Sky Digital, What is your opinion?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like a sweet deal, I think that almost anyone would subscribe given those terms. :)

xanadu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I could have had the full Sky world package for £21/month for 12 months, but I did not want to have extra channels that I will probably not watch, as I have my Dreambox for real satellite TV :)

xanadu

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Had my Sky installed today.

Installer had a poor attitude to his work, and no enthusiasm whatsoever.
When he left I had to collect the rubbish he had thrown in the street from the back of his van.

He obviously wanted to do the least possible amount of work, but I managed to persuade him where to mount the dish and drill hole through wall etc.

So far I am happy with the install. I have an Amstrad DRX500 which is a small and slim receiver, and is the latest model of digibox.

I checked the signal strength of the Sky dish on my Dreambox, and found it to be good compared to my 1m Channel Master dish.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Sky installers are working against the clock or to a price, so either way, they are not going to do a Rolls Royce job.

If it works, they've waterproofed the LNB connection and clipped the cables, then you have what you need. :)

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
Likvid said:
It's like your Government is regulating ordinary peoples life with what they are allowed to watch and hear, it's crazy in 2005, i don't know any other country that have those regulations these days.

That's coz the uk is a nanny state - we have to be protected from our vices. Apparently we're not intelligent enough to be able to decide how we want to live our lives ourselves so new labour does it for us. Makes me sick :(

dago

Reaction score
i recently cancelled my subs to sky, as i only had it for the football, and i can
currently view it for nothing on hispasat or hot bird, and once they cange the
inscription system, as they will do sooner or later; then i will buy an art card
much cheaper than sky, and none of the irratating phone calls.

regards

David0

Reaction score
Website
www.hostingphpbb.com
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD + Pace V2 FTA + Comag SL 55 85 CM dish.

Acer Aspire 1691
Intel Centrino M730 Processor 1.6 GHz 533MHz 2MB L2 cache
ATI X700 64 MB PCIE 512 MB DDR+2
80 GB HDD
15.4 IN
DVD RW DL
My Location
Clacton On Sea Essex
I can not get Cable so I have to have it. Free view is no that good round here to with some ITV and Channel 4 Channels missing.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Whats happened to davido's posts? The thread shows he has posted but there's nothing there.

rato

International Administrator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
Due to the fact of living in Portugal, I would like to receive Sky but the channels I would like to get are technically difficult here (North Beam). I think that Sky's package is pretty much complete, compaired to the one here in Portugal which is expensive, badly broadcasted (i.e. highly compressed), no alternitive language in movies (D+ has original and Spanish) not to mention no Dolby Digital on PPV movies and are transmitted with even more compression (for 3 Euros, get a rental DVD!), The games that you see on Sky Sports are here very badly transmitted through SportTv (you can't even tell if Jose Mourinho had a shave on that day!). Usually the saying is what-you-pay-is-what-you-get cannot be applied here in Portugal. I have viewed the Sky package in the Algarve and it seems o.k. on some channels and a few others are compressed. But in the long run I would still option for it if I could.

David0

Reaction score
Website
www.hostingphpbb.com
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD + Pace V2 FTA + Comag SL 55 85 CM dish.

Acer Aspire 1691
Intel Centrino M730 Processor 1.6 GHz 533MHz 2MB L2 cache
ATI X700 64 MB PCIE 512 MB DDR+2
80 GB HDD
15.4 IN
DVD RW DL
My Location
Clacton On Sea Essex
It says Ive done 13 post in the panel at the left if thats what your talking about?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
David0 said:
It says Ive done 13 post in the panel at the left if thats what your talking about?
No mate,it says you have posted recently but you havent.For example,it shows you have posted 15 hours ago(as i am watching it now)but when i go to the thread,yours is the last post from 4 days ago(the post shown above me now).

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
It's a poll thing Zorba.

The last person to post gets marked with a new posting everytime somebody polls a new vote.

If nobody answers this then the next vote will show that I've posted at the same time as the person voted.

L.:)

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Well I came on about 10 minutes ago and the thread says the last person to post was you,7 hours ago,so I voted in the poll and when I went back to the thread it said you were the last to post 1 minute ago.So I went to the thread again and it only showed your post of 7 hours ago.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Yep that's it .
And the next person who votes without leaving a comment will stamp the last post (mine again now) with the time that they voted (in the forum but not in the thread)

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Lancelot said:
Yep that's it .
And the next person who votes without leaving a comment will stamp the last post (mine again now) with the time that they voted (in the forum but not in the thread)

I got it now,i think.;)

emben

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not yet set up my sat system
My Location
Cheshire, England
well i think its ok value for me. I get the "family pack" or whatever its called now for £15 a month for a year. Thats my entertainment sorted and would miss a few channels if I cancelled (although 90% of channels are crap).
I am in the middle of setting up a motorised dish for the football/sport as £40+ a month is a rip off.

It would be good if there was a bit of competiton to sky but it looks like that we never happen. :(

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
I think if EVERYONE cancelled the full package would be £9.99 a month ;), sky viewers are the dumbest on the planet (I'm one of 'em!).... they pay subscription TV to watch adverts... and I mean ADVERTS!!!, but then again I pay for a TV license and that's pony too!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
stealthpirate said:
but then again I pay for a TV license and that's pony too!
all I can add to that is that you get more than you think for pony. I have no regrets about paying my license fee

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
toppervte33h said:
all I can add to that is that you get more than you think for pony. I have no regrets about paying my license fee

That's the trouble!, half the stuff the beeb knocks out, no one see's......
My point being that it's an uness' cost, only a few months ago there was a move to dump the fee!.... same thing with that!, if everyone stopped paying it, it would disappear..... probably ;)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
My point is that the license fee does also pay for new productions dramas etc
Don't seem to see that sort of investement when it comes to Sky they seem to just buy in some more American programs and whilst some of it is good a lot of it is moronic