card and then use the card for these boxes.
Cas Interface 3 Plus - Diablo CAM Light v2.3
Do you use these or something similar - is there USB versions as I have a laptop?

Is it a case of program them via the pc and use them in the receiver to extra more channels!

Many thanks for the advice
Vik
ps (i better scrap the technomate 5400 its no good then).

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Don't get too hung up on the semantics: The TM's 10000 Channel capacity is "memory" ie It will store the parameters of 10000 Channels.

Hakon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My setup
Laminas180cm P.M 60e-30w
24" SuperJack,Clark-Tech V-Box
Laminas120cm CM P.M 75e-30w
18" Superjack, Clark-Tech V-Box
Gibertini XP premium 100cm
Polar Mount, 12" Superjack
75e-30w
2 x Vu+ Duo
My Location
Sweden south
Looks like a pretty good receiver, i think some members here at the forum is using these Technomate.
10 000 channels is what can be stored so thats very good, so try the 5400.

For myself i use VU+ Duo and use the internal cardreaders for my original card, no extra Ca-module.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90, 1 black ultra HighGrain Quuad, 20 smart lnb (2 twins), 16/1 diseqc switch, 2x emp 4/1, S9HD, Vu+ Uno,
My Location
South Wales
Tivù said:
Don't get too hung up on the semantics: The TM's 10000 Channel capacity is "memory" ie It will store the parameters of 10000 Channels.

Thanks Tivu

Without this sites great support I would of given up now.

Glad to hear that the TM will store the channels - was about to give up on it.

Do you know if it has one of those tv guides so you know what coming?

I better make sure I am not missing out any vital info as the spec alway look so good.

cheers vik

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Hakon said:
Looks like a pretty good receiver, i think some members here at the forum is using these Thecnomate.
10 000 channels is what can be stored so thats very good, so try the 5400.

For myself i use VU+ Duo and use the internal cardreaders for my original card, no extra Ca-module.

'A' Star old boy

Nearly gave it up - I thought it would of been a great starting receiver and then go from there.

Those Vu+ 'look the biz' and a bit out of my reach, but as things develop hope to invest in top end stuff later.

At the moment the you guys on here have got me on track to a great setup.

So 8lnbs will hopefully get me a stack of channels and then its a case of saving the ones for the family.

The cards - I know some channels might be blocked and hopefully cards will help. Its will be a win/lose on them, but if it gets a couple of extra channels via a program box its a bonus.

Top stuff once again.

Vik

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
godzillafan said:
Have I missed any equipment out and is this setup ok to pickup
UK channels, French, German, Itlay and Spain etc.
If I get Asia a bonus – Is US channels possible?
Need to get for the family – UK channels – cartoons for the wee man (cartoon networks etc), footie (don’t care about language) and films
Grateful for help, advice, pointers, recommendations, anything.
Really want to start project over Easter hols
Thanks Vik

The European channels are easy catches, and there are hundreds of channels available from Italy Germany UK etc transmitting free to air (fta) so no cards required

A limited number of Asian channels are available off the European satellites. We cant get the Asian birds in Europe - they are below our eastern horizon

You cant get Yank channels in Europe - their satellites are below our western horizon.

Id recommend you leave the Sky setup totally separate so the family can watch uk telly whilst you tinker with the hobby dish / lnbs.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Analoguesat said:
The European channels are easy catches, and there are hundreds of channels available from Italy Germany UK etc transmitting free to air (fta) so no cards required

A limited number of Asian channels are available off the European satellites. We cant get the Asian birds in Europe - they are below our eastern horizon

You cant get Yank channels in Europe - their satellites are below our western horizon.

Id recommend you leave the Sky setup totally separate so the family can watch uk telly whilst you tinker with the hobby dish / lnbs.

Thanks Ang

paying 50pm for the sky and want to lower that
or they want 20pm just for '1 pack'
if i say no to them - does the sky receiver stop all together or does it then start working as a cheapo 'FTA' job?
If the latter I can leave the old sky dish there and stick a supermarket receiver on it
will that still leave me with a uk channel back up

cheers v

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
HI Guys

What sat finders do you all use to position the lnbs

I dont thinkg the 6buck needle job will do it for me.

I was thinking position first lnb in the middle and then add a lnb at a time. So I guess I need a digital better sat finder.

Whats the going rate

is it a 129 satplus?

cheers Vik

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
godzillafan said:
HI Guys

I was thinking position first lnb in the middle and then add a lnb at a time. So I guess I need a digital better sat finder.

Whats the going rate

is it a 129 satplus?

cheers Vik

The satplus is the cheapest sat meter you will find with the ability to view the channels,Signal levels & most importantly for a multi sat setup B.E.R. levels, the only thing I can think of that come's close it the Emitor Sat Mini that retails at about £160 to £170.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Thanks GH

I have read around for a few days and it seems its a toss up bewteen the two.

Problem is - if I spent too much on them - I get less a budget on the TV / Sat setup.

V
ps need to hit the auction site to see if anything comes up for a few more days before buying

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Unles you're planning on becoming a professional satellite installer I would forget about a satellite meter, especially for just setting up your own system.
As you are setting the system up in your garden, ground level, you will have plenty of opportunity to play with the LNB's, and dish, to tweak the signal, why not use the receiver's built in signal strength/quality meter, by running a coax lead to a small television and then get the best signal you can.
You will be surprised how many of us use this option, after trying cheap satellite meters, and get good results.
One tip, on setting it all up I would use one LNB at a time, prior to connecting up any Diseqc switches.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
godzillafan said:
Thanks Ang

paying 50pm for the sky and want to lower that
or they want 20pm just for '1 pack'
if i say no to them - does the sky receiver stop all together or does it then start working as a cheapo 'FTA' job?
If the latter I can leave the old sky dish there and stick a supermarket receiver on it
will that still leave me with a uk channel back up

cheers v

The box will carry on working with the fta channels - pull the card out - thats basically the channel choice you will be left with, (plus a few others like FiveUS / 5* etc)

HOWEVER, if you have Sky+, the recording facility will stop, AND any programmes you have recorded on scrambled channels will become unavailable.

mattsnapper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishes : T90, 1.2m dish , motorized 80cm , 60cm dishes & 1.8 prime focus

Receivers : French DIVA HD for french telly and AZ Premium HD+ box

Current project : rebuild the satellite farm in the garden

2011 : C Band
My Location
shrewsbury
godzillafan said:
HI Guys

Whats the going rate

is it a 129 satplus?

cheers Vik

Although I have a satlink, the best finder is a portable TV, extension cable and your box!

Give yourself plenty of time and prepare yourself for many frustrating times when setting up the T-90. I have now re-installed mine 4 times due to wind, re-positioning etc and now it is a piece of cake but its a tricky bugger to get right the first time without any experience.

godzillafan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
cheers guys for the last few updates. I have a feeling that 129 can be saved and applied to the better receiver and 2nd hand portable tv for a 5iver.

lnb's i will be doing one at a time - that i had decided before hand.

with regards to the sky thanks for the info - i check with the fatherinlaw and they did they same. no card in sky but fta coming through. so a few more quid saved i dont need to buy another fta box.

will use sky as backup.

spoke to ian today and he is pricing everything up for me.

got option for both 8 and 16 lnbs as he has them on special

16-1 box

and then 100m wf100 - that covers everything

ICECRYPT S3000 HD CCI SATELLITE RECEIVER - any reviews on this

barearcelona

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently receiveing Cable moving to Sat.
My Location
Liverpool UK
Hello,

I want to get rid of my Virginmedia V+ box and looked at various alternatives with Cable but have come to the conclusion that I'd be better off going with a Satellite installation.
I am a newbie to this but having read through your post, you are alot more knowledgable than I am regarding this, I would appreciate any help and guidance that you maybe able to offer with regards to getting a half decent setup.
I hope these questions don't sound too daft but could you help with the following please?
1. The T-90 with 8 LNB's - I will need 8 coax cables running from the dish&lnb's to the receiver in house?
2. Each LNB is pointed to a different satellite - do you need to change anything at the receiver end or does it just show a complete list of channels available from all Satellites/LNB's?
3. You mention cards to receive other channels are these readily available?
4. Would it be possible for you to send my details to Ian for his help/advice on purchasing the necessary equipment please?
From what you have mentioned and what I have seen from links etc.,I would need something like the following to get something similar to what I have at the moment with my V+ box:
Technomate TM6900 Super Combo HDD
T-90 with 8LNB's
Any help would be much appreciated. TIA.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
barearcelona said:
Hello,

I want to get rid of my Virginmedia V+ box and looked at various alternatives with Cable but have come to the conclusion that I'd be better off going with a Satellite installation.
I am a newbie to this but having read through your post, you are alot more knowledgable than I am regarding this, I would appreciate any help and guidance that you maybe able to offer with regards to getting a half decent setup.
I hope these questions don't sound too daft but could you help with the following please?
1. The T-90 with 8 LNB's - I will need 8 coax cables running from the dish&lnb's to the receiver in house?
2. Each LNB is pointed to a different satellite - do you need to change anything at the receiver end or does it just show a complete list of channels available from all Satellites/LNB's?
3. You mention cards to receive other channels are these readily available?
4. Would it be possible for you to send my details to Ian for his help/advice on purchasing the necessary equipment please?
From what you have mentioned and what I have seen from links etc.,I would need something like the following to get something similar to what I have at the moment with my V+ box:
Technomate TM6900 Super Combo HDD
T-90 with 8LNB's
Any help would be much appreciated. TIA.

1) 8 cables to a electronic switch. 1 cable from the switch to your receiver

2) the receiver needs to be configured to handle the switching, although its pretty easy to do on most boxes.

3) various cards are available from on line shops, including the forum sponsors. Costs from £100/yr for a basic mature content package to £1500/yr for a full sport pack showing uk prem football in HD

To be honest you need to state what you want to watch (must haves & nice to haves) and we will be able to chip in with some ideas.

philip

Reaction score
best thing to do is 85 dish vu +box and motor cast£310.00 all in and juast set up on thor and rest will be easy