Should i buy a dreambox 500s?

Marco Coppola

Reaction score
My Location
UK
Hi,

I just want to make sure i am doing the right choice.

I have familiarized myself with installing image and cccambut don't know if that is enough for me to get sky italia.

also do i need to actually know someone with sky italia subscription to set up a card share or there is some place where people offer it?

and do i need some sort of card?

is this a safe place to buy? (dvbseller.com)
Thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You need a subscription to receive Sky Italia channels, you will not open them just by loading software on a dreambox.
Dreambox 500s models are no longer made so what you are buying will be a clone, and can be problematic, it seems that most are fine but if you read the forum other owners of 500s clones have experienced problems.
We do not recommend using card share servers, nor do we discuss it on the forum, we only discuss the theory of card sharing, card share servers can disappear overnight, along with any money you've paid them.
Hopefully fellow owners of dreamboxes can provide you with more information.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Have a look at theTechnomate TM500 or 600 if you want a receiver on a budget.

Better than the Dreambox 500, but not as good as the Dreambox 600 :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Marco Coppola said:
Hi,

I just want to make sure i am doing the right choice.

I have familiarized myself with installing image and cccambut don't know if that is enough for me to get sky italia.

also do i need to actually know someone with sky italia subscription to set up a card share or there is some place where people offer it?

and do i need some sort of card?

is this a safe place to buy? (dvbseller.com)
Thanks

If you buy one and take it out of the box, spend a few hours finding out how the hell it all works, configure cccam & then tune to a Sky Italia channel you will have.....

a black screen :-rofl2

You need a subscription *somewhere* - Linux boxes are NOT a magic solution to get you all the channels for free or we would all be doing it.

So either budget for a subscription (£1000/year if you have to buyfrom a uk based reseller!) or a card share from somewhere.

If you buy into a commercial card share - or buy a box with the c/s built in you are on your own - we will not help with any problems in an way shape or form. And dont be surprised if the provider runs off with your money - many of them are run by criminal gangs.

Oh and modern DB500's are cheaply made piles of electronic scrap - if you look back across the forum no-end of folk have problems with them.

Marco Coppola

Reaction score
My Location
UK
If i have a friend wlling to share his sky subscription do i still need a linux satellite receiver, i am in the uk and he is in italy?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes.....

He has to have a Linux box as well - and know what hes doing as its easy to fritz the card.

Marco Coppola

Reaction score
My Location
UK
it seems kind of hard then to get sky for free, maybe leave it for a bit and see if I can find someone i can talk face to face a bout these things. Thanks for everything

just two more things, I have a sky dish on the outside of the house that was installed by previous owners( well i think it's a sky dish) and it be used for anything?

also if I ask my mom to get my a sky subscription in italy, when i bring the box back to the uk all i need to do is to plug my existing satellite cable into the sky box?

Thnaks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can use a Sky UK dish for Sky or Freesat, or connect a generic free to air box to it.

Each has its advantages & disadvantages.

You cant connect a Sky Italia box to a Sky UK dish - they point at different satellites. You would need the dish realigned.

BTW - You would need your own subscription NOT a family multiroom sub!

Depending on exactly which channels you want a Tivusat box & card may be more suitable.

Marco Coppola

Reaction score
My Location
UK
Analoguesat said:
You cant connect a Sky Italia box to a Sky UK dish - they point at different satellites. You would need the dish realigned.

but if i connect the italia sky box to my satellite dish pointed at 13e will it work? or i need to call for a new dish? thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ye4s that'll work fine - your previous post wasnt clear on that point :)

A nonymous

Reaction score
Its dependent on where in the UK you live. You will get away with a Zone 1 Sky dish from probably the south of England upto into the Midlands where the signal starts to become marginal. It will work but you have no margin for rain fade.

Much further north you will definately need a 60cm Zone 2 Sky Dish.

Nano

Beaten again by AS :-lmao