UK EPG on Enigma2

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
A nice EPG is distributed with Gemini 4.4 as an addon in downloads, however, if you want to use this on a DM7025, you have to have at least 128MB swap file set up. It is called e2_loadepg and gives a week's EPG in advance. It downloads the OpenTV EPG data and sets in up for Enigma2 (NOT Enigma1). If you don't provide the swap space it will fail with a "segmentation fault".
It is also advisable to set it up in cron to run once a week, alternatively you can run it by hand, but it runs a long time (1 hour or so for several sats).

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
This EPG (v0.44) worked great under Gemini 4.0 on an DM7025, but I can't get the latest version(0.52) working under Gemini 4.4 where it is plugin download from the Gemini server. It runs fine but the EPG does not show even though the scripts copy the ext.epg.dat file to gemini.epg.dat, in the configured location, after it is generated. Behaviour on the 7025 is better than on the 800 as the 7025 just does not display the EPG, whereas it seems to cause the 800 to crash Enigma.

Has anybody managed to get the latest version working on Gemini 4.4?

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Problem solved on DM800 and DM7025.
1. Enable swap file as this requires lots of memory to run. If swap is not enabled then you will get "segmentation fault" crashes.
2. You have to edit /media/<device>/e2_loadepg/dl_modules/bskybsat-channel_list.conf to enable the epg for the channels you are interested in. It comes with about 6 channels enabled - the rest are disbaled.
<device> is cf or hda1 .
3. Set a cron task to run daily at some time early in the morning. Bear in mind that it runs for around an hour when lots of channels are enabled.
4. You have to fix some channel names that have changed e.g. "paramountcomedy 1" has changed to "ComedyCentral". These have to match the name exactly as in your epg on your TV as it is the only tie up with the epg. While running ot produces a list of mismatches in /media/<device>/e2_loadepg.log.

5. I don't know whether the EPG settings in the BP/Settings has any effect, but I have set everything to "yes".

This plugin works great and gives a 7 day EPG for UK channels. The great thing about this plugin is that it gets its epg information from the satellite, NOT from some website. Also module for Italy channels(satellite) and rai(website - currently not accessible).

Attached my channel_list. The channel names have not all been fixed yet.

Attachments

• bskybsat-channel_list.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 108

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR &amp; DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 &amp; Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full &amp; 24&quot; Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
The latest nabilo images take care of UK EPG very nicely mate. Again its downloaded via sat and can be setup to auto update nightly or weekly or what ever.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
The posted problem is with Gemini 4.4.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Yeah I read that. In nabilo it just works.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
I was not trying to start an argument, I just thought the post might be helpful to people, like me, that prefer Gemini and it also runs on DM600.

It might also be useful to people that have more than one satellite and need an epg for Sly Italy or Rai or Aus Tv etc etc. There are many modules available for e2_loadepg in the installation folder and they can be selected from the config files. Channel_lists are included for the other providers as well, but might require the same editing as the UK one to enable the epg for channels of interest.

andel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800, DM600, Technomate Diseqc Motor, 90cm Dish
Panasonic 42&quot; Plasma 1080p
Pioneer VSX-LX70 Amp
Sky HD
B &amp; W 5.1 Speaker Setup
Popcornhour Media center
Xbox 360
My Location
Watching T.V in the UK
can anyone shed any light on why i have gaps/missing info in my epg?
I'm using nabilo 0.11.
I've also tried a plugin 'cross epg' and i get the same results

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
I cannot be sure, but I think the problem lies in the channel_list file. It has to contain the exact name of each channel as it exists in the STB lamedb as scanned from the satellite, as this is the only match that can be made. If there is no matching entry, the information is lost. The satellite signal also has to be near perfect otherwise you will see garbled program descriptions. The channel_list distributed with Gemini has very few channels enabled for EPG and some channel names are incorrect, e.g. paramountcomedy has become comedycentral, so these need editing. All of these EPGs are based on E2_LOADEPG by Ambrosa and use the same binaries for scanning OpenTV epg streams. The native E2_LOADEPG also supports getting epg information from some websites and works quite well for the UK and Italy. I cannot get RAI to work as it fails to connect to the website.
For Dutch/Belgian epg check out _http://www.rytec.be.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Some good info there mate, it may be relevant to the nabilo setup too. My 3 Sly Sports HD channels don't pick up any EPG, if I remember rightly I probably have renamed them in my bouquets, just spacing I think. I'll check out the names and compare them in the channel_list file. What is the location of this file please ?

Also I'm wondering if the channel list update function in nabilo's EPG setup is anything to do with matching up these channel names.....

Gerry55

Reaction score
Hi
Try changing (Hip Hop) from a radio channel to a TV channel, it worked for me.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
That's essential mate. Hip Hop is updating my EPG just fine but I do have a few missing channels, even after running the channel update.

andel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800, DM600, Technomate Diseqc Motor, 90cm Dish
Panasonic 42&quot; Plasma 1080p
Pioneer VSX-LX70 Amp
Sky HD
B &amp; W 5.1 Speaker Setup
Popcornhour Media center
Xbox 360
My Location
Watching T.V in the UK
B16MCC said:
That's essential mate. Hip Hop is updating my EPG just fine but I do have a few missing channels, even after running the channel update.

yes im the same as you mate

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
The channel_list file is in the "dl_modules" directory below the directory where the e2_loadepg.py file is installed, in the case of E2_LOADEPG. To find it
"find / -name bskybsat-channel_list.conf" from a telnet session. The help info is at the top of the file. I have it installed on hard disk so it is
/media/hda1/e2_loadepg/dl_modules/bskybsat-channel_list.conf

coley

Reaction score
I am getting nothing on hip hop now it used to work great until I did a reinstal of nab now it does not kick in. I first scanned 28e my self, changed hippy hoppy to tv no luck tried download likra new channel list still no luck

Tried it on c+nl and worked fine.

Would love to get this working again as I just got a new hard drive for it.

Thanks
Coley

WildBit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-DM800 fixed on 28.2-quad
-DM7020 motorized
-Skystar HD2 motorized
-Cards&amp;Cams&amp;Cas
My Location
Ireland
I've been battling this problem for at least 2 years! The EPG issue has always been the downside according to the "abused" tv viewers of my house. I have finally found a solution that really works, FOR EVERY CHANNEL. I can assure you that I've tested just about every E1 and E2 image out there; without going into boring details, PLI is the best image if you hold SKY UK EPG as a top priority. This is valid both for E1 version (SQL import script) but mostly the E2 Jade 3 + CrossEPG plugin. With this last combination I have an updating full 7 day listing for EVERY CHANNEL. I suppose I don't watch all the channels (in fact I don't watch tv at all apart footie) but I haven't found a channel without a listing yet...

If you want to test this, use JADE 3 6654 or earlier for the plugin to work correctly

coley

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply wildbit I really need to try all the images but it puts me off when it takes an hour to do a flash over serial. As I found that a ethernet one does not clear the previous completly out.

Anyway found my problem the nab epg stores 2 files at this location /usr/share/dict
dictionary.uk
channels.uk

channels uk was not there so I renamed the austrialian to uk and did update channels in the nab epg panel and happy days found the info

BMc that might be your problem of missing channels in the epg.

Coley

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
I am a bit confused. E2_LOADEPG works for all channels on several satellites. It is the epg used by Nabilosat - see this thread
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox800/141612-sky-uk-epg-soon-available-e2-boxes.html

Most other OpenTV epgs are derivatives of e2_loadepg (including crossepg). The installation is bit fiddly, but quite clearly documented and then you just need the updated channels_list file and you need to update one line in /usr/bin/enigma2.sh (clearly documented). Or you can download through the Gemini Blue Panel and edit channel_list file or grab it from above. You edit e2_loadepg.conf and select the EPGs that you want and enable the channels that you want in the channel_list files for each EPG. It is easily configured, runs off flash, hard drive or usb. And it will support all channels in your lamedb for your setup (provided it has OpenTV format for satellite download or XMLTv format for websites (not like radio times which is a proprietary format).
You then use cron to set up a daily run, most likely at about 04h00 when nobody is watching TV. The daily run ensures a full 7 days ahead of epg. If you run it weekly then the epg will get shorter and shorter as the new days to complete 7 days will not get added.
So, for the people with NBH, the channel_list problem will also apply if someone has not fixed the channel_list.

Note. To keep files (and cache) smaller and run times shorter, it is advisable to only enable channels that you want an EPG for and disble the ones you dont need. Please also note that some channels dont seem to give an epg at all (I think UK Gold is one of them or used to be).

tomthebomb1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo 250gig/ DreamElite BH 1.3.2 Multiboot

Dreambox 500s-(clone) / DM-600

Relook 400s 160 Gig-/SifTeam 1.93 e enigma

Foretec 90cm Dish with Nikkai Diseqc Motor- 2 sky+ receivers fixed 28.2 east.
My Location
Newtownabbey, near Belfast, Northern Ireland
coley said:
Thanks for the reply wildbit I really need to try all the images but it puts me off when it takes an hour to do a flash over serial. As I found that a ethernet one does not clear the previous completly out.

Anyway found my problem the nab epg stores 2 files at this location /usr/share/dict
dictionary.uk
channels.uk

channels uk was not there so I renamed the austrialian to uk and did update channels in the nab epg panel and happy days found the info

BMc that might be your problem of missing channels in the epg.

Coley
heres how to put the ones you want directly into the channels.uk list.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox800/151079-dm800-channel-list.html#post839993