No signal from Hotbird

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Hi wonder if anyone can help

I have recently bought a Fortec star FS44000 and a raven satellite dish (60cm) i also have my sky + satellite dish up and running (with its own dish) I have mounted the new dish slightly lower than the sky dish hoping to get Hotbird but 2 days of trying and still no luck I can pick up Astra 2D but nothing more it seems. I have a clear view of the sky fields in front of me and no obstruction for about 1 km. I am have setup dishes for a while now in other countries Ireland Italy etc.. and various satellites but this one is starting to get to me. I don't have a full swing on the dish as there it hits the wall if too west and hits the gutter if too east according to my calculation i should be more than able to get Hotbird with my setup and location. I am living in Essex Upminster advise appreciated so i can stop banging my head off the wall.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
dbolton said:
Hi wonder if anyone can help I have mounted the new dish slightly lower than the sky dish hoping to get Hotbird but 2 days of trying and still no luck....

When you say "lower" do you mean it's mounted underneath the other dish or you have it pointing lower? If you look at the $ky dish from the front, the new dish should pointing more to the left, with increased elevation. (I.E. Hotbird is higher in the sat arc than Astra2) If you can take one or two photos and post them on this thread it may help us see what the problem is.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
sats3.jpgI have posted photos below. Thanks in advance to everyone.

Attachments

• sats1.jpg
    sats1.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 44
  • sats2.jpg
    sats2.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 68

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
sonnetpete said:
When you say "lower" do you mean it's mounted underneath the other dish or you have it pointing lower? If you look at the $ky dish from the front, the new dish should pointing more to the left, with increased elevation. (I.E. Hotbird is higher in the sat arc than Astra2) If you can take one or two photos and post them on this thread it may help us see what the problem is.

sats3.jpg

Attachments

• sats1.jpg
    sats1.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 62
  • sats2.jpg
    sats2.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 58

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Ah, ok. Your house faces roughly NE I think. The dish below the $ky one is pointing roughly towards 40°E 'ish. It would need to move much further towards the wall and it's elevation increased to have any chance of catching Hotbird. There may be no room for the dish face to swing to the West before hitting the wall. You'd need to buy an offset mount of some sort and fit the dish on that to achieve the clearance.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Great thanks i had an idea that it was something like that though using a compass says East is to the left of the dish any idea where i might get an offset mount for this dish its the standard sky raven zone 2 60cm I also thought of putting it on the back wall of the house but then i have to run a lot of cable to get it to the receiver. Thanks again

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Looks to me that you have pretty much no chance of getting hotbird from there. I think it needs to go above the gutter on a pole.

dbolton

Reaction score
My Location
UK Essex (upminster)
Moved dish to the back of the house on a pole and stand cabling was already in place from an old virgin media install got the bird in less than 5 minutes, thanks everyone for all the help and encouragement.