Technomate 1500 CI+ Switching off

Satknight

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish on a stand
My Location
Yorkshire
Hello

My boss has a Technomate TM-1500 and it switches itself off randomly. It has been doing this for over a year probably longer and I suspected PSU capacitors but I never inspected it as we just left it as it was.

Usually he'll set a channel and set the video to record and when he comes back the box will be sat in standby and at some point on the tape you can see it just go off. I haven't found a pattern as sometimes it will be alright for weeks and then it does it several times a night.

Recently he got a new AlJazeera Sports card Viaccess 4.0 which opened all the channels except +9, so I suspected a software update, so it finally came to my house where I put on new Technomate software and +9 started working.
I took the opportunity to look inside and there are no signs of capacitors bulging anywhere but I replaced them all on the PSU anyway.

Now when the box is plugged in and switched on it won't come on straight away. If I plug it in and press the power button it starts to boot, the Technomate globe logo on the TV fades in and then fades out and the on screen display which shows the channel name on number just flashes and the box is now off.

I used a stopwatch and found I have to wait 63 seconds after plugging in before the box will start up and stay on. I don't know if it has always done this or if the new software is responsible.

I've timed the box when cold and hot and the time is still the same which I think rules out hardware and points to software.

I gave the box back with +9 working and said it might not switch off again. For the first 2 weeks it was okay but it started doing it again. He said that sometimes it goes off while he's there and he tries to put it back on but it just goes off. It is always okay after it has been left though.

I think there may be some issue with the PSU which cuts out and starts again which causes the box to start a cold boot which needs 63 seconds before it will stay on.

I don't know if these boxes are supposed to need time to start up, mine doesn't.

Is it software or hardware or both???

Thanks for your time

Zorch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
TM 6800 HD Super+
TM 5400 SD CI+ USB
QualiTv QS 1080 IRCI MPEG-2 [4:2:2]
Fibo 1.20m x 1.35m Dual-Offset Gregorian Antenna [30.0°W > 57.0°E]
Inverto Black Pro
Aston DS 200 Interface
LG 42LD790 HDTV
My Location
NW Midlands, UK
Hi Satknight,

Perhaps this problem can be solved by simply re-flashing the receiver... sometimes remnants of old software can remain (floating around) and this can cause all kinds of strange issues to arise...

The steps below detail the correct procedure for flashing new 'Official Software' onto the TM 1500 CI+ (If you already use this exact procedure... then please disregard this post)

1/ Connect TM 1500CI+ to PC with RS232 Null Modem Cable (as normal)

2/ Remove F-connector/feed from dish to receiver (optional but advised)

3/ Use your loader program to Upload an NDF file (all current stored satellites/channels/settings etc.) from the receiver to your PC

4/ Go into the Menu of receiver > System Settings > Factory Reset > PIN 0000 > Factory Reset

5/ Download the new 'Official Software' file to the receiver (make sure the 'Finish' button is clicked at the end of the download)

6/ Go into the menu of receiver > System Settings > Factory Reset > PIN 0000 > Factory Reset

7/ Go back into the Menu of receiver > 'System Information' and check the date on screen corresponds with the date of the 'Official Software' file

8/ Use your loader program to Download the NDF file (all current stored satellites/channels/settings etc.) back onto the receiver from your PC

9/ Switch the receiver 'Off' using the power switch on the rear of the unit

10/ Re-attach F-connector/feed from dish to receiver... then switch the receiver back on again using the power switch on the rear of the unit

11/ Go into menu > System Settings and reset the following sub-menus to your own personal preferences...

Time/Date Setting
A/V Output Setting
OSD Setting
Password Setting

12/ Lastly... don't forget to press the (+) Volume Control button on the remote to reset the audio level to 100% (or to your own personal preference)

I hope this helps...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Satknight

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish on a stand
My Location
Yorkshire
Hello, Thanks for replying.

I did most of that except for the factory reset, so I'll try and get hold of it and follow that procedure.

Regards

Zorch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+
TM 6800 HD Super+
TM 5400 SD CI+ USB
QualiTv QS 1080 IRCI MPEG-2 [4:2:2]
Fibo 1.20m x 1.35m Dual-Offset Gregorian Antenna [30.0°W > 57.0°E]
Inverto Black Pro
Aston DS 200 Interface
LG 42LD790 HDTV
My Location
NW Midlands, UK
Hi again Satknight,

The Factory resets either side of the Software download are the most important parts of the operation... they clear up any remnants of old software previously flashed onto the box... helping overall stability...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Satknight

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish on a stand
My Location
Yorkshire
Hello

I was recently given this box again to look at and when I had it, I just has a guess at looking at any standby/auto time settings and lo and behold the box had a automatic standby setting to switch off at 23:00.
This explains the rather strange behaviour of turning itself off until the time has changed to from 23:00 which is the time it starts up on just after it has been plugged in, very odd but after disabling the auto standby, there are no further problems.

cheers

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Good one!

It's always nice to hear what the root cause of these odd problems turned out to be - and others may benefit from it.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Interesting one :D

Thanks for sharing that - it might help someone in the future who is having the same issues :D