Help Required Novice Freesat installation.

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat in UK and apartment with shared access to UK Freesat in France.
My Location
South Wales & French Alps
I've finally taken the plunge; scrapped our old CRT TV and bought a modern one with built-in Freesat, a dish, LNB, cable etc. etc..

I've put up the dish, aligned it by compass, local landmarks etc. Then fine tuned with a simple alignment meter.

Confusingly (to me anyway) the TV has two satellite options under Setting - Broadcasting - Auto Tuning: Neither of which give me access to , "Normal", Freesat Channels (BBC, ITV etc.).

If I choose, "Satellite", and, "Astra 28.2E", a quick scan gives around 500 channels but mostly in German or Austrian with no sign of the normal Freesat channels. Reception quality is good which implies to me (possibly wrongly) that the dish is well aligned and cabling is sound.

If (again, under Setting - Broadcasting - Auto Tuning) I choose, "Freesat", I eventually see, "Satellite signal not found".

I've done loads of other tests involving a stand-alone Freesat receiver connected to a different TV, connecting to different LNB terminals etc.. I won't clutter this first post with all the detail but all efforts result in no Freesat reception.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation!

Chris

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
as topper said you are probably pointing at 19.2e not astra 2 but if you are on the right satellite have you got the right dish size for your location?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
as topper said you are probably pointing at 19.2e not astra 2 but if you are on the right satellite have you got the right dish size for your location?

Yes well spotted John I had not noticed ChrisThomas was in the French Alps, dish size will be important

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Also, I think it won't be a Freesat tuner in the TV but an FTA (free to air) tuner. Freesat uses the FTA channels but in addition it supplies a seven day EPG (electronic programme guide) and will put all the Freesat channels in a predetermined order. It will also add in the part-time channels (BBC4, CBeebies, CBBC, etc) even if they're not transmitting at that particular time.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
If the OP's only connection to a satellite dish is via a wall socket then it's highly unlikely that there will be an option for Astra 2 at 28E. "Normal" Astra in France is Astra 1 at 19E.

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
Also, I think it won't be a Freesat tuner in the TV but an FTA (free to air) tuner. Freesat uses the FTA channels but in addition it supplies a seven day EPG (electronic programme guide) and will put all the Freesat channels in a predetermined order. It will also add in the part-time channels (BBC4, CBeebies, CBBC, etc) even if they're not transmitting at that particular time.
i think the op did mention that it has freesat in the options of the tv

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
If the OP's only connection to a satellite dish is via a wall socket then it's highly unlikely that there will be an option for Astra 2 at 28E. "Normal" Astra in France is Astra 1 at 19E.
O/P did post he has installed a separate dish

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for the quick replies.

In fact I'm in the UK now (Cardiff). The dish is 70cm and gives excellent reception of all those the German / Austrian channels. And Samsung claim the TV has a Freesat tuner built in. Perhaps PaulR's comments explain why there's a, "Satellite", option and an alternative, "Freesat", option during the Autotune process though.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
@ChrisThomas You've done the hard job of finding A satellite. Many don't even get that far - it's a feat to find a dot in the vast sky 36000 km away.

Anyway, all you need to do is slightly lower the dish elevation and move it eastwards by 9 degrees (in other words, move it slightly to the right when standing in front of the dish!). You will probably hit 23.5E on your way and maybe even 26E, but 28E will be the next one. Just watch for the signal on your meter - 28E is pretty strong (though whether you'll get UK Freesat channels is another question as it's on a different beam on the same satellite needing a larger dish than "Sky" ones).

Edit: In Cardiff, you'll be more than fine with a 70cm dish!

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
More work on fine alignment required by the sound of it. I'll report back. Thanks again to all.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
i think the op did mention that it has freesat in the options of the tv
It could have been an error as most people think that FTA and Freesat are the same, however...
Samsung claim the TV has a Freesat tuner built in. Perhaps PaulR's comments explain why there's a, "Satellite", option and an alternative, "Freesat", option during the Autotune process though.
Yes, the Freesat tune will get you everything in the right order and with a seven day EPG. The "Satellite" option will just give a straightforward FTA tune.

Providing the dish is pointing to the right satellite. You're nearly there Chris!

ChrisThomas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Captain Jack was exactly correct. A very small change anticlockwise and a more significant reduction in elevation has sorted it.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Now I must change my profile(?) before I need to ask any more questions to avoid misleading people!

Chris

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Glad you are sorted Chris :-applause

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well done Chris.:)

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
nice work enjoy freesat!