RC2000 dual axis antenna controller

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Anyone used/ing one please +/- comments welcome :)

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
They come with an option to have different circuit boards installed, ie Az over El or El over Az. This defines the priority switching for dual axis antenna control when tracking inclined orbit satellites. They are not cheap unless you get a 2nd user one from eBay or similar, even then you could be looking at $600 or more, $2000 or more for a brand new one depending on which circuit boards are factory fitted.

They keep an auto lock on inclined orbit satellites via algorithms loaded into the unit, for inclined orbit tracking you need the RC2000C model not the plain RC2000 model. They can store up to 30 satellites in memory of which five can be tracked automatically for inclined orbit. You need to keep the software regularly updated to cope with fluctuations re inclined orbit satellites, possibly by regular uploading of the two line element sets that define satellite orbits. The two line element sets can be downloaded from Celestrack, you need the geotrack two line element set for geostationary satellites.

Rgds

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Many thanks MB, I must have read things wrong on the pdf file I thought this was a software upgrade :-doh

I am fairly sure that when purchased new the customer specifies the configuration of the RC2000C unit and it is then shipped with that configuration. It is the same as the Tandberg / Ericsson receivers, ie, the customer specifies the configuration and that defines which boards are fitted and which license options are enabled.

If it is hobbyist tracking of inclined orbit satellites then the far cheaper option is installation of an optical actuator connected to a positioner for elevation control. The lock on the satellite is managed by manual "jogging" of the dish using the elevation positioner. The advantage of the RC2000C is that the lock on the satellite is automated so no manual user input required.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Many thanks again, would manual tracking still be possible if I was to get a non C model RC2000 dual axis antenna controller MB please ?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Many thanks again, would manual tracking still be possible if I was to get a non C model RC2000 dual axis antenna controller MB please ?

Check out this link, you can see the different options available from those of offer on eBay. I have never used a plain RC2000 so I would not wish to guess on its functionality

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...RC2000&_nkw=Research+Concepts+RC2000&_sacat=0

If manual tracking is acceptable to you then why not just get an optical jack and positioner and save some money.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks again, I have just bought one second hand, but I am unsure what model I have bought until it arrives I will take some pictures when it eventually gets here.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Well it looks a nice bit of kit, I have the pdf file downloaded and just found this on setting limits, very important:)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Looks like a nice well built bit of kit ...but does it do more than 2 daisy chained Vboxes ?
If it has diseqc control ...which I doubt ...then I would be interested.
But then again it might have signal level autofocus ..which in theory could automatically track an inclined bird..
That would be very useful ..
What I want is a unit which has all the above ...but it don't exist.
:(
rgds
VS

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Looks like a nice well built bit of kit ...but does it do more than 2 daisy chained Vboxes ?
If it has diseqc control ...which I doubt ...then I would be interested.
But then again it might have signal level autofocus ..which in theory could automatically track an inclined bird..
That would be very useful ..
What I want is a unit which has all the above ...but it don't exist.
:(
rgds
VS
I am unsure atm to what it can and cant do a bit of information on the item and link to the rest of what it can do,

The following features are common to both the RC2000A and RC2000C ...
An intuitive user interface based on a 2 by 40 liquid crystal display with a 16 key keypad.
Dual Speed, Solid State Adapti-DriveTM can deliver 8 amps (at 30 volts DC) to the antenna actuator. The drive features electronic over current protection and dynamic braking. An application note is available which describes a method to interface with motors that operate at different voltages - see the Application Information section.
Precise slow speed control is implemented by a software servo based system that measures the rate at which position pulses are accumulated by the controller and adjusts the voltage applied to the drive to maintain a constant rate of movement.
Interfaces with pulse based position sensors - reed switch, Hall effect, or optical.
Servo based polarization control. An optional daughter board, designated RC2KPOL, can interface with a 5 to 24 volt DC powered rotating feed equipped with a potentiometer for position feedback.
Serial communications via an RS-422 port. The RC2000 uses the industry standard SA Bus protocol.
Rack Mounting (2 rack units high), 115/230 VAC Switch Selectable Power Input
Non-Volatile Memory retains satellite position data. The RC2000A can store location data for 50 geostationary satellites. The RC2000C stores location data for 35 satellites, 5 of which may be inclined.

More
http://www.researchconcepts.com/prod01.htm

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I know for sure the RC2000C can cope with automatic inclined orbit tracking, I am not sure what automated inclined orbit functionality is in the RC2000A unit, if any.

It could be that you can program a known Az/EL for a satellite and the RC2000A will got to that setting and adjust the actuators accordingly, I do not think it then keeps an auto lock on an inclined orbit satellite via "auto jog" with the actuators.

The model you bought off eBay for £99 looks to be quite an old model as the front fascia is not current, be interesting to see what it does.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
If it just lets me follow them manually I will be happy, anything else will be a bonus to me £114 delivered its a good price for what it is.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If it just lets me follow them manually I will be happy, anything else will be a bonus to me £114 delivered its a good price for what it is.

Martin,

For sure, at £114 delivered its a real bargain, they cost a lot more normally and you were lucky to find a UK seller. At the very least it will be a "one box" solution to drive two actuators which is a bonus. Please keep the forum posted on your findings.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Many thanks MB, I am sure they will be more posts to come :D, I have been after one for a few years and like you say uk sellers are hard to come by, I missed his first one but managed to get this one,

I now need two C band lnb two actuators finish mount concrete the pole in:)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
The box arrived today, but I was out at work, I will pick it up tomorrow, I am just wondering how I will know what model it is check what software is on it I guess ?.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I know for sure the RC2000C can cope with automatic inclined orbit tracking,

What a result MB :), it is the C model :), its like brand new and still has the plastic over most of the front of it.
DSCN6287.JPG DSCN6288.JPG

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
More pictures of the unit, its 10yrs old, I have now removed the plastic from the front, looks like I have lots of reading to do.
DSCN6290.JPG DSCN6291.JPG DSCN6292.JPG DSCN6293.JPG DSCN6295.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You lucky sod... Where did you find it?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Hmm I wonder if this would control my 1224 motor?

As I've had enough of rubbish quality vboxes