dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Hi folks. I decided to set up my record player but tried to connect it to me 5 speaker system but it is too new
for record player so I built me a riaa preamplifier and connected it to aux but the sound is not clear.
Kind of "foggy" if You understand :p

So,why can it just work ? Perhaps I will have to dig up:-doh a tube amplifier to feel the old music again ?

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Do you have a moving coil or moving magnet pickup? If mc you might need an additional amp or transformator prior to the riaa stage.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Woofers and tweeters grand-dad.

The cartridge you have in the deck makes a difference, you need to match the impedance to the device connected to it.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Cartridge alignment, worn stylus, poor-quality cartridge & stylus, worn records, dirty records, broken wires in the tonearm, could be anything really... :)

And don't bother with tube amps, they're for audiophools who think oxygen gets inside of copper and insist all records should sound "warm and muffled"... :)

My setup is pretty simple, Pioneer PL-400 deck with an Audio Technica AT-95 cartridge going into a Cambridge Audio 540p preamp followed by my home-made line attenuator (stops the output overloading my line-in ports on my computers), then after that it can go into anything and sound great... :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
And don't forget. your hearing frequency range changes and often deteriorates with age as I have recently found out. Listening to a CD in the car I asked my wife why the Beatles sounded so crap, only to discover that I actually have level 2 hearing loss in one ear and have a total hearing loss at one particular frequency. The point I am trying to make is do not discount your own equipment as the source of the problem!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Even though I'm only 29 and don't listen to loud things a lot, one side of my hearing is a bit weaker than the other, has been for some time too, though it was a PITA when setting up my turntable not long after I got my preamp as I thought I had an issue with the cartridge or preamp having a weak output on the right, but when I flipped my headphones round, it was still quieter on the right, dunno why it was suddenly so apparent with my turntable, but, there you go... :lol:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Well, I've been hard of hearing since birth, especially at higher frequencies. I tend to turn those ones up on equalizers and then people ask me why it sounds so 'bright'...

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Thank´s, many good ideas. Must look into the impedance problem, when I play a CD all is OK.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Took all ideas to my heart :D and invested into a new fresh needle. Also got me an amplifier (retro) and now all system is running.

Nice to play all old vinyls again. Have a few special records, never found in the CD format.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I bought myself a third turntable (Pioneer PL-720, sold as spare parts) last week (still awaiting it's arrival), vinyl gets to you, makes you want more... o_O