Rover STC replacement battery pack?

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hi, devastated. Yesterday was aligning a friends dish with my main Rover STC, all started ok, signal was there but poor. Was peaking the dish when I lost signal, so thought I had just gone too far, but however hard I tried I couldn´t get a signal. Brought up my good dish, went to align it and meter had lost all its data and would only test DVBT.

Went home, reflashed firmware and data sets. STC booted up great and looked like it was back to normal. I tested it on my big dish, but signals were right down and missing on the weak 2D transponders (as had been the case with my faulty STC). Being the born optimist I hoped a full charge would make all ok. Left it on charge all last night, now the battery is dead, I plug in the charger and the charging light doesn´t come on!

I am hoping against my luck and that buying a new battery will make all ok again. But where can I get an affordable compatible replacement?

mark4fs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
loads of stuff
My Location
tyne and wear uk
cellpack solutions will be able to make you a new pack took mine in and got new cells and worked a treat

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
2mb sometimes works broadband but most of the time is faulty
1.2metre dish with technomate 6800 sitting in shed will go up a some point
My Location
wirral
got my old one serviced by a rover guy.

But im sure you can get them made up i recall someone telling me a model shop (remote control car type model shop) should be able to do one

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hi mark4fs and jonwisbey,

Thanks for your replies, just noticed them. Amazingly I was going to take the unit back to the UK to get it repaired, thought i would try and charge it in case security wanted to check it, and the thing worked perfectly and has done so since. Very strange!

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Ok sorry to revive old thread but I was checking my meters (rarely used) and the batteries really aren´t holding a charge (even after a few cycles).

I take it Rover STC batteries are NiMH. The proper replacement packs are 65 UKP. I can get packs for remote control cars that have the same spec for 13 UKP or less. All I need to do is solder on the rover plug so it fits the pcb socket. Any reason why this might not be a good idea (nice to save 100 UKP on two batteries!)?

Also there is another cable (white) attached to the battery pack, any idea what that does?

Want to be ready for any re-alignment for 2E!

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Just to update, I have bought one battery pack off the auction site. About 10 UKP. I have cut off the supplied plug, soldered on the plug from the old STC battery pack, connected the white cables to the battery pack and finally connected both plugs to the STC. All fires up ok. I will leave it to run down for a while, then put it on charge over night. I have a couple of these STCs so I will test to see they both give similar readings (one has new original battery pack) and see which unit lasts longer (the cheap one is rated slightly higher at 2600MAH (2500MAH). Huge cost savings if it works.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
It maybe worth while using the Battery Condition function in the advanced menu as these meters according to rover should be charged everynight even with little use.

I have always charged mine of an evening and every blue moon used the battery condition function and it pretty much stays the same with just a little loss here and there

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Used STC with cheapo battery pack today. Lasted a good two hours, not bad for a first charge!

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Well had both units with fully charged batteries (original STC pack has had three charges now, new cheap pack 2 charges), turned on for a quick test - not connected to lNB. Unit with STC battey pack has run out of juice, the unit with the cheap pack is showing 30% charge.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Going to order a larger 7.2v 5000MAH for my S2. Ideal for somene who takes as long I do to be happy with a dish alignment.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Got the pack now.

Originally thought I may have to fit externally, but it turns out with a bit of maneuvering its possible to fit this large battery pack in the S-2. All working great. Will post some picks. (If anyone else tries a non official battery, its at your own risk).