port forwarding the router to the Dreambox

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I am having difficulties with conneting to the Dreambox

The setup is as such: I got a DSL Router (FRITZ!Box SL) connected to the internet. The DSL router is connected to a wireless router (D-Link 524) by LAN. The Dreambox and the other computers in the network are all connected to the wireless router.

1) THe problem is I am not sure about the port forwarding. First problem, the DSL router gives you three optons for port forwarding, see screenshot. What shall I put in there various boxes?? I want to port forward 12000
2) If I port forward, does the wireless router also needs to be port forwarding the same?

Thanks, TG

Attachments

• port-forwarding.jpg
    port-forwarding.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 926

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
T_G said:
see screenshot.

Looks like the screenshot died of his wounds he is no longer around;):cool:

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
I don't know what you are talking about :)

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Dont have any problems here,with my us robotnics router,to conect dreamboxes!
what protocoll or cam do you use.for conecting to your dreambox?
ccam/gbox etc?
why,you dont conect,your db direkt,to your dsl modem router?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I use cccam
I can't connect the dreambox directly to the DSL because I need to conect it to the network so the other computers can use the internet connection.
I am pretty sure it will work, it is only the settings somewhere that need to be looked at....

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You can find how to configure port forwarding for your router at portforward.com

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
T_G said:
2) If I port forward, does the wireless router also needs to be port forwarding the same?
Normally no, but it depends on how the router is setup.

If its on the same network as the dreambox + dsl modem, there should be no need to forward any ports. I have a similar setup with a Linksys WRT54G. I didn't need to setup forwarding on the Linksys which is between the DSL modem and the Dreambox.

I cant be sure about your modem, but I would try something like whats in the attached image.
_http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/FRITZ/SL-WLAN3030/default.htm

I think CCcam uses a TCP connection, but I wanst sure when setting up, so I allowed both.

If you want someone from the outside world to test the connection to inside your LAN, let me know. You can just forward port 80 to your dreambox as a test. :)

Attachments

• port-forwarding.jpg
    port-forwarding.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 375

vladimirx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
uk
just a basic explanation of port forwarding:

the outside world sees your network as a single ip address, the address of the router.

on the other side of the router is your network where your computers can see each other and directly address/connect to each other to any port they wish.

when an outside comp needs to connect to a specific computer in your network and to a specific port, that's when you need to configure port forwarding.

say the routers external IP is 111.111.111.111 and your target comps network ip is 192.168.1.10. if an outside computer wants to telnet to your traget comp (and telnet default port is 23) then in your routers port forwarding you can set up:
port:23
forwarding address:192.168.1.10
target port:23

you can just as well do
port:any number (e.g. 777)
forwarding address:192.168.1.10
target port:23

in which case the outside world would have to telnet to your target comp by explicitly naming the "777" port, eg "c:>\telnet 111.111.111.111 777"

hope this helps

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi guys
Tried everything. The computer does not port forwarding, I tried it through the web browser, and also I can see it from my friends cccam info, I am connected to him but he can't connect to me.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
You might need to open that port on your firewall.

I haven't figured out why, but sometimes I have to open a port in the firewall as well as forward it to a LAN IP address. Traffic is sometimes not allowed through unless I do both.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
well, it seems I got it going. Done the port forwarding, but strangely to a different ip address than the dreambox. My dreambox has an ip 192.168.0.5, but the port forwarding is 192.168.178.20 . not sure why, maybe this is the wireless router IP???
Also what seemed to do the trick, I found a setting called DMZ on the wireless router, and when I put the ip of the dreambox (the correct one) it did work. Strange....

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
DMZ= DeMilitarized Zone,
Whatever is in the DMZ is left outside the security of your DSL modem / router. Its completely exposed to the rest of the internet.

Its leaves the dreambox vulnerable to attack. Check it out, you should be able to telnet, ftp etc to the dreambox from the outside world when its in the DMZ

Not sure what the heck is going on with your IP addresses. It wouldn't be the IP address of your wireless router because because the router would need to be on the same network (192.168.0.0) as everything else in order to work.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
compufunk said:
DMZ= DeMilitarized Zone,
Whatever is in the DMZ is left outside the security of your DSL modem / router. Its completely exposed to the rest of the internet.

Its leaves the dreambox vulnerable to attack. Check it out, you should be able to telnet, ftp etc to the dreambox from the outside world when its in the DMZ

Not sure what the heck is going on with your IP addresses. It wouldn't be the IP address of your wireless router because because the router would need to be on the same network (192.168.0.0) as everything else in order to work.

Thanks
I found a way to turn the dmz off and still get the port forwarding: On the DSL router I port forward the 12000 and 16001 to the 192.168.178.20 (which must be the IP of the WIFI router). Then on the WIFI router I port forward the 12000 and 16001 to the Dreambox IP. See screenshots.

If I turn off the port forwarding in either box it does not work anymore.

Attachments

• wifi-router-port-forwarding.jpg
    wifi-router-port-forwarding.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 481
  • DSL-roter-forwarding.jpg
    DSL-roter-forwarding.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 442

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
It seems you have two separate networks on the go (192.168.178.0 + 192.168.0.0) , and the wireless router is acting as a bridge between the networks,

There is nothing wrong with that, But it would probably be more simple if you set the wireless router as an AP (access point).

That way everything will be on the same network. That of your DSL modem. This would avoid having to forward any ports on the wireless router. Also if something goes wrong with connection(s), then you will only have one device to trouble shoot.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi
Yes, it might be that. To be honest, I haven't got a clue about networks, and it is almost a miracle that I managed to set up the computers, dreambox, routers and all in such a way that they all work together. I reckon it is a combination of pure idiot luck and hours of stubborn trying that made it work :p

I am waiting now for the new DSL WIFI thing to arrive, then hopefully it will all be easier.

Thanks for your comments, I am sure a little bit wiser now about the networking side :)

plus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nilesat 7w
My Location
ksa
I have speedtouch Thomson wireless multi user Adsl2+gateway router whcih one i bought newly but don't know how to configure port forwarding and dreambox IP.
I have dreambox500s, any advise will be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try portforward.com - its got loads of info on it