Signal distribution over home network?

vienna123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Always bet on black.
My Location
Vienna, Austra
Hi Everyone,
I am moving into a new house next week. We will use an internet-based IPTV system and the bandwidth in the neighbourhood will only support a single IPTV receiver. The main TV viewing will be done in the basement but I would also like to watch TV on the ground floor. The house has a fully cabled IP-based network with outlets in every room. Ideally, I want to take the signal from the IPTV receiver and split it so that one side goes directly into an old tv (SCART, AV inlets only) and the other side goes over the network to a newer TV (HDMI, AV inlets). I realize that both sets will only be able to watch the same channel, that's ok. I could probably do this with an AV sender but I don't know if the wireless will penetrate the floor, and that solution seems a little dated. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind putting a few Euros into this but it's not worth breaking the bank over. I anxiously await your ideas!

Many thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi, sorry missed this post.

It is quite easy to relay audio and composite video over cat5 or cat6 cable on a point to point basis, but if you want access in several rooms, you will need a matrix of some sort.

A

archive10

I am running a very similar setup at my house. The receiver is placed in one room, and can be hooked up to a TV via the SCART.

I send the HDMI signal via an HDMI extender over dual cat-6 (Ethernet capable) wires to the TV, where the HDMI receiver is placed. You can have HDMI extenders that have an IR return, but these tende to be 3-4 times the price of the one I ended up buying. I ended up buying a wireless IR extender - while it looks a bit odd compared to the TV, it works fine, even through a wall or two. But mind you, my house is not concrete, if yours is your mileage may vary.

You can also send things via IP, but this is more expensive as the IP extenders usually is an encoder-decoder pair, and this just complicates things and cost. (You don't really need this for your setup).

Hopes this helps. Let me know if you want more details.