STOP PRESS; five new planets discovered

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Come on, this is ridiculous. Another five planets discovered yesterday by the US telescope.

Rather than saying how many planets in our solor system, and putting them in text books and getting it all wrong, let's cut the crap ( :D ) and just say there's "loads". :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Are they planets or are they plutoids?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Or is it plutons - can't remember.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Said they were planets on news, Paul. :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, obviously, a nearby neighbouring solar system has too many planets, and can't get rid of them, so is dumping them in ours. Just wait till we catch them at it ......

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
We need some more, preferably a bit closer to us than Mars.
(maybe on the same orbit as the Earth)

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Won't see it in my life time, but some day we will be able to relocate planets and park them just as sats are parked.

3+earth could be accommodated in our orbit.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
3+earth could be accommodated in our orbit.

Don't think so. Minor pertubations in gravity would inevitaly cause the planets to congregate together and coalesce as one.

This is how the solar system built up as each planet swept up all the matter within its gravitational field on its orbit.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
spiney said:
Yes, PaulR, agreed!

The only stable positions are Lagrange Points:

http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEMM17XJD1E_index_0.html .

(Goerge Smith's famous Venus Equilateral stories used this!).

Not quite.

One thing the Lagrange theory overlooks is the gravitational pull of the object that is placed at the 'point', which is why it is usually classed as an observer.
Once a planet is put in the spot, it's own gravitational pull (coupled with it's size, and any other eccentricities of orbit due to mass displacement) is likely to knacker the whole solar system.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
The 3 body problem is always approximate, as Ch Ho should realise! Lagrange's theory does not "overlook" anything. (quite frankly, this remark - about one of the greatest ever mathematical astronomers - is surprisingly ignorant).

Solutions to 3 - or more - bodies are always via approximation techniques, "good enough" for all practical purposes, within the limits of experimental and calcuation accuracy.

Anyone wishing to follow up Lagrange or "3 body problem" weblinks may do so, use google, I won't bother giving any.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
If we can park them, then we can keep them parked. That's what the big parking thingy is good at. Sats use fuel to keep in slot we can use the our parking thingy.

See it even has a name. Hope it's a Honda one and not a Fiat one, they keep breaking down.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
spiney said:
(Goerge Smith's famous Venus Equilateral stories used this!).

followed by

spiney said:
The 3 body problem is always approximate, as Ch Ho should realise! Lagrange's theory does not "overlook" anything. (quite frankly, this remark - about one of the greatest ever mathematical astronomers - is surprisingly ignorant)

followed by

spiney said:
Solutions to 3 - or more - bodies are always via approximation techniques, "good enough" for all practical purposes, within the limits of experimental and calcuation accuracy.
Anyone wishing to follow up Lagrange or "3 body problem" weblinks may do so, use google, I won't bother giving any.

If I recall, 'Goerge Smith' dabbled with faster than light communication in at least one of his stories.:confused

Theory does not equate to reality, it is a theory. Spiney should (have) know(n) ;) that there is never certainty in anything, and all scientists work on the basis that nothing is absolute.

Anyone wishing to check what 'theory' actually means may do so, I will bother giving starters.:)

Pronunciation: 'thE-&-rE, 'thir-E
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ries
Etymology: Late Latin theoria, from Greek theOria, from theOrein
1 : the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another
2 : abstract thought : SPECULATION
3 : the general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an art <music theory>
4 a : a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action <her method is based on the theory that all children want to learn>
4 b : an ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances -- often used in the phrase in theory <in theory, we have always advocated freedom for all>
5 : a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena <the wave theory of light>
6 a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation
6 b : an unproved assumption : CONJECTURE
6 c : a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject <theory of equations>