TV Explorer or Rover STC

cheekymonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3 smallish dishes andaccess to 1 very big one.(7w, 13e,19e, 28.2e, 27.5w)
TM 5402hd,dm500s,vu+solo, pc,laptop,tablet,smartphone. Smartmeter S1 (since someone robbed my satcatcher excel tv mk4)) emitor micro HD. very old promax explorer
My Location
Canary Islands
Currently have an emitor satlook HD which is fine for 28.2E/19E etc over here in the canary islands but find it does struggle locking on some of the HD signals. (Will not lock on to 27.5W despite spectrum showing everything and technomate receivers showing 75% quality). Also lock is a little slow so can try the patience when working on the 4.5/5 mtr dishes for 28.2E UK.
Spectrum trace is a little slow so looking for another meter with more usable spectrum and might as well bite the bullet and get a combo DVBS/S2/T/C meter for the occasional antenna installs I get etc. Only really looking at used (to keep prices reasonable)

Current thoughts are a Rover master stc (200-300GBP on ebay) or a promax tv explorer (500-600)
Few questions though...
Some of the Rovers have an HD label on them whilst others do not yet the ones that do not still state that they can measure DVB-S2 What if anything is the difference?

The Promax is only SD but is it that much better particularly regarding spectrum trace times etc.

Would like the Promax HD Ranger light or Ultralight but do not think can justify the price and cannot see any of those coming to the used market for a while.

Basically looking for recommendations from anyone with experience of either/both meters. The Emitor will probably be the day to day meter for 28.2e/19e/13e etc and the other will be for the more complicated stuff and for faulting on hotel/multi-user systems.

Or if anyone has other ideas!!1

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
El Promax TV Explorer (prodig5) es igual que el ROVER SRM-50.
Mismo equipo con pantalla de 4'3", caja mas grande y firmware de Rover.
Como indicas, solo SD (satelite y TDT), es el que tengo prestado de un amigo.

Sensibilidad.?
Es solo un poco peor que un sintonizador, el analizador de espectro muy bien, de los canales HD bien, sin datos al no soportar HD.
Segunda mano 480€

Para canales HD tendrias que mirar el Promax TV Explorer II/Promax TV Explorer HD de segunda mano.
Nuevos 3000€ ~ 5000€, de segunda mano 1900€.
Mira en los almacenes de material de satelite, suelen tener equipos de segunda mano.

HD Ranger Lite (DVB-S/S2 DVB-T/C), nuevos son mucho mas baratos que el Promax TV Explorer II (2200€ ~ 2600€ nuevo) y funciona muy bien.
Busca de segunda mano.
Suerte.
----------------------
The Promax TV Explorer (prodig 5) is the same as the ROVER SRM-50.
Same computer screen 4'3 "bigger and Rover firmware box.
As you indicate, only SD (satellite and TDT), is that I have borrowed from a friend.
Sensitivity.?
It's just a little worse than a tuner, the spectrum analyzer very good, well-HD channels, no data to support not HD.
Resale 480 €
For HD channels you would have to look at the Promax TV Explorer II / Promax TV Explorer HD secondhand.
3000 New € ~ 5000 €, 1900 € second hand.
Look at the satellite stores material, usually have second hand equipment.

Ranger HD Lite (DVB-S / S2 DVB-T / C), new are much cheaper than the Promax TV Explorer II (2200 ~ 2600 € € again) and works very well.
Search secondhand.
Luck.

Attachments

• elMaestro_TDT.jpg
    elMaestro_TDT.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've got an HD Ranger and it is leaps and bounds above most of the other meters, just seen on on ebay secondhand.
Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Promax-HD-RANGER-Field-strength-signal-meter-tv-analyser-/401108016696?hash=item5d63e69e38:g:8TIAAOSw3mpXFiIh

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Promax meters are impressive. Can't justify the cost for an amateur like me though...

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
I've got an HD Ranger and it is leaps and bounds above most of the other meters, just seen on on ebay secondhand.
Code:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Promax-HD-RANGER-Field-strength-signal-meter-tv-analyser-/401108016696?hash=item5d63e69e38:g:8TIAAOSw3mpXFiIh

Tempted.... but happy with Televes H45 for now, although getting older, like us all.

cheekymonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3 smallish dishes andaccess to 1 very big one.(7w, 13e,19e, 28.2e, 27.5w)
TM 5402hd,dm500s,vu+solo, pc,laptop,tablet,smartphone. Smartmeter S1 (since someone robbed my satcatcher excel tv mk4)) emitor micro HD. very old promax explorer
My Location
Canary Islands
thanks to all. Do like the look of the hd ranger and i guess the lite or ultralite would be more than adequate. Still a bit over budget. Will be sticking in a silly bid on that one on ebay but doubt I will get it for what i bid.

No comments on the rover stc...guess that says a lot and presume why they go pretty cheap on ebay etc.

Did notice another meter ...Prime Digital Easy touch (Rover instruments)...looks okay although spectrum does look a little slow and seen it for about 800€ new

Must admit for just the sat side of things i am a little disappointed in the Emitor...nowhere near as good as my old satcatcherIV (which was robbed). Expected better but my smartmeter s1 locks on quicker (but quality does jump around a bit) and that was half the price

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I had an Emitor and thought it was awful. Extremely slow locking even with strong signal and sometimes not locking at all.

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)