Nokia 9800S for sale?

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently, Nokia 1800S with satscan, analogue receiver, Nokia 9800S, D box with DVB2000, 90cm solid offset dish, Panasonic tv with inbuilt freesat. Sky + HD (for the wife, mostly!)
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to this forum, so just a bit of background about me first.

I started multi satellite reception a long time ago, before the days of digital, having progressed on from long distance terrestrial tv. (Those were the days, 103 element yagi aerials on a masthead rotor, in line multiple amps and filters, old black and white TV sets with IF coils modified and/or twiddled to give different sound frequencies.....fun..!)

Anyway, I eventually put up a steerable dish using what was, at the time, a fairly advanced analogue receiver. The Nokia 1800S, with a Satscan rotor steering a 90cm offset dish. This system is still working perfectly although the number of analogue channels declines every year.
So I am looking to move into digital multi satellite reception. I got in touch with DVMedia to try to buy the Nokia 9800S that he was trying to sell a couple of months ago, on this forum, because it would control my satscan motor.

Unfortunately I was too late and missed out on it, so I am now wondering if anyone else out there has one tucked away somewhere, that they might like to sell me.

This would allow me to at least start to find FTA digital signals on other satellites and I can maybe progress from there in to something like a Linux receiver once I learn enough about how you put software in them etc. (I grew up before we even had pocket calculators and am self taught on computing, mostly with Microsoft software, so I would have to learn about Linux before I could go down that route.)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hello Crisbe and welcome to the forum. :)
Do you need Nokia 9800S specifically?
It is a good receiver but it has it's limitations like slow zapping and the need to press hard on the remote to view the channels list.
If you are open to suggestions, then you could ask also for other receivers models.
My recommendations is NOT FTA, but one which has like the 9800S an embedded CAM (Viaccess in the case of 9800S) and a CI CAM slot so as to insert a CI CAM module (Seca, Viaccess, Irdeto, Nagravision, etc.)

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently, Nokia 1800S with satscan, analogue receiver, Nokia 9800S, D box with DVB2000, 90cm solid offset dish, Panasonic tv with inbuilt freesat. Sky + HD (for the wife, mostly!)
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi HB13Dish,

I asked about a Nokia 9800S as it would operate my satscan motor, but I could just as well use one of the other Nokia digital receivers that they made before they stopped making them.
Or of course, if any of the other members know of any other receivers that will operate the satscan motor, I would be interested in any of those.
What I am keen not to have to do is replace my satscan with a diseqc motor as this would mean hiring a scaffold tower to get up to the mast that it is mounted on to give it a clear sight from east to west.
So if anyone can help I would be grateful. Of course I could always leave the 1800S controlling the dish and just put a digital receiver on the second downfeed from it, so I would value anyone's advice about what is the best receiver to go for if I go down that route.
As you guys are all far more up to date than I am with the latest specs for receivers, I would greatly appreciate any advice offered.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Are you absolutely sure that Nokia 9800S is capable of controlling the satscan?
Where does it say that in the specs?

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
To be honest I am not 100% sure that it will, as I don't have the full spec for one, but Nokia usually put satscan in as a menu setting option on their receiver positioners as satscan was their system that they designed. It is basically a guess on my part that it will. However, I have been known to be wrong, so I could well be up a gumtree on this. It may well be that I am actually better to buy a decent (versatile) digital receiver straight off, so I need advice as to what would be a good point to start at.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I understand your need to have a good line of sight east to west, but would you be able to put a new dish and motor in another location than the mast? How high is the mast?
You may have to compromise on some of the satellites.
Some photos would be very helpful.:)

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Unfortunately, my house faces S.S.East, which means that the back garden, which is the only place I could put a dish, is behind the house and a dish would have to go at the far end of the garden to get any sort of line of sight over the roof to a satellite. Even then the line of sight would be restricted to about 25E to 45E.
There are also trees at the rear end of my garden which rules out putting anything above height of the roof of the shed (about 8ft max). I have a fairly small back garden, which is why I mounted the dish on a mast at the rear of, and fixed to, the house.
We have an open plan front garden, its a terraced house, so putting anything in the front garden is out of the question and putting a big steerable dish on the front wouldn't be practicable because there is insufficient wall space (big front windows).
The dish as it is gives me nearly 180 degrees of site to the clarke belt so I am reluctant to lose that. The easy way has got to be just to drive the dish with the 1800 and use a digital receiver off the second feed.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
and wolcome on board too!:)
if you want controll the satscan motor,you can also use the nokia 8001 or the d2mac modell nokia 8003
the satscan,use the protokoll called vseqec,was made by nokia,and not compatible with the current diseq!

you can,also move the motor,with dvb 2000,after change,the settings in the menu!

Nokia 9800 has a very good sharp picture quality,but like hb 13 already told,very slow zapping,espasaly then,when channel list is full,i have mm 9800 here,but i must search the remote controll!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Threw all my Nokia machines at the end of last year. One person on here expressed an interest (free but pay for the postage) , and then couldn't be bothered to reply to any further PMs

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies, espcially the info from Turok. The DVB 2000 is a make I am not familiar with, is it still available?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Crisbe said:
The DVB 2000 is a make I am not familiar with, is it still available?

_http://www.no-access.de/en/

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Crisbe said:
Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies, espcially the info from Turok. The DVB 2000 is a make I am not familiar with, is it still available?

DVB 2000 was a software alternative to the original Nokia models 9200S and 9600S, but ASFIK not for Nokia 9800S.
I regretted installing it, as it has a terrible user interface.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Thanks Channel Hopper, it looks like it is a software upgrade for the Mediamaster boxes. Presumably it wouldn't work with something like a dreambox or a TechnoMate would it?

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Thanks HB13, you must have been typing that in at the same time I was typing my reply to channel hopper. I am starting to regret putting my dish about 8mtrs off the ground . At the time it was the best way, and probably still is, that I could get a clear view of a good slice of the sky. The Satscan system was probably ahead of its time when it first came out as most other receivers at that time used seperate control cables for positioning. I guess like most things nobody wanted to copy someone else's idea (or pay them royalties for using it) and the diseqc system became the standard. I am wondering if any of the Linux receivers could be programmed to operate the satscan rotor. Perhaps doctor dish might know.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
if you still need Mediamaste 9800 or 9600, i have found now the remote!
please enable pm massage for this user,if you want the 9800 Mediamster ,you can contact me,after your pm massage system is activated!

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Turok,
I am not sure how to enable pm message, as I am still very new to this forum. My email is Deleted if you want to contact me direct.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
OOps sorry, didn't mean to contravene any rules. I will try to find out how to send a private message and will contact you that way Turok. Thanks to HB13 for spotting my mistake and fixing it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
PM is now enabled.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
Hi Guys, Rolfw has kindly enabled private messaging for me, but how to I get to post a private message to another member. Sorry to sound so stupid but I looked in what I thought were the obvious places to compose and send messages but I couldn't find one which said "send private message to" or anything like that.

Sorry guys, only self taught on computing so not terribly good at it.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
It's okay guys, I just found it. I was looking in the wrong place.