VU+ headaches

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
malcom123 said:
You can edit the bouqets (favourites) By deleting and number changing...(Delete only deletes from bouquet not the channel itself) Just got that sorted........What does not seem to possible is to edit the "MAIN" list......ie remove unwanted channels
That must be image dependant then because I have no way to do that with mine. I never use the "main" list that contains all the channels. It's in alphabetical order so it's no good for zapping. Editing/deleting that list is easy from the PC.

malcom123 said:
My old cheap and chearfull Samsung did everything the user wanted in terms of editing.......Complex and yet simple to use. Also gave much more channel info without having to select menues.......Modern receivers I have to say are just half machines.......Stuff left of they could have given from new purchase instead of having to complete the machines functions by downloads
I've got old cheap and cheerful receivers too. Yes, you can edit them from the remote but it is painstaking and in no way user friendly.

I'm attaching a screenshot of DBedit so you can see what it is. The left hand window is the "MAIN" list. If you want to delete channels you just highlight the channel and press the delete button... The right hand window is your bouquets list. The central window is one of the bouquets. To put channels in it you just drag them from the "MAIN" list. And to remove you just highlight and delete. Once you are happy with what you have created you just press "FTP" and a couple of seconds later it is loaded on the Vu and ready to use.

Attachments

• DBedit.jpg
    DBedit.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 87

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
malcom123 said:
Should not auto scan just scan all transponders on one selected satellite position at a time!!!!!! Or have I got the wrong end of the stick.
It scans all the transponders on all the satellites. If you just want to scan one transponder or one satellite use manual scan.

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised system. Samsung reciever. Sky HD
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Thank's that's helpfull. This via dreambox software you mentioned!!!!!! But what do you mean just press FTP..I still don't know what FTP is.......Can this be done by using a usb flash drive!!!!! I have looked at "network" on the VU+ but its like another language no idea about the terminology used with network settings........That's why I just cannot go down the computer road.....

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Huevos said:
It scans all the transponders on all the satellites. If you just want to scan one transponder or one satellite use manual scan.

Ahh.. Perhaps the menu box that froze was in conflict with my simple settings option.......it did ask for yes to all or no to all but would not accept any answer without locking up......

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
malcom123 said:
This via dreambox software you mentioned!!!!!! But what do you mean just press FTP..I still don't know what FTP is.......Can this be done by using a usb flash drive!!!!! I have looked at "network" on the VU+ but its like another language no idea about the terminology used with network settings........That's why I just cannot go down the computer road.....
If you look in the image I posted it is the second button from the left (green and round). You just click that and the settings are sent to the box.

USB, not for updating the channels list.

Network settings might look alien but it is pretty easy once you know. Anyway that is what the forum is for. What sort of network do you have?

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
What sort of network!!!! See what i mean i don't know..Just a BT internet connection to me............Cable connected Router....(not usb cable) forget what its called......Does that help!!!!!!

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
connect your vu+ to your router with a rj45 ethernet cable, check to see if you have any spare connections on the bt hub is it your using ?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
It should look kind of like a telephone plug. So on the router is there more than one socket? If so to connect up you just need to run a cable from the router to the Vu+.

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Huevos said:
It should look kind of like a telephone plug. So on the router is there more than one socket? If so to connect up you just need to run a cable from the router to the Vu+.

Router It has 4 connection all look alike one in use.....Ethernet printed over the two middle connections so I assume they are all ethernet!!!!! Distance from router to VU+ is about 16ft at least........Does not cable distance affect reliabilty!!!!!!

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
wod said:
connect your vu+ to your router with a rj45 ethernet cable, check to see if you have any spare connections on the bt hub is it your using ?

Thank's welcome to the party.......:)

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Ok guys many thanks for your help and tolorence..........Need some sleep now expect I'll be back sometime tomorrow....In the mean time thanks and have a good night......Regards......

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
malcom123 said:
Router It has 4 connection all look alike one in use.....Ethernet printed over the two middle connections so I assume they are all ethernet!!!!! Distance from router to VU+ is about 16ft at least........Does not cable distance affect reliabilty!!!!!!

it will work fine cat5 cable is good for over 50metres so 16ft is going to be ok, plug the cable into the router and receiver and away you go. then you will need to go into the network setup option and see if its been picked up and got an ip address, make a note of the ip address for when you use dreambox edit and any ftp file transfer software.

I dont have one yet so the above is just general but should be similar to other linux receivers settings.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
wod said:
go into the network setup option and see if its been picked up and got an ip address
Personally I'd rather use a static IP so there is no chance of the IP changing if the power goes off.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
Huevos said:
Personally I'd rather use a static IP so there is no chance of the IP changing if the power goes off.

Thanks, I had forgotten to mention that, unticking the option about automatically getting an ip address to make it static.

I wonder how far malcom has got, shall be getting myself one as they are 349 now.

aileen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6800 HD. Now died. Protek HD 9750
Motorised 88 cm dish
Installed by Robbo
Mac computers
My Location
S E Kent
I have one. (Solo) Son-in-Law left it here after Christmas then returned to his work abroad. Second box he has left behind over the years. (Sold the last one on here) I think its an Xmas present. He can afford it. Buys things and gets fed up with them after a while.

I have been dreading trying to set it up but from what I have read above there is a lot of tolerance for newbie questions on the Forum and a sharing of advice is well appreciated.

Will start a new thread when I have a 'brave' day. One problem I might have is my Computer is a Mac and most of the items mentioned above are for PCs

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
We try and be a friendly forum for all levels of experience. :)

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
wod said:
Thanks, I had forgotten to mention that, unticking the option about automatically getting an ip address to make it static.

I wonder how far malcom has got, shall be getting myself one as they are 349 now.

Hi. Still here. Bad headache day yesterday......No not the VU+ headache sinus headach instead. :)
getting used to it bit by bit.......Checking how many channels by scanning different satellite......Having no luck with Eurobird 9deg.....only a dozen channels show up pixelating......I assume my dish position is not stored correctly at that one. Can't use usuals as it's an old seperate positioner....What number of channels both FTA anf encryped included could I expect to get a 9deg!!!!!!!!

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Would any of the main high street electrical goods suppliers stock ethenet cable 16ft or more.......I assume the connection to the box is only temporary for puposes of uploading stuff to the box....Doesn't need to be left connected does it. If it does I'll need a good deal longer cable to patch around the skirting boards.....

malcom123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birminham west midlands
Does VU+ makers have a business address and or phone number?????? Web page does not supply such info....I have used their e-mail address to make an enquiry about the VU+Solo before I bought the VU+ duo and have not received any reply.......Which is a bit worrying not replying to e-mails........So their registered business address would be usful in case a situation arose that I needed to contact them............

aileen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6800 HD. Now died. Protek HD 9750
Motorised 88 cm dish
Installed by Robbo
Mac computers
My Location
S E Kent
Suggest use ethernet through the Mains circuit. Need to be connected all the time I'm told