Transporting Method

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I have an assembled DIY library case 170x71x31 cm that I intend to transport to another building. The case has top, middle and bottom fixed shelves, which are assembled with 6 screws from the left and right sides each.
The back is just a piece of not so strong plywood imitation.
Distance about 300 meters and there are lifts in both buildings.
I also have 4 flanged heavy duty casters with 20cm diameters each.
How would you do it without using a car?
Have done it before with a smaller library case and smaller casters, so I know the method should work for the larger case.:)

Attachments

• Library.jpg
    Library.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 21
  • caster.jpg
    caster.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 19

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
I'd tie some ropes to it, and transport it on my back, without rollers.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
BombedOne said:
I'd tie some ropes to it, and transport it on my back, without rollers.

If you are serious BombedOne, then allow me to congratulate you on your physical strength.
My back would crack in just 2 seconds.:-rofl2

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Do you not have access to a sack trolley/truck?

or a couple of skateboards lol

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Well, I purchased such rack exactly at christmas at local IKEA style shop. There was heavy traffic on the road, so I took it to my home on my back, distance is approx. 300 meters. But it should be noted, mine is made from MDF, if yours is from solid sheets, it will be much much heavier.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It is quite easy round here to 'borrow' a flat bed trolley from one of the DIY stores, use it, and then return it the next day.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
The question was how to use the casters.
This is what I did:
Turn the library case so that it would sit on the floor with one side up, let us say the right side.
Then unscrew one of the four screws at top or bottom , align one of the casters so that each screw would go through one of the four holes on the flange and screw very tightly.
Repeat for the other three casters.
As each flange has four holes and you used only one hole, it might be a good idea to put some sticky tape round each flange and the surface of the library side to give it extra strength, but beware, as some adhesive tapes can damage the surface when you take off the casters later on.
When all four casters are secured in place, turn the library over so that the casters are now touching the floor.
You have just created a DIY trolley, with height about 90 cm which is quite convenient as it is not too low.
Pushing the library case then down the street or the pavement would be quite easy and amusing, especially if the surface is smooth and there is no heavy traffic or obstacles, like parked cars on the pavement.
You don't have to go too fast, as the vibration can cause the screws to become loose. Remember to take a screwdriver with you when you are on the street, just in case one of the screws becomes loose before you get to your destination.