Questions about setting up a motorised system?

chucklebezza

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
39east and 19e when I want to see F1, using a tm1500ci
My Location
surrey
This may seem like a really dumb question but how do you get the power to the motor to enable it to move the dish. Do you need a separate power supply?

Also, I have an 80 cm dish, is it vital to use T and K mounts or will a standard single arm be enough?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
chucklebezza said:
This may seem like a really dumb question but how do you get the power to the motor to enable it to move the dish. Do you need a separate power supply?

Also, I have an 80 cm dish, is it vital to use T and K mounts or will a standard single arm be enough?

The power for a bog standard H-H motor is carried along the coax feed: No extra cabling required.

ie Instead of Receiver direct to LNB, the coax goes from Receiver to Motor and then a short bit of coax from Motor to LNB.

If your house wall is within thirty degrees or so of being South facing, you can get away with 12" T&K rather than big ugly 18" or 24".

I wouldn't use anything less substantial.

chucklebezza

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
39east and 19e when I want to see F1, using a tm1500ci
My Location
surrey

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
An L bracket or similar simply doesn't have the rigidity needed for a motorised system - any flexing under load whether caused my motor impulse or wind will detract from reliable arc tracking.